Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to I/O. Do I need to strap up my drive while towing.

Deano
    I don't think you need anything if the drive is staying up.
    I had a buddy whos drive was drifting down. He cut a couple pieces of PVC pipe to length, ripped it in half, and put em over the rams with the drive up. seemed to work for him.

Havasu47
    Get the ones that snap over the trim cylinders like the blue ones above. This is what Merc. wants on the cylinders while towing. There is actually a Merc. service bulletin about this. They are TRIM cylinders, not trailering cylinders. Bouncing down the road is hard on the o-rings in the cylinders and valves in the trim pump.

RiverDave
    Get the ones that snap over the trim cylinders like the blue ones above. This is what Merc. wants on the cylindeers while towing. There is actually a Merc. service bulletin about this. They are TRIM cylinders, not trailering cylinders. Bouncing down the road is hard on the o-rings in the cylinders and vlaves in the trim pump.
    Exactly, you should get the type that snap over the rams. When Put the drive all the way up snap the rams on, then click the down button a coupe times (quickly) to get the drive to settle down on the supports. This way the support is carrying the load and not the hydraulics.
    my .02
    RD

Havasu47
    How are you Dave?
    I had to go back and fix my spelling!!!!!

voodoomedman
    I think that other pic is either for wackas or for the older drives or non performance boats where the drive goes up very high when trailering. I would go with those blue ones. Where do you keep your boat though. I never use anything because my boat stays in Havasu and I boat in Havasu. It can't be more than two miles from my garage to the ramp. It's only been a handful of times that I've brought it back here to SoCal. I do store it with the drive down though. Supposed to be better on the seals and the u-joint.

beaverretriever
    Get the ones that snap over the trim cylinders like the blue ones above. This is what Merc. wants on the cylinders while towing. There is actually a Merc. service bulletin about this. They are TRIM cylinders, not trailering cylinders. Bouncing down the road is hard on the o-rings in the cylinders and valves in the trim pump.
    I ended up getting a set of those...
    Thanks for the help.

Havasu47
    You're welcome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12