Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinion on oil brands!!!!!!

Mr Twister
    10W-30 Royal Purple in the car changed every 10K, filters every 5K. 5w30 in the truck. Sentinal synthetic 5W-60 in the boat. Oil pressure or temps are never an issue. The clearances on the motor are on the large side.

1stepcloser
    Valvoline Racing 40wt. in the boat,
    Valvoline (standard) 30wt in the truck.
    Originally posted by victorfb
    i see alot of you guys are running straight 50wt in your boats. my GM crate 502 paper work says to run 5-30. i do have some 10-30 royal purple i was planning to use, but now im not so sure. why the straight 50wt guys? did you set looser clearances or something?
    The crate motor is designed for a non-marine application. Automotive applications vary quite a bit, and multi-vis oil is generally recommended to cover that wide variety.
    5 weight will flow to critical areas quickly in cold or sub-cold area's, where the 30 wt. will be heavy enough to support the critical loads after the engine has warmed to operating temperatures as well as reduce runoff in very warm to hot climates.
    The manual that came with the original motor in my boat, specified a straight 40wt oil.
    Most important, in my worthless opinion, is keeping the oil clean and fresh, regardless of the weight you choose.

Jordy
    Originally posted by victorfb
    i see alot of you guys are running straight 50wt in your boats. my GM crate 502 paper work says to run 5-30. i do have some 10-30 royal purple i was planning to use, but now im not so sure. why the straight 50wt guys? did you set looser clearances or something?
    Along the same lines of what 1StepCloser said, if you think about the higher sustained RPM's that are run in a boat, I think a little more viscosity helps protect things mo' betta. I'd rather run a little thicker (especially in my jet as it doesn't have a tranny or an oil cooler) and have it stay thicker when it warms up versus having it turn to a water like consistency. I also run Lucas in with my crankcase oil and haven't had any problems. It seems like pretty cheap protection based upon some of the experiences I've heard people having with it.

Stab-n-Steer
    Redline in everthing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123