Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will this fit in my Stoker?

HP350SC
    Looks like someone took a trip to Everett...
    As for the Max boost, yes the engines would reach their redline manifold pressure at sea level. The 2 speed superchargers were so they could maintain boost levels as the airplane climbed.
    I think you meant Evergreen airfield. It's in Mcminnville, OR. Stopped last year during kids spring break, on the way to the beach. Recently got my computer all fixed, and was bored looking through pictures. Not much boat stuff going on in Winter.

HP350SC
    If you're ever in Fairborn Ohio you MUST go to the airforce museum.
    Oh, and the Clay Smith pump's roots are from big military engines. I donno if they were that big though.
    Great pics BTW. We should have never let the Goose out of Long Beach!
    Pretty remarkable that fuel consumption was that low, considering displacement. Was it mainly due to low rpm or cylinder cofiguration?
    Hey, we don't have squat for attractions up here, we'll take whatever we can get!

HP350SC
    Great cutaway.
    Non airplane folks can notice the ring groove at the bottom of the piston to scrape oil out of the upside down cylinders. Also roller lifters and a cam "drum" instead of cam shaft.
    Great comments. Is the cam drum part of the crank? How did they do cam timing if rotating at same speed?

jackpunx
    [QUOTE=HP350SC]Since Jackpunx and Hulshot are stepping up the power, I think I'll go with a "jet" boat! 47,500 hp should do it. I don't know about Robbie racer though :idea:
    QUOTE]
    LMAO.. Hulshot already has one of those.. your going to have to do better then that..lol
    Im going with a 3.2 6cyl with 340hp.. Im going for the power to wieght delio..

Infomaniac
    Great comments. Is the cam drum part of the crank? How did they do cam timing if rotating at same speed?
    It is not part of the crank but is gear driven off of the crank. So it has a gear drive also.
    It looks like a flywheel with cam lobes along the outside diameter and gear teeth on the inside diameter. Actuially two rows of cam lobes on the outside diameter. Exhaust and intake.
    You measure lobe wear at one rocker. Rotate the engine around until all of the lobes have traveled under that lifter.
    Cool stuff.

Sleek-Jet
    Pretty remarkable that fuel consumption was that low, considering displacement. Was it mainly due to low rpm or cylinder cofiguration?
    Hey, we don't have squat for attractions up here, we'll take whatever we can get!
    Pretty much the way they were operated. The SOP was to run the engines lean of peak (more air than fuel). Much has been made of this practice lately in aviation circles.
    The flight engineer's on those airplanes opperated the engines, almost exclusive of the pilots. The pilot would tell the FE what he wanted (take off power, climb power, cruise....) and the FE would make it happen. They could monitor pretty much every parameter of the combustion process and in turn be able to run the engines at peak efficiency.
    Some of the big radials also had what was called a Power Recovery Turbine, basically a turbo charger that was couple back to the crank shaft through a viscouse (sp?) clutch (kinda like a torque converter). It could recover up to 500 shaft hp back to the engine. So every little bit of energy was scavanged out of these big bruttes... pretty cool for WWII technology, and no computers.
    Here's a good links to more info:
    http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182102-1.html
    The guy that writes this column flew these big recips when they were still on front line service, most of the info is right out of the operating manuals for the big engines.

hulshot
    JP dont be telling everyone about my secret kerosen motor. I dont have back seats but at 170 who wants to ride wnyways??? :rollside:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12