PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network of Direct TV

dupers
07-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Looking to get Satellite for our Arizona House. Which service is better or are they both the same?

GlastronGuy
07-17-2004, 04:10 PM
I have had both. If I had to pick one, it would be Direct TV.
They seem to have better package deals.

Boatcop
07-17-2004, 05:12 PM
I have Direct.
In 4 years, I've only had outages during severe rains. (Cow pissing on flat rock rains) And even then, they were only for a few minutes.
Good entertainment packages, too.

NewAzCpl
07-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Direct Tv for me also I think it is the best we have had it for 5 years.....
Question for the people with direct tv in AZ....
Do you get ABC, NBC and CBS there????? I cannot get NBC here they will not let me have it
Thanks
Lin

mickeyfinn
07-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Go direct.....By the time your contract is up someone will have hacked the PIV cards and you can get it for free.

dean51267
07-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Don't know why, but I had lots of problems with their billing system, seems no matter how much, or how often I paid, they misapplied, said they did not get it, etc, etc.
After a while I gave up and went back to cable.

PlyaPlya22
07-17-2004, 05:48 PM
I have had both also, I would definitely go with Direct

Boatcop
07-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Question for the people with direct tv in AZ....
Do you get ABC, NBC and CBS there????? I cannot get NBC here they will not let me have it
You can get local channels, although it's an extra 5 bucks a month. ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, UPN, etc. Here in Parker, it's the Phoenix stations. I suppose donw south, you'd get Yuma or Tucson. Up North probably Flagstaff.
Billing has never been a problem. I'm set up to pay automatically by credit card. Never had a problem, overcharge or mis-application of payment.

Rvr2Bch
07-17-2004, 06:18 PM
We love our DirecTv. We just got the Tivo box, and it is awesome. We ordered an extra box and took it to havasu, so we get the local havasu tv as well as local L.A. stations. Main reason we took it to havasu was for Lakers games, but found out that the music channels were awesome too.
Just my .02

Johnwithjm
07-17-2004, 06:25 PM
I have had both also. I like Directv alot better. If you love sports then direct is the way to go.

Bow Tie Omega
07-17-2004, 07:48 PM
We had Dish in SoCal and Direct in AZ now, we like Direct. We can get the Big 4 locally (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) and get the SoCal channels also for those days when the wife is home sick.

dmontzsta
07-17-2004, 07:55 PM
Direct TV all the way...
I just dont like satelite over cable cause of the damn east coast feed I get. I miss all the shows that come on at 9 or 10 because I am driving home from work when they are on at 6 or 7 out time.

sam pioske
07-17-2004, 08:48 PM
We have sold hundreds of direct T V systems thousands of dish systems a few '200' primestar when they were. A few thousand big dishes in their day. All but one of the company people have DISH. The person saying sports = direct tv, [only for NFL Sunday ticket] at $200.00 a season . All the dish packages either give you many more channels or cost less, check out their everything pack I belive it is $82.99..... 200 channels incl. local networks [dish has 20 or so more citys] every premeium movie channel hbo, cine, showtime, tmc. Totaly dish has 100 or so more channels than Direct to choose from. The Tivo system that Direct uses is 2 boxes, maybe one box recently and costs an additionl $8 to $12 per mo. depending! Dish is $4:99... Dish has a HDTV with PVR built in. Dish 522 model has 2 tunners built in 2 remotes you get PVR at 2 tv's NO 2nd PVR charge, same 2 tunner thing with 322. Direct tv has been in deep doo doo for a few years ,they were considering giving up. Dish bought them but trade commision said it would be a monoply and stopped the buy. Old Ruperrt Murdock has control now- that should be fun! And old Charlie Ergen is reported to be in the top 25 richest people in the world {Dish founder} Now back to my wine thats more than anybody should rant..........

LASERRAY
07-17-2004, 08:55 PM
I've never had Dish Network, but I do love my Direct TV. Every channel is digital quality as opposed to only the movie channels on cable. I'm looking forward to the standardized HDTV. That should be coming very soon.:cool:

Bow Tie Omega
07-17-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by sam pioske
We have sold hundreds of direct T V systems thousands of dish systems a few '200' primestar when they were. A few thousand big dishes in their day. All but one of the company people have DISH. The person saying sports = direct tv, [only for NFL Sunday ticket] at $200.00 a season . All the dish packages either give you many more channels or cost less, check out their everything pack I belive it is $82.99..... 200 channels incl. local networks [dish has 20 or so more citys] every premeium movie channel hbo, cine, showtime, tmc. Totaly dish has 100 or so more channels than Direct to choose from. The Tivo system that Direct uses is 2 boxes, maybe one box recently and costs an additionl $8 to $12 per mo. depending! Dish is $4:99... Dish has a HDTV with PVR built in. Dish 522 model has 2 tunners built in 2 remotes you get PVR at 2 tv's NO 2nd PVR charge, same 2 tunner thing with 322. Direct tv has been in deep doo doo for a few years ,they were considering giving up. Dish bought them but trade commision said it would be a monoply and stopped the buy. Old Ruperrt Murdock has control now- that should be fun! And old Charlie Ergen is reported to be in the top 25 richest people in the world {Dish founder} Now back to my wine thats more than anybody should rant..........
Yeah, Dish offers the everything package up as that, but every 3 months, the price goes up. We ended up paying like $110 a month for everything, I thought that was assenine and finally cut down our package. Not only that, but the issues they had with Turner, that was a joke, and they would not even offer any kind of refund for loosing the channels. No problems like that so far with Direct.

MagicMtnDan
07-17-2004, 09:43 PM
http://www.eletroaquila.com.br/directv.gif

Roxysnow
07-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Directv is a definite! They have all the sport packages. Dish Network is crap. If Dish told you they going to merge with Ditectv, it's a line of crap! GEt the Directv!

Essex502
07-19-2004, 10:34 AM
DirecTV only. Two dishes, seven receivers, HDTV, local channels, NFL package (At only $145 per season) between two houses - SoCal and LHC. No other for me.

Freak
07-19-2004, 10:36 AM
If you have a HDTV check out www.voom.com. They are the new kids on the block BUT they offer 35+HD channels. I'm going to it.

Lake Pirate
07-19-2004, 10:41 AM
I have had both and both suck. Especially now that they have merged. They cannot get their billing straight to save their lves and will NEVER take responsibilty for their own actions. I say get cable or read a book.

B-rad502
07-19-2004, 03:13 PM
We've had Direc TV now for almost 3 years and love it!! Much better channel packages. The only provider that has "NFL Ticket" which is HUGE for us! We'll never have "cable" again. Billing has been "dead on" every month, no complaints at all. :)
Oh yeah, they have a local channel package in AZ to get all the regular tv networks.

Steph
07-19-2004, 03:25 PM
We have Direct TV in AZ and here and we love it. No problems so far.

Pointerman
07-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by sam pioske
If there was even one correct fact in this post I would give it some credit. You clearly aren't selling DTV systems currently. The TiVo box is a single box for the DTV system. It can be purchased for as low as $49 and the subscription to the TiVo service for DTV is only $4.99. The box has dual tuners and makes the DISH PVR look like a dumb VCR (and DISH is being sued for patent infringement). DIRECTV is the number one satellite company for a reason. They produce a quality product and have very good customer service. Been with them for about 8 years now and would never use anyone else.

Three Days Only
07-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Direct TV - Without A Doubt.

DryHeatOnly
07-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Is there any difference in picture quality between the two - especially on live sports? I bought my HD-ready Sony bigscreen almost 3 years ago. Got DISH at the same time. The picture quality during live sports absolutely sucked. The store ran DirectTV and it looked good on the same model TV. I had DISH and Sony check it out. Nothing could be done :rolleyes: . They said the TV was too advanced for the signal. Plus, the compression/decompression was not the greatest w/DISH either. Everything else came in crystal clear.
Anyway, I learned to live with it but now that I'm out of my DISH contract, I'm wondering if it's worth the switch.
Are you happy with your picture quality on big screens & live sports?
Your thoughts??

