Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting exhaust log to seal???

Hustler
    Ditch the copper gaskets first off, I went down that rd and never could get them to seal with copper gaskets. get a good set of Felpro's or Mr Gaskets and use some copper seal. after running the boat for a few retighten the logs again do this when ever you stop and have a beer, I found that it was very hard to get the bolts not to back out. I finnally went to a stud with the quench nut and never had a problem after that. Good luck

Jet City
    Originally posted by Hustler
    Ditch the copper gaskets first off, I went down that rd and never could get them to seal with copper gaskets. get a good set of Felpro's or Mr Gaskets and use some copper seal. after running the boat for a few retighten the logs again do this when ever you stop and have a beer, I found that it was very hard to get the bolts not to back out. I finnally went to a stud with the quench nut and never had a problem after that. Good luck
    Its been a while since I did mine, but I did use the Permatex copper spray on them as Hustler mentioned, not dry as I originally stated.

1978 Rogers
    Heres a picture of my logs. No gasket, no problem. Just sealant. I followed the instructions on the back of the package. I didn't goop a bunch on, maybe 1/16". Just enough to coat.

spectras only
    78 Rogers, those are Harman manifolds and they never leak until the ports get too large after 15-20 years . The Hardin logs are more prone to leaks.

UtlGoa
    Those are sweet manifolds. I wish I could find a set of those to bolt up to my super cobra jet heads. Anyone know where I can find some of those long bolt manifolds.

78Eliminator
    Take it to a machine shop and have them resurfaced.
    And here is the BIG THING TO CHECK:
    A lot of these logs will hit the head bolts or nuts and will NOT SEAL because of the interference. You will have to take a grinder and grind out grooves in the log in order for them to ever seal.
    I went through the same shit with mine. The problem is that unless you get your eyes under the exhaust log, you can never see what is causing them to not mate correctly. Take a look at those head bolts. You might have to also grind the bolt heads down a bit, I had to.....
    Justin

Originally posted by spectras only
    78 Rogers, those are Harman manifolds and they never leak until the ports get too large after 15-20 years . The Hardin logs are more prone to leaks.
    I have had both, and loved the Harmans. I have Hardins now, and other that the gross port mismatch, the sealing surface at the top of the ports is very thin. That's where mine blow out. I use the steel backed gaskets, and they last a little over a year. If there were a little more meat surrounding the port, it would seal much better.

spectras only
    UTIGOA, I just saw a pair at california marine last night. You can call Dave at ph; 604 278 1880. Jim Brock usually have some good prices on them used also.

UtlGoa
    Where is California Marine? I'll give them a call and see what they say. See if the boss(wife) will let me buy them.

spectras only
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by UtlGoa
    [B]Where is California Marine? Not in california ..>Richmond b.c . He'll be closed in a few minutes ,but open tomorrow at 10 am til 4 pm. Jim Brock is in california and you can find info of him at www.spectramarine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12