Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lab Finishing?

MOBrien
    Hey folks,
    What's the low-down on lab finishing? What does it accomplish? What does it usually cost? Who are the experienced go-to's to get it done?
    Later,
    MOB

mbrown2
    You can do a search on here on Lab Propellers and see who uses who...but from my experience on what they do:
    They are faster 3-4Mph in my case...these are labbed cleavers versus non labbed cleavers, but Lab'd Cleavers are also paper thin and sharp...meaning don't F them up, or you are SOL...you need to constantly check for cracks and Merc is not going to replace their potato chip racing props even if they are several months old and you have not hit anything...
    I run non-labbed for every day running, and only bring the lab'd out if I want throw the sticks down for the day running around light...
    Not sure if the Bravo lab'd props are paper thin...probably not, but the cleavers lab'd are pretty much racing thin...
    Also, I have only gotten my labbed props from Mercury Racing..

Boatmaster
    Ditto. I am a merc dealer and would be more than happy to get your prop labbed by merc or set you up with a new one Drew 925-828-5775.

Jrocket
    I had a Bravo1 28P Lab from Merc that cracked a blade.4 months old and no warranty.Merc tech said they have different steps for finish.Basically I had the thinnest model that they do.Ran 200-300 rpm higher than a normal stock prop.A little harder to get on plane with but ran well once it hooked up.Not worth the money unless your looking for every last mph.

MOBrien
    That answers a lot in my case. COrrect me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that it's really only worth it if you're running a lot of HP?....of which I am not. Bone stock 7.4 MPI/Bravo 1 turning a 21P 4 blade "Revolution" prop. My problem is that I can't do much with this motor since it's not the Mag 7.4 unless I want to completely tear it down and re-build. And that is something the wife would never allow....at least not yet. So I'm trying to find out what else I can do with it to squeeze out some more rpm & mph. Any bolt-on ideas?

mbrown2
    Mo, I am not a fan of any simple bolt on upgrades...at least I really don't think they are worth their cost from a seat of the pants feel....Funny, but about 5 years ago, I bought a used Eliminator 23 with a 7.4 liter stock...and bought the upgrade to the 454Mag that Lavey had sitting around...they could not install it for a week, so I took the boat and drove it around ...and then a week later drove it around with the new engine...it was a 55Hp upgrade, and to tell the truth, it was somewhat noticeable but not like night and day....so unless you want to start with a new long block 540 some time from now, put your accessories on, and build that new motor to put out 600hp, I would not even touch your 7.4....leave it turn key and stock...
    Maybe try a couple different props to get you quicker response or better top end and utilize them for different occasions....I know folks will tell you to upgrade your exhaust, remap ECU, higher flow air filter...and I would not do any of them...
    The only upgrade I would do would be a Whipple, but I would not do it to a 7.4 liter since it not as beefy as the Mag....However a whipple on a 540 will be like night and day

boxscore
    Originally posted by mbrown2
    Mo, I am not a fan of any simple bolt on upgrades...at least I really don't think they are worth their cost from a seat of the pants feel....Funny, but about 5 years ago, I bought a used Eliminator 23 with a 7.4 liter stock...and bought the upgrade to the 454Mag that Lavey had sitting around...they could not install it for a week, so I took the boat and drove it around ...and then a week later drove it around with the new engine...it was a 55Hp upgrade, and to tell the truth, it was somewhat noticeable but not like night and day....so unless you want to start with a new long block 540 some time from now, put your accessories on, and build that new motor to put out 600hp, I would not even touch your 7.4....leave it turn key and stock...
    Maybe try a couple different props to get you quicker response or better top end and utilize them for different occasions....I know folks will tell you to upgrade your exhaust, remap ECU, higher flow air filter...and I would not do any of them...
    The only upgrade I would do would be a Whipple, but I would not do it to a 7.4 liter since it not as beefy as the Mag....However a whipple on a 540 will be like night and day
    Now THAT is some damn good advice. Hey Mike ... we must meet some day , shoot the shit, and put a little stress on the ice chest.

Three Days Only
    Originally posted by mbrown2
    I would not even touch your 7.4....leave it turn key and stock...
    I would not do it to a 7.4 liter since it not as beefy as the Mag....However a whipple on a 540 will be like night and day
    I would have to agree with Mr Mbrown........... I wouldnt screw with the 7.4 liter at all. High performance just means $$$$$$. Plus once you do it, your stuck with it. Lab finishing for what it costs, its a good deal if you get the prop tuned for your WOT, and reduce the slip as much as possiable. It will of course make your boat faster, but is 2-4 mph really worth it for the thinner much easier to ding a break blades. Most likely not. Now if you build your motors, and your going for the big number then absoulelty lab finish your props. Too save alittle bit of money, try Houston Propellers in Texas or Throttle-Up Propellers in St. Petersburg Fl. Mine go to Throttle-Up (www.throttle-up.com) Julie and Matt are really good, and they turn around your product quickly.
    Jeff

Dave C
    you know the motor mounts are the same for the 454 and 502. And you can easily make a 502 into a 540.
    eighty-six the 7.4 for a whole new motor.

MOBrien
    Thanks for the advice! Jumbo Grey Goose-rocks w/ half a lime as a thank you if we ever meet on the water!
    If I were to begin building up a 502 in a "reliable" performance setup, what's an approximate middle of the road cost? Best to just suck it up and buy one that's complete or build myself? I wouldn't be opposed to building one up on the side and swapping out the 7.4 when the 502 is done to alleviate eating the entire cost at once. My 24 Cheetah is our first boat and I just want to get her into the mid-upper 70's. The stock 7.4 just isn't enough. Also, what about saving the coin and finding a 496HO?
    Keep the advice coming ... I need something to do this winter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast