Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: low oil pressure

272 baja 502
    I need some help.
    New baja 272 this season. 502 mag. I thought the drain plug was in....... but wasnt. It was connected to one of those eazy change hoses that hooks to the bottom of the oil pan. The hose pulled out the hole in the transoms and got cut into. I lost 3 quarts of oil out of 7 and got a little water in the oil too. looked like milkshake but not too bad. I did a complete oil change and filter. The new oil looks good no water in it.
    I have about 30 psi oil pressure at crusing speed and above. boat still runs the same speed as b4. only have 15-20 psi pressure at idle. My manual says min 4 psi at idle and 30-70psi above 2000 rpm.
    my question is 30 psi seems alittle low to me at 4-5000 rpm. ive always heard 10psi for every 1000 rpms. Am i runing a risk of messing something up if i keep runing the engine. If my clearances are a little big will they just wear more. am i ok as long as it runs strong and no noises. I have 225 hours on the engine dont really want to pull it out to check the bearings. Any ideas would be helpful.

Fiat48
    Key question: What was the oil pressure BEFORE you had the problem?

Infomaniac
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    Key question: What was the oil pressure BEFORE you had the problem?
    Exactly what I was going to say.
    Cut the filter open and look inside. Especially the one you just changed. If not change the filter you have on now and look in it. it will tell the tale.

Wet Dream
    I've got the same thing going on with my engine. I thought my electrical gauge was giving a false reading, but thats not the case. I ran a mechanical gauge to back it up. I'm running straight 40wt during these readings and I run an oil cooler.
    Cold idle: 52psi @ 1000 rpm Oil temp <140
    After a good run
    hot idle: 12psi oil temp 220
    at 3000 rpm 30psi
    The lifters weren't making any noise and when the oil would cool, it was right back up to 52psi. I changed the oil filter, still no change. Nothing in the filter other than a very minor silver sheen and this motor only had 1 hour on it. I'm thinking the oil is getting way too thin, or the crank is aerating the oil. I ran the piss out of it for 3 days and it still held together. I'm going to do an oil change before I go out again and run straight 50 Valvoline VR1, or a 20/50.

272 baja 502
    I'm kicking myself for not knowing the oil pressure b4 this happened. im thinking arround 40 psi. stock engine so i had not worried about it gauge. It comes up when i started it and did not pay much attention to it after that. the old filter is gone already i did not think about cuting it open. ill check the one that is there now as soon as i can get by the parts store and get another one. thanks for the input. any other ideas? anyone with similiar engine?

Fiat48
    I'd say the oil pressure is a little low. Since we don't have a baseline oil pressure of the engine and the filter has been thrown away we don't have much to go by.
    But..you might pull the rocker covers and look for any shiny particles in the cylinder head.
    My guess (and that's all it is) is you opened some clearances. If your not going in the motor, I'd suggest a heavier weight oil.

repo man
    auto zone sells valvoline vr1 60 wt racing oil $2.29 a qt. my big blk work truck was down to 20 lbs at idle three years ago switched to this oil and so far got three more years out of it. now she makes 60 lbs at idle hot.

captainauti
    ams oil 15/40. best around..... i gained 350 RPMs on top end after running it a while

Big Boys Toy PE857
    Any time the topic is oil pressure I feel compelled to urge you guys to stay away from Fram oil filters. After 2 bad episodes personally and one with a close racing buddy of mine I have been on the anti-Fram campaign.
    T/Y for your time.

repo man
    Originally posted by Big Boys Toy PE857
    Any time the topic is oil pressure I feel compelled to urge you guys to stay away from Fram oil filters. After 2 bad episodes personally and one with a close racing buddy of mine I have been on the anti-Fram campaign.
    T/Y for your time. if not fram than what do you recomend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast