Thread: 98 explorer help

Blown 472
    Working on this passengers side window electric motor, window wont go down, take the motor out it is stuck so I replace it, now the window just goes up and not down. Any ideas??

Jim Hall
    They have you covered over at the "ford explorations" web site.Anything and everything about Explorers

SmokinLowriderSS
    Bad switch. Remove battery power and check with an ohmmeter.
    Bad wiring connection. Check continuity of related wires and conections.
    Bad power relay. Does the motor get 12vdc on both run circuits? (CW & CCW)
    Less likely, bad motor.
    Reversible DC motors have 2 separate field coil winding circuits. if one is open, only 1 direction will work.

Reversible DC motors have 2 separate field coil winding circuits. if one is open, only 1 direction will work.
    That's not the way an automotive power window motor works. It is a simple DC motor with direction change achieved by reversing the polarity applied to the motor. This is done entirely in the switch.
    Blown, have you tried operating the window from both the master switch in drivers door and the switch in the passenger door? Did this vehicle have "auto up or down" feature or auto direction change in case of a jam in the window? Vehicles with these functions often require additional steps to get everything timed and reset.
    You can at least confirm the motor operates both directions by directly applying B+ and B- to the leads and then swapping them.
    Wish I had the wiring diagram.....

Blown 472
    That's not the way an automotive power window motor works. It is a simple DC motor with direction change achieved by reversing the polarity applied to the motor. This is done entirely in the switch.
    Blown, have you tried operating the window from both the master switch in drivers door and the switch in the passenger door? Did this vehicle have "auto up or down" feature or auto direction change in case of a jam in the window? Vehicles with these functions often require additional steps to get everything timed and reset.
    You can at least confirm the motor operates both directions by directly applying B+ and B- to the leads and then swapping them.
    Wish I had the wiring diagram.....
    It will go up with both door switches, I took the switch apart and couldn't see anything that would be doing this, I was told the wire breaks in the door jam where it has to bend everytime the door is opened. I wish I had a wiring diagram so I could reverse it as well. The other motor didn't work in any direction.

The broken wire from door to body is not uncommon on some of the vehicles I work on. It is generally in the driver's door harness.
    There should be 5 wires on passenger door switch. 2 go to motor. 1 should be B+ with key on. The other 2 come from the driver's door switch and should both show continuity to ground. If one of these does not have continuity to ground(going through the driver's door switch), the window will only go one direction. It should be fairly easy to backtrack and find the open. My bet is the driver's door harness as it gets cycled open/closed much more frequently

Blown 472
    The broken wire from door to body is not uncommon on some of the vehicles I work on. It is generally in the driver's door harness.
    There should be 5 wires on passenger door switch. 2 go to motor. 1 should be B+ with key on. The other 2 come from the driver's door switch and should both show continuity to ground. If one of these does not have continuity to ground(going through the driver's door switch), the window will only go one direction. It should be fairly easy to backtrack and find the open. My bet is the driver's door harness as it gets cycled open/closed much more frequently
    I will take a peek at that, thanks for all the input everyone.