Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 383 problem

Havasu Hangin'
    Retrofitting a roller cam is pretty easy (mine is a retrofit). You don't need to machine the block, the retrofit lifters are linked together to keep them from turning. Also, a small bearing is placed in front to keep the cam from "walking". The most painful part is that it costs about $200 more for the kit. I went with Crane.
    Dynoing the engine is always nice because you can rest assured that you got the best tune up- one less variable. However, it is expensive. Most shops want $500 just to put it on. I guess it depends on your budget, and how much you are willing to pay to get that peace of mind.
    I used to live in HB, and Phaff (714-894-7573) was always highly recommended (but expensive) for dyno work. Maybe someone else can chime in on alternatives.
    C&J Engineering did my carb- they are in Whittier (562-946-1388).
    I think you got all the right parts- you just need to tweak some areas.
    http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif

tooslow
    Thanks Again Havasu,
    If I see you on the lake, I owe you a beer, hopefully all your help will make me a happier boater... What kind of boat do you have.. Mine is hard to miss. The bottom is black and the top is green and grey.. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with you by the time summer is here.. Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by tooslow:
    What kind of boat do you have...
    Hey partner...no worries...that's why we hang around here. I hope you stick around and let us know how it turns out. Us SBC guys gotta stick togther...
    Under my profile, under "homepage", there is a link to a page that has a picture of my boat. I'll be more than happy to put away a cold one with you...
    ...and I expect by summer you'll not only be keeping up, but passing me!
    [This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited January 27, 2002).]

tooslow
    You're boat is clean, nice job. I used to have a 23ft Omega, but it wasn't nearly as nice as your boat is. Did you do all the paint work yourself, and who did your interior?

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by tooslow:
    Did you do all the paint work yourself, and who did your interior?
    Not bad for an '81, eh? The gel was done by Quality Boat Repair in Riverside, and the interior was done by a friend of mine, who is now working for DCB.
    She's getting some stereo upgrades and power steering as we speak. BTW, make sure your steering is solid, as you are getting up there in speed, and any play will be bad news- maybe even cause chine walk.
    Yep, the HH Tugboat is old, but she holds a cooler with the best of em...

waterbum
    My opinion is I suspect the secondaries are not opening fully.A small block marine stroker does not spin enough r.p.m.'s to flow enough c.f.m.'s to pull open the secondaries on a 750 in the out of the box configuration.My advice would be to either go to a lighter spring so it will take less vac.to let her open or go to a mechanical secondarie(my personal faverite)I have a Nickerson on my stroker.850 baseplate,750 mainbody,flo's 930c.f.m. Really woke my beast up.You do have an advantage with your Holly because you can adjust when your sec's open. I'm still stuck with a brand new Edelbrock 750 that has no adjustments on sec. control.I need someone with a B.B. to buy it.Hope this info helps you get dialed in.Have fun.Hi H.H. The Bum http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12