Thread: I need the inside scoop....

CMABadseed
    on watts bar lake and center hill lake. i've been lookin at houses and need to make a final decision here very soon! any info would be much appreciated

HammerDown
    Uh, I belive your on the wrong coast. :rollside: (maybe) I've never herd of those lakes.

edge99
    I live on Watts Bar, which is in East TN. Center Hill is in the Nashville area. Watts Bar is more of a lake system than just a lake. For example, from my house I can see the Clinch River and Tennessee River joining and forming Watts Bar Lake. However, the Clinch and Tennesse are considered part of the Watts Bar Lake system. It can get confusing. Some of the larger cities on the lake are Knoxville, and Oak Ridge. And then there is Chattanooga on down stream from the Watts Bar Dam. There are a lot of restaurants an marinas on the system. There are no speed limits, noise laws, or any other hassles that the West coast seems to have. It's usually smooth water so there isn't a need for the 26 foot and up boats that are on the west coast. A 19 to 21 foot is perfect. Houses on the water start at approximatly $250K for a good size house. Here is a link to the small town that I live in. As you can see from the pictures (views of Kingston on the left side of the page) it is centered around the lake.
    http://www.kingstontn.org/

RiverOtter
    I live on Watts Bar, which is in East TN. Center Hill is in the Nashville area. Watts Bar is more of a lake system than just a lake. For example, from my house I can see the Clinch River and Tennessee River joining and forming Watts Bar Lake. However, the Clinch and Tennesse are considered part of the Watts Bar Lake system. It can get confusing. Some of the larger cities on the lake are Knoxville, and Oak Ridge. And then there is Chattanooga on down stream from the Watts Bar Dam. There are a lot of restaurants an marinas on the system. There are no speed limits, noise laws, or any other hassles that the West coast seems to have. It's usually smooth water so there isn't a need for the 26 foot and up boats that are on the west coast. A 19 to 21 foot is perfect. Houses on the water start at approximatly $250K for a good size house. Here is a link to the small town that I live in. As you can see from the pictures (views of Kingston on the left side of the page) it is centered around the lake.
    http://www.kingstontn.org/
    You can also go to the Gulf of Mexico from your dock. I know several people from Chattanooga and Knoxville that have made the trip. One guy I know took his sport fish to Cuba!! This was before Bush was elected. The govt kinda frowns on that now. Watts Bar is a very big and deep lake. If I'm not mistaken from dam to dam it's 65 miles. Not sure of the shoreline milage but there's lots of it. Watts Bar is an hour drive from Chattanooga and somewhat less to Knoxville. Ft Louden Lake runs through Knoxville. It's not as pretty as Watts Bar or Chickamauga but you can drive you boat right up the UT Stadium and watch the Vols play. They Vol Navy!! Now that's some fun!!

RiverOtter
    on watts bar lake and center hill lake. i've been lookin at houses and need to make a final decision here very soon! any info would be much appreciated

I've never boated on Center Hill buy NashvilleBound does. I hear it's beautiful! I can tell you that if a good job is in your relocation plan. Nashville would be the better choice unless you looking into some govt job at Oak Ridge. My post above talks about Watts Bar.

edge99
    You can also go to the Gulf of Mexico from your dock. I know several people from Chattanooga and Knoxville that have made the trip. One guy I know took his sport fish to Cuba!! This was before Bush was elected. The govt kinda frowns on that now. Watts Bar is a very big and deep lake. If I'm not mistaken from dam to dam it's 65 miles. Not sure of the shoreline milage but there's lots of it. Watts Bar is an hour drive from Chattanooga and somewhat less to Knoxville. Ft Louden Lake runs through Knoxville. It's not as pretty as Watts Bar or Chickamauga but you can drive you boat right up the UT Stadium and watch the Vols play. They Vol Navy!! Now that's some fun!!
    I have never wanted to attempt it, but I've heard of people boating to the Gulf. Matter of fact, there was 2 boats from Alabama anchored in Kingston over the weekend. We see a lot of out of state boats anchoring off here. There are stores near the water for restocking supplies.
    As far as jobs, there are alot in Knoxville and also Oak Ridge. I quess it is according to the type of work you are looking for. I work at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, which is mostly a research facility.
    I am an unofficial member of the Vol Navy. A friend of mine has a house boat that he takes up every game weekend, a few times I've driven my boat up and tied off on him. UT football and boating combined; it doesn't get any better than that.

RiverOtter
    I have never wanted to attempt it, but I've heard of people boating to the Gulf. Matter of fact, there was 2 boats from Alabama anchored in Kingston over the weekend. We see a lot of out of state boats anchoring off here. There are stores near the water for restocking supplies.
    As far as jobs, there are alot in Knoxville and also Oak Ridge. I quess it is according to the type of work you are looking for. I work at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, which is mostly a research facility.
    I am an unofficial member of the Vol Navy. A friend of mine has a house boat that he takes up every game weekend, a few times I've driven my boat up and tied off on him. UT football and boating combined; it doesn't get any better than that.
    I have dreamed of making that trip to the Gulf. Don't have a big enough boat or the money it would take for the fuel costs. I have made the trek to the UT / AL and UT / FL games though. Especially on the AL game weekends the colors are amazing!! I used to have a 370 Dancer and back when gas was $1.55 on the lake I spent $750 in the gas alone!!! Worth every penny!

CMABadseed
    thanks alot for the info i am gonna check out the kingston site right now. TN sounds like the way to go. i am not worried about work, i work offshore 30 on 30 off so no commuting for me, the wife on the otherhand may have to, or want to, who knows. i'm gonna keep on checkin things out. that trip from watts to the gulf sounds awesome, that would be a hell of a trip to make!

RiverOtter
    thanks alot for the info i am gonna check out the kingston site right now. TN sounds like the way to go. i am not worried about work, i work offshore 30 on 30 off so no commuting for me, the wife on the otherhand may have to, or want to, who knows. i'm gonna keep on checkin things out. that trip from watts to the gulf sounds awesome, that would be a hell of a trip to make!
    Yep... You just head down the TN river then when you get to Pickwick hand a Left on the Tom Bigby Waterway. When you get to the end of the Tom Bigby... keep going striaght into Mobile Bay and then you'll hit the Gulf. Can't miss it