Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SBC starter question.

EXTREMEBOATS
    Sounds like you do have the right starter and yes the flywheel is the same amount of teeth but the 400 has a balance weight. By puting a washer on the out side bolt you move the gears closer. Inside moves them apart. The space between the gears when engauged as about .060. And yes its not easy to messure. Go with removing the solinoid and engauge the bendix by hand. Other then them lining up they should engauge easily. I am still trying to figure out how anything has changed. I have had a few starters over the years that did'nt seem to line up as the old one. Most remanufactuers just glass bead the old nose and replace the bushing. And even I have turned in a questionable core's or two... So try to feel it out and go from there.
    Mike

HOSS
    I had a SBC that I actually had to grind some of the mounting face off to make it fit closer. The correct depth is to use a paper clip and bent out, the rod should fit between the flywheel and bendix gear. In between the teeth grooves.

Earl
    This is a spamer. Your Camero needs a Tilton mini starter, it goes with the Tilton triple disc clutch, bellhousing and new super T10 with Hurst speedway linkage. I also have the sbc to go with this. It is dry sumped (Avaid pump and pan) LA Billet crank, Carillo Rods, Isky roller rockers, girdles and so on. Less than thirty laps on everything. Make me an offer.

Havasu47
    If the flywheel teeth are damaged make sure you replace it no matter what you decide to do with the starter. It will continue to destroy starters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12