Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need intake manifold for 460 ASAP

riverbound
    I just got a call form the people that re building my motor for me and they said that the intake manifold that was on my boat was the worng one. It had a429 cobra jet manifold and the ports are too big. Does anyone have a 460 manifold, stock or aftermarket that they want to get rid of? I need it asap, I will have to go to Jegs or sumitt next but if anyone here needs some money and or garage space let me know. My motor was supposed to be done Friday and I want to get my boat running again.
    Thanks in adavnce
    Bill
    (909)734-8770

Hallett19
    I have a stock one, if you just want to borrow it till you upgrade just come pick it up. I'm in Pasadena.

Mrs.sleekcraft76
    most of the marine 460's used cobra jet manafolds . i ran a cj intake for two years on d3ve-a2a heads "small port" and had no problam at all just make sure their using cj intake gasket's

sleekcraft76
    dam she did not log out again hate that!!!

riverbound
    Originally posted by Mrs.sleekcraft76
    most of the marine 460's used cobra jet manafolds . i ran a cj intake for two years on d3ve-a2a heads "small port" and had no problam at all just make sure their using cj intake gasket's
    They also said something about the oil splashing the exhaust crossover and burning the oil.
    Is there any performance loss running it set up this way?

spectras only
    Riverbound, The cast iron intake you have is a SCJ intake [ rare now ,since OMC used them up on their 460 King cobra packages].Like sleeckcraft76 said , use it with the blue felpro 429 intake gasket .There's always a debate on how this effects/create turbulance , but this setup worked very well in racing ,for the Robinson Ford guys in the past. I had this intake ran on 429 or 460 fords with great result.There are very few alu intakes with brass molded in at the water passages ,and they're expensive if you can find one. Have the heat crossover welded shut on the intake , use a 1" or 2 " phenolic spacer to keep the carb cool and you all set.

LakesOnly
    The intake that is on your engine will provide greater power than the passenger car 429/460 intake manifold, even though there is a port mis-match with your curretn manifold.
    Run it.
    Paul

riverbound
    I'm going to order a weinad stealth manifold for a 460. My motor is on the dyno right now so I need to get this done It dynoed at 511hp with the manifold leaking. So I might as well try to bump it up a little.

Originally posted by spectras only
    Riverbound, The cast iron intake you have is a SCJ intake [ rare now ,since OMC used them up on their 460 King cobra packages].Like sleeckcraft76 said , use it with the blue felpro 429 intake gasket .There's always a debate on how this effects/create turbulance , but this setup worked very well in racing ,for the Robinson Ford guys in the past. I had this intake ran on 429 or 460 fords with great result.There are very few alu intakes with brass molded in at the water passages ,and they're expensive if you can find one. Have the heat crossover welded shut on the intake , use a 1" or 2 " phenolic spacer to keep the carb cool and you all set.
    I agree with all this information from spectra and lakes. Probably the only iffy thing would be the exhaust gas crossover. I ran my last intake and didn't block off the crossover. I just recently pulled that manifold off and put a tunnelram on. I ran it that way for four years and saw just a little discoloration on the bottom of the manifold. I used the felpro gasket set (not the turkey tray) and what I saw was really nothing to be concerned about. I've heard that you can gain a couple horsepower by welding the crossover, but I'm betting the gains would be almost imperceptible.
    As for the mismatch of CJ intake and non-CJ heads.......apparently this was a common practice "back in the day" and had even shown some gains over using a non-CJ intake (the so called "proper intake") on those same heads. I've seen it done quite a few times and the boats all ran just fine, even using the old iron CJ intake (heavy as hell). If nothing else you can always change the intake at a later time as it's not a big deal to swap em.
    Surprised that the machine/engine shop hasn't heard of this being done before.

TopCat
    i hav a Ford motorsport alum intake new 175.00 shipping is free Pm me if interested(same as edlebrock victor)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast