Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Marine thermostats

Aluminum Squirt
    Cylinder pressure and water pressure couldn't be any different. Cylinder pressure is high but its been engineered for with many bolts surroundeing the cylinder and the gasket is designed for pressure around the cylinders. Additionally cylinder pressure is predictable and does the same thing on every stroke. Water pressure can get very high (ask one of the experts, but I think it can exceed cylinder pressure if precautions are not taken, at least on a high perf pump). And there are other places that water is flowing where nothing has been engineered for high pressure, like through the intake manifold. This is frequently soft aluminum, few bolts, and a cheap fiber gasket or just silicone. Water pressure can also rise and fall unpredictably, hammering these gaskets into destruction with a pump that is loading and unloading. In the white water, we hammer our pumps with countless loads/unloads creating very high pressure spikes.
    As far as sand goes, its going to be there unless you just boat on the lake. The by-passes/regulators.thermostats etc should be fine with some sand, just take some precautions by flushing your block periodically. If you are really paranoid, add a sea strainer or make your own little sand trap with some fine mesh in it. I think a lot of sand stays suspended in the water and goes through the entire motor causing no problems. I aslo agree with 1968DT, sand in the block is not causing huge problems until you either fill the block or let it heat/dry so many times that it turns into a cement like substance. If you are using a by-pass or regulator set up, its easy to replace your freeze plugs with expandable rubber plugs, making sand flushing easy with a hose. Just make sure to carry a couple of extra plugs. With the pressure regulated or by passed, the plugs will stay where you put them. Makes winterizing a snap too-Aluminum Squirt

Jetaholic
    I'll add to Aluminum Squirt's post. To answer your question regarding cylinder pressure vs. water pressure...
    You're dealing with 2 different mediums. Inside the cylinder you are compressing air.
    In the water jackets, you have a liquid under pressure.
    Air can be compressed, but you cannot compress a liquid.
    Basically, the engine can handle air under high pressure, but not liquid under high pressure.
    Make sense?

pw_Tony
    Hmmm I understand now. So knock my psi down to bout 15 psi should be ok? And I was wondering somethin else. I'm knew to the blown boat scene. Should I run my boat cooler to try and help keep the blower cooler? 180 sounds good for N/A but should I run mine like 140?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234