Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Are you buying a New custom Boat this year???

catman-do
    When we bought our ultra we had the choice on the interior. I had a previous boat with colored interior and will never do that again. The bimini as you know only covers so much, especially when the sun is at any angle. So the seats will get hot, and just because my passenger is in shade doesnt mean i am, vice versa. Plus to me colored interiors seem to get sun faded too quick and makes the material look old. Not a fan of the rolled stitching either. I like it simple and clean. Also a reason we left the top deck white (atleast a majority).

RiverDave
    We brought a pyrometer out to the lake with us for one of the brutally hot days in July-August. The light gray was 120 degrees, the silver billet aluminum plates were 135 and the red was 170. Dark orange was 140+ depending on where you looked in the blend. White was right around 120.
    It makes a huge difference. You can sit on white, you can't sit on red or brown.
    I'm very surprised there wasn't a larger gap in temperatures between colors. I would've thought silver/chrome billet plates would get up to 200+ degrees or there abouts. If you ever want to try it again, use a quick read cooking thermometer like what you'd use for a BBQ. The probe only reads at the tip, and they are deadly accurate.
    RD

RiverDave
    Some of you see what I'm actually doing.... challenging the the custom boat market to be more innovative with their interiors. Masking the problem of hot seats by making them white is not innovative. There still hot at 110 degrees.
    Maybe a liquided cooled seat design? Heat resistant fabric? Redesigned bimini tops?
    I use my boat year around. In the summer I use damp towels and a bimini. In the winter I need heated seats. If you want me to buy a new boat for as much as a new corvette (or more), it better be just as nice on the inside as it is on the outside.
    Ask your Mfg for liquid cooled/heated seat at the boat show this year....and maybe late next year they'll be available.
    You maybe onto something with the heat resistant fabric, but liquid cooled seats.. Not such a good idea. Your just giving your boat about 30 more leak points, and something else that's gonna break down the road.
    RD

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567