Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifter question???

GofastRacer
    396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
    I was going to by a set of hydraulic lifters to match my comp cam. (Were talking about my 454 not the 455!) A guy came in my store today and I asked him about lifters and he said that unless you are running over 7000 RPM's then you dont need exspensive lifters. He said he has cut open different lifters and looked at both melling and comp and they looked the same. What have you guys experienced? I dont want cheap shit in my 454 but if you compare $80 to free then I think we all would go free! I have a set of brand new melling hydraulic lifters and I didnt pay a red cent. Any info would help me out alot. thanks 396Hydraulic lifters are hydraulic lifters, they all look(except for the retaining ring) and work the same!, the difference between a GOOD USA lifter and a JAP SHIT lifter is the tolerance between the plunger and the housing, that's where you get bleed off!, a good retaining ring is good only if you break a pushrod or something because with the preload the plunger never touches the retainer!!, the Mellings lifters are an OE replacement lifter so, if you're not running a big hydraulic cam, they will work!, if you plan on running a big cam at high r's, then you need an anti pump up lifter!!..As far as rocker arms, with a hydraulic cam, just about any roller rocker will work!!.....Hope this clears things for ya!!!....
    [ December 10, 2002, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

HOSS
    I run crane,, don`t remember the actual name,,, but they are cheap (150?). Unless you are planning to build for competetion,,, buy cheap but reputable.
    Gofast, I have to disagree. The Jap shit also uses different metals. The USA has the best steel in the world. That is were the Japs lack. All their shit has to be imported. This is why US bearings are the best on the planet and even Russian manufacturers use US bearings in heavy equipment.
    Thank GOD for US steel workers and US steel!
    Just watch as our M1 smokes Saddam`s ass and takes hits like coming from a bb gun.
    Gotta love those bench racers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12