Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those w/ Carlisle tire problems

B-rad502

stoker
    I just filed a claim. Thanks for the post.

Slick
    I called Carlisle directly and the gal tried to give me the runaround.
    I then took the trailer over to Discount tire for them to inspect the blown tire and the others. Needless to say, they pulled all four and replaced them all for the cost of road hazard and state fees. They also filled out the initial paperwork to send to Goodyear for a claim on the trailer.

MOBrien
    This concerns me.
    I just bought my boat 4 months ago and the prev owner just put 6 new Carlisles on the trailer. I'm gonna check out the model number asap...since they are having issues, think they'd replace them BEFORE my rig ends up sideways down the freeway? Has anyone been proactive in getting something done about it without having to wait for the blowout?
    Thanks for the heads-up.

B-rad502
    You know, the last one's I blewwwere only 1 1/2 years old, still had the little hairs on the sidewall. The boat is kept inside also. I check the pressures in each tire minutes before I leave every single trip. This was just a bad batch of tires, apparently. I have all new Goodyear's now and feel pretty safe with them. I also had the whole set up weighed on a truck scale and found I was still about 700 lbs. away from the max load the tires are rated for. That was loaded down with fuel and gear. I only tow at about 60 mph too.
    Good luck!

gmocnik
    every time this topic comes up....
    the carlisle tires that had "issues" were sub-contracted to goodyear and had "Radial ST" on the sidewall..
    The newer Carslisle "Radial Trail" is built by Carlisle and is an all new design...
    I had issues with the old ones and they warranty replaced all of mine with the Radial Trails...
    No dramas so far and several mid-day 105 degree towing experiences...
    gm

Slick
    I received alot of contradicting information when I called Carlisle. The gal (whose name I got off of this board) told me the problem is that people are running the tires at or close to max pressure (50psi) and they should be run with less psi. This is what was causing the tires to heat up and blow out Also, many of the boat trailers are overloaded with fuel and gear. Here's the kicker, all trailer specific tires are rated at 65mph max.
    For starters, I was never told by discount nor were the tires labeld with a max mph. Second, the gal was completely wrong when she mentioned the tires needed to be run at a lower psi. I was always told (and confirmed by the manager at Discount) that the higher the psi, the cooler the tire runs. Third, my rig is so far under the weight limit (even loaded) for four tires it's not even funny.

MudPumper
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Slick
    [B]Here's the kicker, all trailer specific tires are rated at 65mph max.
    For starters, I was never told by discount nor were the tires labeld with a max mph.
    Thats because they put it all over the freeway on those funny black and white signs that say Trucks/Autos with trailers 55mph Max.
    She is wrong about the pressure heat deal though. Less pressure=more heat. I have an infrared thermometer that I use to check hub and tire temp when ever I stop for gas or food and my tire temp after towing 300miles to Parker was about 90deg.

Slick
    Originally posted by MudPumper
    Thats because they put it all over the freeway on those funny black and white signs that say Trucks/Autos with trailers 55mph Max.
    You might have those funny signs in the "Land of Fruits and Nuts" but we don't have them in the great State of Arizona

MudPumper
    Yeah, it sucks. I think were one of the few states that has the 55 restriction!:frown:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast