Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: History on Sunkist Tunnel Hull Jet Boats?

pw_Tony
    Man your story really just slapped me in the face when it comes to fast stuff.
    I am really sorry for your loss back then, but know you at least affected one person just from a forum post

HDF WATERDOG
    Sorry for your loss.
    Sounds like the boat was fast, maybe to fast. You don't mention a lenght so I'll guess 17, 18, 19. 400 lb lay up is pretty light. Tunnel, Semi-Tunnel, air catcher. At those speeds catching air is a given. Sounds like a true accident. BTW, the pearl white Eddie Hill boat was called "The Texan", It also had a black texas star on the deck.

decooney
    Gents,
    Thanks for the kind comments. I guess it's really a story of paying the price and not really understanding the implications of what we were doing in 1981.
    The Sunkist was either a 18' or 19', but for some reason I keep thinking 18. If you took a flashlight from the inside of the hull and shined it into the glass, you could see the light through the other side. No, we were not wearing helmets or the appropriate gear including the correct life vest for me (I almost didn't make it, but was saved by a crab boat) It probaby could have made the difference between certain life and death for my Father, but he actually got tied up in the wreckage and got pulled in with the boat; as I understand it. And, YES, on the Eddie HIll topic, it was the Texan for sure. Man, that was the most amazing two passes one could ever see; and I can tell you first hand, that boat did NOT sound like the other Nitro boats; maybe a tad more Nitro that day intentionally or unintentionally. Anyhow, I'll take what you guys said... we were just going too fast for that type of boat. And I think the theory stated here about the boat rolling to one side and catching a wake just seems more correct than anything I've heard yet; I sort of recall that being the case but really still don't remember exactly. Thanks again.

DelawareDave
    I will add a little to this. I own a 1981 Sunkisst tunnel boat. Title lists it as 19'. And yes it is a very lightweight hull. I would imagine it was meant to be a race boat. Last 2 letters of the HIN are TR. Maybe for "Tunnel Race"?
    Sorry to hear your story. It sounds so akin to other stories of someone pushing the envelope to the limits and beyond. Sad to hear of tragedy for some, when others succeed.

decooney
    Delaware Dave,
    That's it, just like yours on your avatar. Same boat, exactly, but his was Red. Even the picture of the two people on your Avatar at that angle is like stepping back in time for me. The only difference is his had a giant fiberglass scoop perched on top of the two 1350 Dominator Alcohol carbs; like you see on the some of the dragster cars from that era. I was in the boat at 100 to 104mph on multiple occassions. It was very smooth and controlled at that speed, and even seemed to like a little chop in the water for whatever reason. Once we started moving up in the 110-115mph+ range the whole behavior of the boat and things started to change...it just seemed to get scary obtaining that last 10% into the 120s and that term was short lived. As for "success", in my father's case, it was all about going faster on any given Sunday after a long week's worth of work. In the end there was a payment for that success of speed in that boat. I bet if we'd kept it under 80 and just used it for recreational use, he'd still be here today. Our boating and racing it about was a huge part of my life back then, and it all stopped there. It's great to see all the neat pictures of these boats here; never stopped loving the boats!
    __________________________________________________ ______
    Oh well, thanks for listening you guys, it's helping. Duane

Sleeper CP
    Duane,
    Once again sorry for your lose . I have a friend with a 400 lbs youngblood we call the boat "liquid Fiberglass" . I wont ride in it over 85, as you set in it at that speed you can see the dash flex and one side of the boat will flex up and be higher than the other side. I'll keep to my CP Gullwing thank you.
    Pushing the envelope is one thing, walking on a tightrope with out a safety net is something different that sounds like what you dad was doing.Every thing has a limit.
    Good luck to you.
    Jon
    Sleeper CP
    565" Ford Lover, 1,000+ HP safely used since 1993

Cheyenne372
    :... As for "success", in my father's case, it was all about going faster on any given Sunday after a long week's worth of work..."
    "...In the end there was a payment for that success of speed in that boat...."
    Duane:
    I too am sorry for your loss and the memories that you have that make you continue to wonder to this day, but I believe that you have answered your own questions with the two sentences that you posted.
    I was around drag boat racing in the early 80's and you are correct, things were hugely different back then, but as I have matured, I can't imagine a dad taking his own kid in a boat at those speeds....for ANY reason.....not that when I was 21 in 1981 that I would not have given anything to go for a ride in one of these things!!!!
    The first sentence that I quoted above is one of the reasons that I race my boat today. When I mash the throttle, I am never as calm and scared at the same time as at that moment. That's something I don't get with my business and something that only drag boat racing has been able to give me.
    And your second sentence clearly sums up, at least to me, that there is a time and place to "write the check" for that payment you talk about....and that time or place is NOT AT THE LAKE.....but at a sanctioned event so that proper Rescue personnel and medical staff are there in case something goes wrong.
    I hope the comments you receive on this thread help.

decooney
    All, Yes - Thank You. It does help. I sort of filed it away for awhile, and out of nowhere, it sort of hit me all again after looking at boats myself. I live on the opposite coast now and have ever since that incident in 1981.
    It has not kept me from experiencing life though; but it does put a caution reminder over my own head any time I hit my own throttle pedal. Since 1998 solid, I've built, driven, tracked, put on events, and abosolutely drive and live the world of 427 Cobras; it's in my blood too. There are some squirley parallels, if you know what I mean and I'm doing my best to make sure the rubber side stays down
    Thanks Again.
    Duane

decooney
    All, Yes - Thank You. It does help. I sort of filed it away for awhile, and out of nowhere, it sort of hit me all again after looking at boats myself. I live on the opposite coast now and have ever since that incident in 1981.
    It has not kept me from experiencing life though; but it does put a caution reminder over my own head any time I hit my own throttle pedal. Since 1998 solid, I've built, driven, tracked, put on events, and abosolutely drive and live the world of 427 Cobras; it's in my blood too. I come across old drag boats on an occasion because I got into Ford FE engines as a result of Cobras, and there enlies the linkage between the two worlds. There are some squirley parallels, if you know what I mean and I'm doing my best to make sure the rubber side stays down
    Thanks Again.
    Duane

decooney
    All, Yes - Thank You. It does help. I sort of filed it away for awhile, and out of nowhere, it sort of hit me all again after looking at boats myself recently. I live on the opposite coast now and have ever since that incident in 1981.
    That loss has not kept me from experiencing life though; but it does put a caution reminder over my own head any time I hit my own throttle pedal. Since 1998 solid, I've built, driven, tracked, put on events, and abosolutely drive and live the world of 427 Cobras; it's in my blood too. I come across old drag boats on an occasion because I got into Ford FE engines as a result of Cobras, and there enlies the linkage between the two worlds. I've kept my interest low about going too fast in a straight line for too long and try to keep it in the corners instead which helps to scrub off some speed; or that's what I tell myself. There are some squirley parallels to boats in a 90" wheel base high-horsepower car, if you know what I mean, and I'm doing my very best to help keep the rubber side down
    Thanks Again.
    Duane

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12