Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ? for you Ford guys

Mustang Shorty
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/txhaevyhaul/my_photos
    Here are some pics that tell a pretty good story. I have my theory but am interested in others.
    Also picked up a 429 except for heads for $25. He sold a set of DOVEs for $75.00 :cry:
    Thanks, Alan

LakesOnly
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/txhaevyhaul/my_photos
    Here are some pics that tell a pretty good story. I have my theory but am interested in others.
    Also picked up a 429 except for heads for $25. He sold a set of DOVEs for $75.00 :cry:
    Thanks, Alan
    http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/446a6764...gcnaEB9.uUqsGC
    In the above photo, there is nothing that I can see on that exhaust lobe that will have an adverse affect on your oem stock motor. Run it.
    http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/446a6764...IsnaEBRjS5yhot
    In the above photo, it looks to me as though your engine has the wrong intake gasket on it and this may affect intake manofold sealing. the gasket should be a Fel-Pro # 1231, not 1230.
    LO
    p.s.: I have plenty of D0VE heads if you need 'em, but I wouldn't sell even one for just $75...that guy gave them away. BTW, last port job I did for a customer retained the stock unrebuilt shortblock all the way down to the stock cam, same carb and intake, etc., and the motor picked up another 400 rpm at the jet pump, which "translates" to about a 95HP increase according to those JPC's....for what it's worth. Just throwing it out there for reference...PM me if you need heads.

Mustang Shorty
    LO, thats what I thought about the gasket, it also looks like it had been taken off and on a couple of times using the same gasket.
    I was always leary of pitting on a cam but the lifters don't look bad. So it gets a new gasket, a push rod, and a timing set. The rest of the money can go to the new engine.
    And, yes, everyones right, I do have the disease.
    My name is Alan and I am a Jetaholic

Tahiti350
    Quote" Also picked up a 429 except for heads for $25. He sold a set of DOVEs for $75.00 "
    So when I sold a complete DOVE motor for $200, and the guy said he only wants the block, crank, and heads, I probably underpriced it?? Anyone want a good set of DOVE rods, or factory intake? Rods are straight cut bolt pads.
    Oh, well, what can you expect from a Mopar guy who has a Chevy in the boat???

LakesOnly
    Quote" Also picked up a 429 except for heads for $25. He sold a set of DOVEs for $75.00 "
    So when I sold a complete DOVE motor for $200, and the guy said he only wants the block, crank, and heads, I probably underpriced it?? Anyone want a good set of DOVE rods, or factory intake? Rods are straight cut bolt pads.
    Depending on the particulars of the D0VE-A block, it could be worth as much as $500 bare...more if it's a 4-bolt block. A pair of bare D0VE head castings go for $200-up market price (we list them for $289 on our website but often give a significant break with port work). OEM 460 crank about $100. Sure, these prices are optimum and there are indeed smokin' deals out there that you'll hear about (much like the deal you just gave the other guy), but the notoriety of these engines is ever-increasing and with increased demand comes reduced supply...you know the rest.
    Another indication to all the upswing comes from my end of the business...a colleague of mine, who is a very well respected BBF engine guy, is buying 10 longblocks off me because he simply can't find the engines fast enough to build them for people walking off the street asking him for a built 460...and he's driving a big truck several hundred miles in order to get them. He'd probably buy more than that but frankly we need to hold onto our own inventory.
    Better start stocking up on parts.
    LO
    p.s.: The passenger car rods you have are just as strong as the SCJ rods. The D0VE iron intake manifold is no biggie.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123