Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Top Fuel Dragster info:

Infomaniac
    Yep cranks twist and also spread open at the crank pin between the counter weights. We build our flywheels to deal with this. The fuel funny car often runs with the flywheel on the motor plate due to crank spreading open. They shim rub buttons a specific distance from the motor plate for this reason. Dragsters rarely hit the motor plate. Their chassis flexes enough to prevent this.
    They have ignition and fuel curves intersect clutch lock up. They leave with full timing and immediately cut it back. Feed it in gradually down the track along with fuel. Trick is getting everything to work together for that perfect run. The cannon controls the throw out bearing movement.
    but.. All of this on pneumatic timers. When the driver steps on the throttle, everything happens in sequence regardless of what happens next. Peddle the car etc, the timers have already began their sequences

steelcomp
    I love the RPM curve for a TF engine at the hit of the throttle. It's perfectly vertical. Instant full rpm.
    Hey Ron, long time no hear from. Must be busy!!

N281PONY
    It always cracks me up on these deals that the blower is bigger than the short block.
    http://www.dragracingonline.com/carc..._eng_front.jpg
    yeah, that "little" motor is good for a bout 205 in the 1/8 th

N281PONY
    I think NHRA made them put in a rev limiter around 8,300 RPM.. This sometimes the cause of engine explosions at the top end if it stays there too long.
    Didn't NHRA also put a limit on the amount of blower overdrive also?

WannabeRacing
    Sorry to rain on your parade, but Scruggs went to BAE and away from the small block if I remember correctly.

steelcomp
    Sorry to rain on your parade, but Scruggs went to BAE and away from the small block if I remember correctly.Dosen't change what he was able to do with a small block, like Santos. I think that's what this was about.

WannabeRacing
    I preferred him with the Small Block.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345