Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil cooler

acatitude
    personal preference I guess SD013... I'm more concerned with my filter keeping shit outa the motor then outa the cooler...if my motor pukes the cooler will be the cheapest thing I replace ..as long as you have one I guess both ways are ok..

superdave013
    oh I'm leaning that way too. And I agree that even a high buck cooler is cheep when looking at the big picture.
    I have always ran Baldwin 279 filters and they have an internal bypass. So my thinking is if the oil is cool it might make the bypass open and that would be no good. I guess I might have to change filter brands.

Havasu47
    Hot oil always flows through the filter better and is filtered better. Why would you be installing a cooler with debris in it??? By the way, Mercruiser routes the warm oil to the filter before the cooler.

superdave013
    Hot oil always flows through the filter better and is filtered better. Why would you be installing a cooler with debris in it??? By the way, Mercruiser routes the warm oil to the filter before the cooler.
    well I work on alot of heat exchangers like these oil coolers and if you saw how they cleaned them you would be wondering too. lol
    There is a company in I think Fullerton that does ultrasonic cleaning on coolers. I saw them at the PRI show. I'll prolly send them a new cooler and have them clean it just to be sure.

TIMINATOR
    Filter it,then cool it. You have allready read the reasons. TIMINATOR

BadKachina
    BK the filter should be last in line before motor to filter out whatever.. maybe oil cooler has chips, who knows , just makes more sense to me that way.... let the filter do what its suppossed to do
    I had never really given it any thought as to what was first, last, or why. After doing some research and reading some threads on OSO, it seems the concensus is to have filter first, then cooler, mostly for the reason that hot thin oil filters easier than cool oil, there by giving you the least amount of restriction through the filter. That sounds like a good enough reason to me.

acatitude
    hey BK, thats good enough for me , I just wonder what the temp difference really is between cooled before filter as opposed to after and if its enough to really make a difference on oil flow thru filter???? Ive never had a problem to my knowledge, just the way I was taught to plumb them....filter last... prolly like who likes what filter better and why.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12