I was at a seminar back in the spring and the speaker said that NAR has sent out a memo to all the local boards to not spend their budget, for right now we have approximately 1.2 million Realtors nationwide, and they expect that number to fall back to 800 thousand. The same speaker also said that the top 50% of the wage earners in RE would be slowing down or retiring from RE in the next 5 years. This was also based on data from NAR. So that being said I feel like anyone who is still in the business in the next 5 years should be able to build a strong business if they have a good work ethic, and concentrate on 100% client satisfaction. Referrals from your sphere of influence, past clients, friends, and family are your best source of business. They are also your cheapest. I do no advertising, and only spend 35 bucks a month on a web site, 90% of my business comes from referrals.
I do like the idea of getting on as a top producers assistant, or going with a company that provides training for new agents. Good luck to your wife and her new career