Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's not "I told you so"...It's really not...

HighRoller
    I've been sitting here shaking my head for the last few days while reading about the incidents in Havasu. Geez, thinking about all the times I've been dragged through the mud for speaking against the "anything goes" attitude on the river makes me sick. Where was everyone months and years ago when I tried to say this was what would happen? I'll tell you where you were, you were behind the computer calling me "Holy Roller" or saying I'm a prude. I didn't speak out against public nudity and sex shows because I'm a prude. I did so because I know what kind of people that stuff attracts. I never criticized people driving irresponsibly because I don't like fast boats. I did it because I knew one day people would die.
    All I have to say is that in "Holy Roller's" Havasu, little kids wouldn't get beat up, drunk Aholes in fast boats wouldn't run over people, and nobody would suffocate and drown in the channel. EVERYONE has to take a stand against bad behavior, or the government will do it for you. And when they do, you don't get to choose where they draw the line. They might shut down the gorge, Channel and all the coves one day if things don't change.
    Maybe it's time individuals stopped thinking about their own selfish motives and behaved in a way that benefits the entire (boating) community. Lead by example. Peer pressure is a powerful motivator in a public setting. One person cannot stop another person from acting like an idiot, but a group of people can. I hope everyone going out there this weekend has the past week's events fresh in their mind and does one little thing to turn the tide. Even if it's driving 10mph slower in the gorge or turning your stereo down a bit when next to a family, it's a start. SummerLove said it best:"We all just need to get along". I guess that's all I have to say.

MsDrmr
    AMEN BROTHER

boxscore
    you never caught me bashing you. 20 y/o's are doing shit these days that I'd never fathom doing when I was 20. It's borderline wierd.

MsDrmr
    wierd?? more like insanity

boxscore
    insanity?.... yes, of course. It's just wierd to me though that these kids are so friggen different than I was. There's really no moral conscience to speak of in many of these kids. A couple decades of bad parenting will do that.

Havasu_Dreamin
    Originally posted by boxscore
    There's really no moral conscience to speak of in many of these kids. A couple decades of bad parenting will do that.
    Exactly! As I said in the other thread, this is all a result of the general degradation of society as we know, or knew, it. no one wants to take responsibility for hteir actions.
    Little johnny got passed all thru grade school becasue we were concerd how he would feel when he was told he failed math and what that would o to his pysche. Well, now Johnny is in his early 20's and still dumb as a door knob but he thinks everything shold be given to him if he wants it bad enough bcasue everything ahs been handed to him, he was never taught that he had to work at anything. So he goes to the Sandbar and wants to see some girls breats and when she says no, he hits her. Is this a stretch? Yes, of course it is, but I think you get my point.

HavasuDreamin'
    Self centered, egotistical a**holes, who don't give two sh*ts about anyone or anything else but themselves.

BarryMac
    Originally posted by boxscore
    you never caught me bashing you. 20 y/o's are doing shit these days that I'd never fathom doing when I was 20. It's borderline wierd.
    These kids are the ones who grew up with getting a time out instead of a good ole ass woopin, they have had everything handed to them because their parents are AFRAID of them. Hell i'm in my late 30's my mom wouldn't hesitate beatin the crap out of me if I were as disrespectful as most people in there late teens early 20's, theses kids have no respect for anyone or anything...
    Just my .02 again...
    gjb

welk2party
    It already has made me think twice about going on big weekends. I am over it for the most part.

MsDrmr
    I am not sure what age yal are, however I am going on 32 real quick here and grew up in southern CA. I can honestly say that back in Jr high and High shcool there was always the crowds that knew the party spots and or outgrew that territory and took over someone else's to have fun. I think there has always been "the group" of kids/individuals that tended to ruin things for everyone else. The difference is with society and violence. As a general public citizen, I would not approach someone and correct or challenge their behavior because I know darn good and well that the chance of getting shot or the crap beaten out of me is a good one. I am raising my son and step sons to have a respect for oters and too be honest a sence of fear of what others will do if challenged. I do agree that a "group" of people may be able to change "one" mans behavior, however, one man to chage a group of mens' behavior is less likely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast