Thread: Where do I put the flush valve?

TeamHawaiin
    I bought a real nice tunnel hull off of EBAY just two weeks ago. It has a Marine Max 350 Chevy. This boat was used in freshwater only. Now that I have it in primarily a saltwater environment, I need to install a valve that I can flush the engine with my garden hose. Can I put a three way valve in place of the first ball valve out of the pump? One way for salt water, the other way for fresh water flush. My hose routing looks almost identical to a diagram that WHISKEY WATER posted on another thread. If installing the threeway valve in this spot is correct, I would have to run the engine, then start the flush, because I would imagine if I started the flush first, water would force its way into the headers and drain back into an open exhaust valve. Could I just shut off the valve to the headers and let the flush go on for as long as I want? I would prefer this because I don't want the pump running without water too long. Which is another question, how long can you safely run the pump without water? Any inputs on this would greatly be appreciated. Sorry this post is so wordy, but I'm trying to cover the whole deal in one shot. I'll post a boat pic next time.
    The diagram can be found under this thread, water injection shut off valve started from
    76miller or if Whiskey Water can post the diagram in this new thread, I would appreciate it.

TeamHawaiin
    I appreciate the quick response, I plan on putting the boat in for the first time in saltwater this weekend and wanted that valve on. I'm almost done changing out the steering hub. The teeth on it were almost nubs that was left. The slack in the steering was over a quarter turn of the wheel before the nozzle back there started moving. The steering cable looks brand new so I believe the previous owner thought that was the problem. Sweet video. Thanks.

Danhercules
    To do this the right way in my mind would to get a rachet for the pump. Jetaway is on of them. You can disengauge the pump and run the boat as long as you want. They are pricey, but I think its the best way to go.

In a previous life for our boat, we it in the salt all the time. I just disconnected the line from the pump and hooked the garden hose up there. I also disconnect the lines going to the header lines and just turn on some water (not too much) and let it set and flush. No problems whatsoever and you'll like the ability of flushing without running the motor (can't do that with a outboard or inboard/outboard)
    When I pulled the motor apart the was zero concerns from that. The only problem I've ever had was the salt can mess up the starter if it's like mine and mounted down low. With that said, I got 3 years out of a cheapo auto starter so I can't hardly complain.
    Pulled the impeller nut off each winter as well just for grins. No problem there as well. Just kept it greased.
    Good luck and enjoy, nothing better than endless miles of boating without the crowds (at least around here)..John

watergun4u
    Just my .02 cents, but you take it for what it's worth, I think that if you are mostly going to use it in salt water, that you need to put some anoids on it so the eletroloices wont set in on the alum!! as it will coroad quick!!!!

TeamHawaiin
    I definately think the anodes are the next step. Flush valve went in without a hitch. I ran a splitter at the water source to run two garden hoses, one for the motor and one for the pump. The one for the pump was just secured at the scoop under the boat. Got to hear my boat for 10 minutes., pulled the baffles out of the headers while it was running. Sounds better. Valved the water on for the pipes. Nothing came out at first until I blocked off the discharge fitting with the palm of my hand. There is not a valve to restrict water out of the boat. Then I freaked when I saw water coming out the bottom turn of the headers. I didn't know they installed drain holes on every pipe. I learned alot about this boat today.
    I put the 80 pound sand bag back forward in the bow, it broke loose from its mountain of spray foam to hold it down. The right on was ok. It's a picklefork by the way. Bag was not broke open so I didn't have to clean up a mess. I made another mountain of foam. I was thinking about removing the bags because I would love to stand it up on take off but I imagine the ride would really suck.
    I would love to post some pics but I can't do it until my registration gets cleared or something. It's a sweet boat in my opinion.