Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Put'n on a little weight

rivercrazy
    I should have thought of this relative to the formula's. Thanks for the free education.
    I had a chance to look up watts versus db. Your right on doubling the power output will increase sound only by 3db. The other thing I found was its all relative to the sensitivity of the speakers. The higher the sensitivity, the less power it takes to increase db.
    I agree with the power. Its like anything else. The more the better! Sound will always be cleaner and less distored with more POWER!

Artimus
    Hey rivercrazy,
    Where can I find a "Nuclear Reactor" brand battery? I think Holley has the same battery available but I can't find a distributor for either. The closest thing to a price I got was $400.00 Canadian. These look like great batteries (power to weight ratio works for everything) but that price seems high. Any links would be great... I going to check out the Interstate batteries as well http://www.plauder-smilies.de/party/dazzler1.gif
    BTW, The power calculations are right on the money but you have to keep in mind that these results are based on an "average" power consumption. An 800 watt rms amplifier is not always putting out 800 watts - it could be more on peaks but the average is much less unless you are listening to 'sine wave'-which would still require less input power than 'white noise' (I have never seen any bikini boppin' to either of these)

al cole'holic
    hey 'Artimus', you can get the Interstate battery (the ones I talk about if you scroll up) for $69 Group 24, $79 for the 27's, or $89 for the 29's. I highly recommend the group 29...killer battery..just thought I'd let you know.

MaddMan
    Al,
    Just my two cents worth, but back when multiple batteries was the norm in competition systems, we would save our alternators by charging the batteries with a strong shop charger.(with the batteries disconnected, of course) You can build the highest output alt that you want, but it will still live a lot shorter life having to work so hard. You will probably find that it's real easy to just hook the charger up and let it do it's work while you are out of the water...no wasted water time! Maybe I should move my shop to Arizona, you guys spend some big bucks on your stereos! LOL
    Glad to see all the interest in stereos, you guys keep it up...no pun intended!
    MaddMan Dave

al cole'holic
    Basic knowledge Maddman...my boat is always on a charger. But, however, when you are drawing an upwards of 170 Amps there is no such thing as 'saving your alternator'. A 175-200 Amp alternator will in fact charge even at peak draw. And by the way, a sound like this would only come from CALI...sorry AZ but were hittin' on the west..no hard feelings...haha

MaddMan
    Al,
    I think you missed my point...the multiple batteries are strictly for system operation without the alternator running...my suggestion is not to ever charge the batteries with the boats alternator, thus saving the alternator.You've got enough reserve to last all day, so why not isolate them from your boats electrical system...just a thought. BTW, I remember when the Cali guys were in contant debate about CAR stereos...glad to see it moved to BOATS!! LOL! Competition is good!! Plus, its a lot more impressive to see water rippling instead of guys acting like they are holding in the car windows!!! LOL!!! 12v electronics has come a long way, and I'm glad to see the interest in boats, too. Now if we can figure out a way to make the meter read right in these open cockpits, we'll be in business!! LOL!
    Later times...
    Dave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123