Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: wash tub firepit explosion.

Kachina26
    I remember it being sand of some sort, I left a message with my uncle.

repo man
    Originally posted by Kachina26
    I remember it being sand of some sort, I left a message with my uncle. thanks

Kachina26
    OK, there is a ring on some wash tubs filled with sand for balancing he said. You can get it out by removing the "plug" and turning it upside down. You can also get it out like your friend did.

Kachina26
    Looks like your grandkid ain't into sharing his popcicle with the pooches.

Flying Tiger
    Many tubs use porcelan coatings - some of which are non high heat tollerant glass.
    Porcelan coatings used in ovens and stoves are high heat tollerant.. Just like many other types of coatings.
    The glass coating (porcelan) in the tub heated and vaporised to flashpoint and exploded.
    It was non extreeme heat tollerant Porcelan.

Ziggy
    Originally posted by titties and beer
    THIS IS MIND thats my grand kid ISAAC
    Didn't know Palms will grow it Utah...that one in the pic must be at leat 10 yrs old
    You didn't dognap HDD's dogs did ya?

HOSS
    I`m laughin my ass off! I did the same thing back in `85. There was a top panel on the tub(ring). It blew straight up. We are so damn lucky no one was killed. We were tubing. If someone would have been over this thing they would have died. It sounded like a cannon. All the trees above moved up so it was some serious air movement. Everyone in the campground was cheering. We all were freaking as to how close we came to dieing.
    Its the soap that gets in it. Thats what blows. The shiny shit is the coating off the tub. Notice there ain`t no paint on it! At least that what I think it was. Whatever it was don`t let anyone use it for fire. That is some seriously dangerous sheeeeit.

HOSS
    Just read some of the other posts. There was sand spewing out of the bottom of the thing just before it blew. And I mean just before. It sounded like a rocket firing of when they light it. Then BOOOOOM!. I remeber the sand spewing out the bottom for like 2 secs before. Silica sand. Noooooo shit! That gives me a good idea.

I found this post by googling 'washing machine fire pit explosion'...because, well I had the exact same thing happen to me about 10 years ago. We all had been standing around the 'new' fire pit for about 30 minutes when all of a sudden 'BOOM'! Scared all of us half to death, then all of a sudden it started raining that sandy sparkly stuff. I remember us girls had it all in our hair LOL. My question is, did this forum ever figure out what the cause of it is? Ten years later, I still love my washing machine fire pit, and am wanting to blog about it on my DIY site but I'm afraid this explosion might happen to someone else....would be nice to inform people that it's a possibility of happening and how to prevent it, and still enjoy their new fire pit without any mishaps...any suggestions?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234