PDA

View Full Version : Sandbar question

wantacat
07-17-2004, 12:57 AM
IM heading out to havasu on sat. july 31st. Ive never been to the sandbar because its always closed when i go. Hoping this time it will be open. my question is, first I know its pretty shallow going up the river, which side should i hug when driving up there, california side? or arizona? second when i arrive at the sandbar do i just anchor up anywhere or is it like coppercanyon and steamboat were i can tie up to someone. thanks!!

h2oski2fast
07-17-2004, 01:21 AM
When heading up from Havasu. stay to the right of the middle. It aslo depends on what type of boat you have and the time of year
The Sandbar is, just that, a sandbar. It normally ranges from about 16" (or 48 RiverDave inches) above water and down. Its about the size of a football field, so you can just wonder around. Come in slow and have fun!

Wakker
07-17-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by h2oski2fast
about 16" (or 48 RiverDave inches) LOL:D

Kachina26
07-17-2004, 06:29 AM
As far as going up river, I prefer the AZ side of the deal. What I would do and actually did many years ago is follow someone, hang out for a few minutes if you have to.

Debbolas
07-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Kachina26
As far as going up river, I prefer the AZ side of the deal. What I would do and actually did many years ago is follow someone, hang out for a few minutes if you have to.
I agree, going to the sandbar, follow someone else through the shallow spot. You can see how shallow the water is, it gets real light.
Here is a pic...............http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566Park_Moabi_June_2004_021-med.jpg Have fun!:D

SoCalOffshore
07-17-2004, 10:14 AM
I would take the Arizona side. Stay towards the middle of the lake and take the arizona side as the river splitts into two channels. Stay on plane. I have no problem with my 32 runnin up that side. The CA side is dicey at best.

PlyaPlya22
07-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
I agree, going to the sandbar, follow someone else through the shallow spot. You can see how shallow the water is, it gets real light.
Here is a pic...............http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566Park_Moabi_June_2004_021-med.jpg Have fun!:D
That's a mean looking crew.b

Havasu_Dreamin
07-17-2004, 10:24 AM
As others have said, follow someone else your first few times, preferably a largr boat.
Once you get to the Sandbar there are two basic areas, the river side and the back side. The riverside is just that, exposed to the river and the wakes of passing boats. For this reason we prefer the back side since the wakes will break on the sandbar and the water is calme ont eh back side. Of course this all dependent upon the water level. Last weekend of June there was n sandbar to speak of, it was in about 2.5 feet of water.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-17-2004, 10:26 AM
:D

Keith E. Sayre
07-17-2004, 11:30 AM
I thought that I would add to the good advice already given about
following someone else. Do this about 400 yards behind them.
In other words, Go sit about 300 yards downstream from the little island of reeds that splits the river--so you'll still be in the
lake. Wait for someone to go up river on the Arizona side and
don't chase him, let him get several hundred yards ahead of you,
that way if he hits, you'll have time to stop or go around where
he is. Most people will follow 100 feet behind someone and that
isn't the greatest idea because if he's new--you'll hit too! Best advice: trim up and lay into it fast!
If you're impatient, stay about 100 yards to the west or to the Arizona direction on the first island of reeds and then aim for
the middle of the river. From there on, simply stay in the middle
of the river and you'll be fine. Stay to the middle or a bit left of
the middle going around the last 90 degree turn to the right
immediately downstream from the sandbar. The right side is
very shallow right there.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City

RiverToysJas
07-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Are those guys "using the bathroom?" :eek: :p :D
RTJas :D

1stepcloser
07-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Are those guys "using the bathroom?" :eek: :p :D
RTJas :D
I was thinking the same....the water looks pretty yellow in front of them....:D

rvrtoy
07-17-2004, 01:05 PM
"48 RD inches"
That is too funny

wantacat
07-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the help i will probably just wait for a bigger boat to pass by and i will follow. Anyone else going to the sandbar july 31?

100+Placecraft
07-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Hey People, just wanted to let people know that there is another shoe tree, its on Rt. 66 between Amboy and where it joins back up with the 40. Last time I went that way, a few weeks ago it was full of shoes!!!!!!