Uplink
07-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by DryHeatOnly
Is there any difference in picture quality between the two - especially on live sports? I bought my HD-ready Sony bigscreen almost 3 years ago. Got DISH at the same time. The picture quality during live sports absolutely sucked. The store ran DirectTV and it looked good on the same model TV. I had DISH and Sony check it out. Nothing could be done :rolleyes: . They said the TV was too advanced for the signal. Plus, the compression/decompression was not the greatest w/DISH either. Everything else came in crystal clear.
Anyway, I learned to live with it but now that I'm out of my DISH contract, I'm wondering if it's worth the switch.
Are you happy with your picture quality on big screens & live sports?
Your thoughts??
The only way you will see the pure, full quality signal is to use an HD antenna (any high-gain UHF type) on your roof looking directly at your local broadcasters "over-the-air" signal like this....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/194hd-9085p.gif
(In LA, point it at Mt. Wilson)
Using your UHF HD tuner, you WILL SEE the difference, and have beautiful pictures.
Asuming you are watching prime-time or sporting events broadcasted in HD.
You will never get the full effect watching through Satellite/Direct/Dish or Cable, because they are CARRIERS and must COMPRESS the broadcasters signal. They have limited bandwith but must carry everybodys channels, hence the compression, which gets worse and worse as the years go on, and the variety of channels increases.
Good luck, Mark

gramps
07-19-2004, 06:11 PM
this is strange...............I posted this the other day but the post is GONE!!!!!! I have both, when my Direct contract is expired I'm gonna use my Direct dish and equiptment as an anchor!!!!!! Dish has never gone out on us................Direct goes out at least once a week and Direct has NO idea of the true meaning of customer "service".

riverrunner
07-20-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by gramps
this is strange...............I posted this the other day but the post is GONE!!!!!! I have both, when my Direct contract is expired I'm gonna use my Direct dish and equiptment as an anchor!!!!!! Dish has never gone out on us................Direct goes out at least once a week and Direct has NO idea of the true meaning of customer "service".
I agree, I've had both and would have to say Dish never goes out compared to Direct. Also the people at Direct are just plain rude.

THOR
07-20-2004, 06:53 AM
I have used both and prefer Direct hands down. I guess it depends where you live. I am in HB and it hasnt gone out yet (knock on wood). I also had it in Vegas and it never went out there either.

Essex502
07-21-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by gramps
I don't know gramps...DirecTV has given me outstanding service on all 7 of my receivers in two houses. End of story.

Freak
04-14-2005, 09:47 AM
So since my beloved VOOM is out of bus as of April 30th the consensus is Direct TV.

Essex502
04-14-2005, 10:26 AM
So since my beloved VOOM is out of bus as of April 30th the consensus is Direct TV.
DirecTV is the way to go. They will be launching 2 more satellites later this year to increase HDTV programming. Have you heard anything about Echostar (Dish network) launching additional satellites?

barbigrl
04-14-2005, 10:28 AM
TIVO is best with DirectTV.......dont know how I survived with out it! :confused:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
04-14-2005, 10:32 AM
mmmmmm I left Dir to go to dish, Dish gave me a free DVR for two rooms Direct wanted to charge me

HYPNAUTIC
04-14-2005, 10:37 AM
I've had DirecTv since '01. My only conplaint is that every year they raise the price on me a least $1.00. The dollar is no big deal its just annoying that they do this. This year it was $2.00. So like I do every year I called them to complain, and for being a loyal customer they gave me a $5.00 credit each month for six months and 2 free months of HBO, Cinemax and Showtime.

RitcheyRch
04-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Have had Direct TV for years and no problems.

WaTchTheGelCoat
04-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Wow, that didnt take long at all. Too bad, they had a huge advertising campaign.