Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carb q's

quiet riot
    hotc, so would the hp version just give more tuning options vs the 950 hybrid? Is this why you recommend the hybrid? or just money? BTW, I do race this usually a few times a year in the Columbia Drag Boat Assoc (a div of IHBA), but I do my fine tuning to fit in a bracket class with a few hundred hp shot of N2O (adj in 50 hp incr).
    My main thing is just a reliable carb that is pretty good for my setup. Keeping in mind, most of my boating is done around sea level, but I do go as high as 8-9k ft to high lakes a few times a year. Currently, my 700dp works fine without jet changes or such. I'm not racing at the high lakes or rivers, and it does run a little fat but the msd seems to keep it in check enough and I can adj the timing from the drivers seat control if needed.
    Thanks,
    jd

Hotcrusader76
    The HP does offer superior adjustability, and not to mention it uses the HP style metering which has a three hole emulsion vice the 2-hole (stock Holleys). The HP is a race carburetor and is benifical under those conditions.
    If you're running in a competitive class, you can bet your opponent is running an HP or Demon.
    ~Ty

quiet riot
    so me being the kinda guy that doesn't get into adjusting stuff to weather/altim's like most do at the races, I'd prob be better off with the hybrid 950, right? I like to watch the other boats and bs between rounds, not hash on the setup. Would I be able to notice a "seat of the pants" difference with an hp or dom? If not I wouldn't justify the expense I guess.
    Most the rest of the time, I like to hook the boat up, throw a cooler in and go boatin. I'll get intouch with you within a few weeks when I get closer to finishing the motor.
    Thanks,
    jd
    ps. I do have to run within .1 or so of the bracket's dial in to have a chance, but I bring my own bottle of oxygen for that.

Dave C
    I had the HP 1000 on two of my motors. It was nice right out of the box and I was happy. I slapped it on, adjusted and I was away.
    IMO I don't think the HP was that expensive given how nice it was compared to a regular Holley.
    I never used a Demon.
    However, if I went to lakes at higher elevations they required adjustments. NO way around that, hence the EFI now

Anyone try the carbs externally adjustable metering plates? (aka Willys) I know a few drag racers that have tried them and they swear by them.
    Also maybe Hotcrusader can help with those damn throttle plate shafts that begin to "stick" after some use and won't go back to idle all the way by themselves. I hate that...

TIMINATOR
    QUIET;at the most you'll get from a carb change is 20HP, so why spend the $300-$600 to only get 1 MPH? Non-airentrapment hulls usually take 20HP per MPH gain in my experience, no seat of the pants gain there. Borrow a carb and see if you really care anyway before ya spend the cash, or you could buy a set of solid rollers and set the lash at .005 and see if I'm right about the hydraulic deal. TIMINATOR

Snowboat
    Timinator; why set the lash at .005", isn't that a little tight? I've only tried going from .028" to .020". What happens at that tight a lash?

TIMINATOR
    Thats the "normal" setting for running a solid roller lifter on a hydraulic roller cam for testing or actual use when you find out it goes way faster! I've done it many times with my customers as an experiment and have never gone slower! Some of them have purchased solid roller cams, some have run the solid lifters on their hydraulic roller cams for YEARS! I did with the C---e hyd rlr in my Vette for about 5 years before I sold it,the buyer ran it like that for 2 more years until the car was totaled. Set the lash once a year. Since hydraulic rollers don't have a ramp to take up the lash, thats why the lash needs to be tight. Oh yeah, the reason that I put the solid rollers on the Vette cam,is because the aftermarket hydraulic roller(220at.050) slowed the car down by 6 tenths and 5 MPH! I worked with it for 3 months too, then put the solids on it and it gained 1.2 SECONDS and 9 MPH!!!! Haven't used a hydraulic roller again till the FIASCO with the boat early last year. Since then I WILL NEVER USE USE ANOTHER ONE!!! Your results may vary. I gave some reasons in the earlier post. I own a race machine shop (FULL SERVICE),I experiment all the time and I DON'T SELL OR INSTALL ANYTHING THAT I DON'T BELIEVE IN OR HAVEN'T TRIED. TIMINATOR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12