Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motor man recommendation for engine problem

froggystyle
    I don't want to get too heavy on his meat stick here, but Clay Smith is the man. This guy is a plethora of information, and were it not that I have Ed Hale here in San Diego, I would trek up there really quickly. I would stick with him, especially if he knows the boat.

superdave013
    George at Clay Smit is the only guy i use. I have been going to him for years and years. He put my drag boat in the winners circle a few times. This might sound dumb, but did you check to see if you spit a chunck of exhaust manifold gasket out? I did that one time and thought I had a rod knocking. Was all bummed out and started to tear it down. Took off the headers and bingo. Chunk O gasket missing. You might get lucky too!

Timer
    Thanks guys. What great input this board has to offer!!
    I've decided to go with boatnam2's rec on Greg. I checked with Clay Smith and someone there confirmed that he does work for them and even works on Clay Smith's own stuff. I talked with Greg and he had some ideas about the problem being somewhat minor such as maybe a rocker arm off or a valve, and he described what diagnostics he would use. I will have him check the gasket deal, too.
    It's a bummer that I can't check into it myself, but just don't have the space at home. (Does anyone have a house on a non-desert, low elevation lake with a view and a big garage that they want to sell? Of course it's got to be an older house with "character" for the little lady, but with no problems so I don't have to do any work on it! HAHAHA)

skijake
    I have bought alot of parts from Gary Teague,
    I been to his shop many times and I can tell you if you are looking to have a bare hull rigged and have it done right and look first class he does a fantastic job.
    I also builds engines to buy outright that make good horsepower. I'm not sure what he does as far as repairs or rebuilds but he probly does.
    I know a few people that run engines that he built (twin turbos), they are putting out over 1100 HP and do last. He also sells a twin whipple motor.
    I is well know for building speedski boats and always new ones in his shop. Also building offshore boats.
    Looks like he can build and rig about anytype of ***boat.
    I agree that for what you want and need that someone that does things George someone else from Clay Smith might be the answer
    Good luck

Timer
    Thanks to all of you guys for the input.
    The boat's with Greg now and he found the problem -- one header had a hole blown through it near the bottom bend. That would explain the noise. I think the headers are 1986 vintage according to the stamp on them so I guess they've done their service.
    I asked Greg to look at some other things on the motor as he sounds like he really knows his stuff. Sounds like I may have it back tomorrow!

superdave013
    Timer, I have a set of headers that I am not using. E-mail me at valveautomation1@earthlink.net for more info.
    So I was almost right. It sounded like a blown exhaust gasket to me. A hole blown in the header is pretty close.

hey timer,im glad things worked out for you.one thing you can count on with gregg, he will get it done quick.

Timer
    Boatnam2, thanks for the recommendation on Greg. Looks great so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12