Thread: THOUGHT FOR OLD LAVEY

not guilty
    See youre doing a few things to add a little hp to youre 460 ,have you thought about removing the water-circulation pump on the front and re-directing the raw water.
    I do this on mine ,in my opinion the pump on the motor is a waste of hp and is not needed since we have ample water pressure available.I get the parts from eddie marine (about $100.00)and do all the fabricting/modify myself.Still run a thermostat with a bypass so motor runs up to temp ok.
    Actually they dont tend to get HOT burningm after a hard run and coming back to idle like they use to.
    Let me know I'll pot some pics and info NG

Outnumbered
    Never thought or heard of that trick. Makes sense. So I guess the drive impeller does all the work? If the impeller goes would KEEPING the recirc pump buy you a little time Is it a noticeable difference in power? If you have some pix I'll take a look.
    Thanks for the idea,
    OL

not guilty
    The impeller really does it all anyway , if it goes out you still have no suuply of fresh water to the motor or exhaust so damage is going to happen.
    I run sensors in my motors to warn of overheat and water pressure gauges.
    Best insurance is to start the season with a fresh impeller anyway, I get them for about $10.00 and it only takes about 10 minutes , actually if I run almost every weekend I change them again mid season.
    Cant really say how much HP gain it would be but est. about 15-30.Takes some money to make that and its all ready there.
    Besides it looks cool too. eek!
    I'll post some pics later , have ope on the stand going together now so should be able to take some clear shots. NG

joe
    I have a 82 laveycrat with a 330 and a trs outdrive it it does not have a impeller in the drive it has a pump on the engine and goes to the bottom of the hull do i need the circulating pump

not guilty
    No ,thats the way we set my brothers boat up with a raw pump on the front of the motor driven from the crank pulley , it was a sbc so we got a cross over kit for it . NG

joe
    Thanks I am building a new motor for the lavey it will be around 550 hp and I didnt want to run the water circulation pump I think the crosover looks alot cooler thanks

ldillow
    Know anybody that wants to buy an 87 sebring 20'2" 454/bravo 1 combo? I have put large oval ports with flowing, stealth manifold, 950 holley, larger stainless valves, lunati nitrous cam, new springs/retainers/lifters, rewarder thry-transom headrs, nose cone, and it will spin a 27P close to 95. I need to sell it because my family drove me carzy about the noise and hassel climbing over the motor, so I ended up getting a stoker outboard. I know, I'm a pussy, but oh well, still married. I'll try to post pic. 14K with tandem. gonna miss her......

ldillow
    Can't see how to do a picture?

Sun burners
    Does this work for EFI engines?
    Thanks MIKE