Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: **oil Puking Out Of Breathers**

Moneypitt
    For baffles they both have some small packing material of sorts that would not restrict very much oil. Is there some other type of baffles that should be in there.
    KELLY
    The baffles are just a basic restriction that prevents liquid oil from being sweept up in the air flow that must exit the motor through the breathers. Depending on which rockers you're using, I've seen breathers mounted directly in the stream of oil coming out of the pushrod, through the rocker "squirter". Stock covers are short, and the oil is bounced off the cover, back to the rocker for lubrication. The early aftermarket covers had "drippers" that did the same thing, but had to be ground off to clear the rockers with high lift cams. Now the covers are "tall", and wide open inside, so a "squirter" could be directly under a breather, a situation that would draw liquid oil with the air, for sure. I would try a PCV valve. It will reduce the amount of air that has to escape through the breathers. Check the location of the breathers in relation to the push rod "squirt"............MP

Big Boys Toy PE857
    A friend of mine dynoed his motor this week and he had an electric vacuum pump hooked up to one of his valve covers. I really liked that system and will be putting one on my new motor soon. The dyno had an input for vacuum and it read about -4 in/g constantly. Never leaked a drop of anything.

79 HUSTLER
    The baffles are just a basic restriction that prevents liquid oil from being sweept up in the air flow that must exit the motor through the breathers. Depending on which rockers you're using, I've seen breathers mounted directly in the stream of oil coming out of the pushrod, through the rocker "squirter". Stock covers are short, and the oil is bounced off the cover, back to the rocker for lubrication. The early aftermarket covers had "drippers" that did the same thing, but had to be ground off to clear the rockers with high lift cams. Now the covers are "tall", and wide open inside, so a "squirter" could be directly under a breather, a situation that would draw liquid oil with the air, for sure. I would try a PCV valve. It will reduce the amount of air that has to escape through the breathers. Check the location of the breathers in relation to the push rod "squirt"............MP
    I will check on the location next weekend when I go out as that can be a good possibility. Only one breather pukes oil and the other never has a drop. It looks like I have a few things that I can try. Lots of people say that the only thing it can be is the rings and nothing else so there sounds like there is some hope.. Thanks for the info and help. I will see how next weekend goes.
    With a pcv valve where would the blow by go once it goes through the pcv valve..Intake then Exhaust???

79 HUSTLER
    A friend of mine dynoed his motor this week and he had an electric vacuum pump hooked up to one of his valve covers. I really liked that system and will be putting one on my new motor soon. The dyno had an input for vacuum and it read about -4 in/g constantly. Never leaked a drop of anything.
    I saw some of those in Jegs and Summit and did not know how it would work. There is a nice belt drive setup by moroso I have been looking at, may have to try that if I can't get it fixed with the breathers.

79 HUSTLER
    Basically, you have either too much pressure (air turbulance inside motor, whatever you want to call it.), too much oil in the pan, or water in the oil (which is the same as too much oil in the pan).
    1. cheapest thing to check is> water in the oil. -no explanation needed.
    2. next > too much oil. Try using only 11 qts for the pan as the angle at which the motor sits will raise the oil level to where it lets the crank splash the oil. (this sounds like it might be your problem).
    3. Breathers should be at the front of the motor as less oil will accumulate there. BOAT goes <<<<<<<< OIL goes >>>>>. 2 breathers should be all that's required.
    4. Too much pressure. Either PanVac from Moroso or a Vacuume pump.
    Rio
    Thanks for the info.
    1. Def. no water in the oil.
    2. It is alot of oil but the Billet Fab. comes with setup to find out how much oil to put in. I had the motor out of the boat and set to the same degree as it sits in the boat.
    3. Both breathers are at the front of each valve cover.
    4. This is what it seems to me. Would maybe having the two breathers with only 3/4" holes through them, (instead of completely open like most) not let it breath enough. Then at higher rpms it is just creating way to much pressure???
    KELLY

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
    The Pit and the Dog gave you good answers. I didn't have the under side of the breather cut open, I had a bunch of 1/8 inch holes plus the screen in the breathers. Then I put on a puke tank.. If you have a 14 qt pan it is better to be 1/2 qt low then over. Do mess with the drip studs. I knew a guy that cut them off, had oil all over the place, buy taller covers.

paradigm shift
    Before making much changes on breathers do yourself a favor and get a leak down tester or have someone you trust test your motor. A leakdown test will tell you if you have a ring seating problem. Make sure you are not over filling your pan or you will foam the oil big time. If it is not rings or from over filling then take a good look when you pull the valve covers for any type of baffle or oil deflectors for the breathers. At 4000rpm you should not be having any problems and need real special breathers in my opinion. I am no expert so just my .02. Good luck.
    Oil is from the breather and not valve cover gasket? Have to ask I have seen this before. A little oil around a breather and another oil leak some where else causing the big mess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12