Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Boatcop - Wakeboading in no wake zones

goneboatin
    This last weekend I tried to get on the lake, but Havasu Springs and Cattail Cove were full and I didn't fell like driving all the way up to Havasu, so we did the Parker strip. We launched at Bluewater since we were staying there. As I pulled out of the Marina some SOB in a tournament boat pulling a wakeboarder in the no wake zone yells and flips me off. I talked to another boater sitting out in the water and asked him if he saw what happened. He said that some wakeboard outfit made a deal with Bluewater to exhibit and demo wakeboards, and if the person liked it, they could buy it at a discount price and it was okay for the wakeboarders to use the area in front of the beach on the island
    Did I miss something? No wake zone means no wake....period. How is it that that rule only applies to some and not others? If they're going to try out wakeboards, they can putt out past the no wake zone just like everyone else and demo them out there.
    How is that even enforceable? I wanted to try to get my 6 year old on skis, and thought this would be the perfect time and place since the rules obviously were not being enforced, but my wife told me not to because with our luck, I'd end up getting a ticket and I'd be pissed off all weekend.
    What gonig on here?

Some Kind Of Monster
    Someone must have been misinformed...

Up 4 River
    Wakesports Unlimited in Orange and San Diego had their Annual weekend out there at the Bluwater this past weekend. Sorry to hear about the disrepect shown by the driver of the boat. I have a couple buddies who work at the shop in Orange and I know the owner. I don't know the rules on renting out the no wake zone, but knowing the owner I am sure he would not have approved of the way the driver treated you and your family.
    U4R

superdave013
    wow, if you can rent that area that would be great.
    We could do flatbottom passes all day! whoo hoo!
    I thought that it was NO WAKE due to the damage to the wet lands in that area. If that's even close to true I'ed think a wake board boat would be the very last thing they would rent to.

RiverDave
    You know I've been seeing this ALOT lately.. Everytime though it seems to be a some wakeboard company or tournament boat company having some sort of regatta there so they don't enforce the No Wake Zone for them during demonstrations or "shows." (One of them had a wake boarding show of some sort?)
    I was kinda wondering though how the HumpBackChub felt about all this? Being that the Chub is the reason that the no wake zone is there to begin with?
    RD

Up 4 River
    I wonder why they can't do it like Mike Mack's use to in front of Sports Valley? I remember back in the day they would give demo's and shows right in front of that place and we would all anchor on the river and watch from the dock.
    Man I miss the good old days at Parker!

Boatcop
    The club at Bluewater this past weekend had a Marine Event Permit, issued by the Coast Guard that allowed them an exemption to the "No Wake" provision.
    They SHOULD have had signs at the Marina, at the Ramp, and on some perimeter boats stating that a permitted event was happening. I was out of town all weekend, so didn't get a chance to see if they were using them.
    If those signs weren't present, and they didn't have any perimiter boats, then they were in violation of their own permit. I'll pass this on to the Coast Guard, whch may impact any future events that they apply for.
    The thing with the marsh, is that the endangered species that inhabits there (a bird called the Yuma Clapperrail) builds their nests on the surface of the water, back in the reeds.
    They can stand some disturbance from wakes. They will leave and come back with minimal impact. If there is constant disturbance, they will abandon their nests, and any eggs/young birds that may be there.
    The protocol for the Moovalya Marsh says that an event that disturbs the marsh can be held, as long as there are a minimum of 3 weeks between events.
    The SCSC races held there in the spring and fall, and the endurance ski races held there are also subject to the protocol.
    Thanks for letting me know about the lack of information and the conduct of the participants. The Coast Guard will be notified promptly.

HCS
    They over stepped their boundaries. Just because the have a permit
    doesn't mean they own they lake.

RiverDave
    Originally posted by Up 4 River
    I wonder why they can't do it like Mike Mack's use to in front of Sports Valley? I remember back in the day they would give demo's and shows right in front of that place and we would all anchor on the river and watch from the dock.
    Man I miss the good old days at Parker!
    Nowdays that's one of the roughest sections of the river.
    RD

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by goneboatin
    As I pulled out of the Marina some SOB in a boat pulling a wakeboarder in the no wake zone yells and flips me off.
    What gonig on here?
    The big question of the day is;
    Where was RD????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast