PDA

View Full Version : Atkins - Who's done it?

LASERRAY
07-19-2004, 04:42 PM
I have been in the "Induction" phase for a week and have lost ten pounds, lost some waist size, and am starting to feel alot better Physically. I'm 6' 3" tall and was 278 lbs. ( I carry it well). According to government guidelines I should weigh no more then 192 lbs.:eek: Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me.
It's an easy diet to do ( as far as diets go ) and I find that i'm enjoying it, as it's not a typical lo-fat, rice cake, celery stick eating nightmare. My appetite is diminishing and I have a clear head.
I started reading the book the day I started the Atkins and only have a few chapters left.
Who else has tried Atkins? And how'd you do?
:cool:

DryHeatOnly
07-19-2004, 04:55 PM
I did it about 3 years ago for about 4 months. Lost about 15 pounds (give or take a pound). I put it all back on, plus 5 more, within 6-7 months.
I did the second go-round last year. Started in January '03 and stuck with it to the holidays. Went from 230 to 205 but realistically hovered around 210 for the latter part of the year. I slowly got away from the diet since then. Yes, I'm putting the weight back on. I'm at 220 right now. Over the weekend, I decided to go back on it again. It's gonna be a modified-Atkins though (it's still boating season and I do like Coors Light!!!).
Today for breakfast...Denver omlette w/cheese & salsa
Lunch...2 piece at El Pollo Loco (beans and corn...not the best thing to do for induction).
I'm 6' 2 1/2" and 220lbs. Let's see how it goes.
Good Luck Ray.

Kilrtoy
07-19-2004, 04:55 PM
My co-worker did it for his wedding and lost 30 pounds, he stopped and gained it all back and 10 ADDITIONAL POUNDS.
it is one of those thing you have to follow for life......
It can also be dangerous....

mirvin
07-19-2004, 04:59 PM
The trick with atkins is to go through all the phases and come out with a new "way of life" instead of a diet.
For me, I've been doing it for over 2 years now and my typical diet consists of meat, dairy, fruit, veggies, and whatever bread products I can find that are not made with bleached flowers.
You should end up with a very balanced diet. The main thing is to learn how to avoid processed starches and sugar.
mirvin;)

DryHeatOnly
07-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Kilrtoy is absolutely right. You have to do it for life. I was in the later phases from April-December. It wasn't bad. It was easy for me to stay away from the sugars which is something every adult should do anyway. The breads were more difficult for me. Again, white flour, is not something we need.
Life-time Atkins is not 'all fat and no carbs'. It's a balance.
Trader Joe's has a couple of lo-carb breads which are pretty good. Once you get past the first 2 phases and you want a sandwich, those breads make it no harm, no foul. Also, the Atkins baking mixes (corn bread, blueberry muffins) are really good! I should have eaten more of that. Trader Joes also has a good selection of lo-carb chocolate bars.
To be honest, I did well last year. I thought I could get away for a bit, then get back on it. The problem is is that I got away too far!
Ray - do you like Fatburger? Try a Double King w/cheese and all the condiments you like....w/no bun! Awesome. UmmmHmmm. :D

MagicMtnDan
07-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Diets are all alike in that if you don't change the way you were eating when you got fat you'll get fat again when you stop dieting (that's why they call them diets).
If you do well on Atkins then you don't need to "do it for life" but you will need to watch your carb intake closely for the rest of your life. As your physical activity goes up or down you'll have to modify your diet accordingly.
I've done Atkins a few times and it's great for me because if I look at carbs I gain weight. :( You need to get it started right (induction phase) and then stay with it while you exercise (again, like all diets). I started Atkins again in mid-February and have lost 35 lbs. and they're staying off but I'm playing tennis 4 times a week (anyone else play?).
Done right Atkins is a good diet and done wrong it's not good for you. Read the book first so you know what it's all about.

LASERRAY
07-19-2004, 05:36 PM
I'd go as far as to say that the book is a must! I had alot of misconceptions about atkins UNTIL I read the book. It explains all of the "hows and whats" that you need to know to really understand the approach. I was going to jump-into the book at the Induction" chapter but decided to start at the beginning. A wise move I might add.;)
As far as keeping a low carb approach even after reaching my goal weight, I'm all for that. Sugar is unnecessary and I can live without-it. ;)

Kilrtoy
07-19-2004, 05:48 PM
I have never done atkins, But does an Aimee or Autumn count....

dicudmore
07-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I have never done atkins, But does an Aimee or Autumn count....
lmao

LASERRAY
07-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I have never done atkins, But does an Aimee or Autumn count.... 66 minutes. It took exactly 66 minutes for the first attempt at comedy. You guys are slowing down!:D

RiverForUs
07-19-2004, 11:42 PM
for a few months and lost 40 pounds! 6'3" and down from 248 to 208. Not really on it now but my body seems to have settled into a weight regardless of what I eat. I've leveled off at 213 (-35lbs.) Once in a while I get up to 218 but a couple of days later I'm back to 213. This with absolutely no exercise or working out (since I couldn't get ahold of Aharon!):D :D j/k

JustMVG
07-19-2004, 11:51 PM
I did the Induction part of the diet for around 9 months and rode my bycycle everyday and worked out, went from around 320 down to 174, seriously, and i felt great but then i started to reintroduce the carbs back into my diet and after 4 1/2 years of marriage and slacking i've gained back alot, so i am back on the diet and hope to lose 50 to a hundred lbs over the next year, i want to feel better and at 44 i want to be in better shape, round is a shape i know but i am tired of looking the way i do and have to do something about it, well good luck on the Atkins diet it works and has worked for me in the past and hope to have it work for me again, it can be tough giving up some of your favorite things but moderation is the key once you've made your goal. I have learned this the hard way . Mike VG

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-20-2004, 06:25 AM
Did it for 4 months and lost 30 lbs.
6'2" tall and went from 220 to 190.
Now I just eat smaller portions and watch the carbs.
Diet Dr.Pepper RULES....0 carbs.....similar taste.
Feel GREAT!!!!....Now I can tie my shoes without passing out!
CJG

Mrs. casean
07-20-2004, 07:08 AM
I heard too many bad things about the Atkins diet so I just went the smart safe way that I knew would work for me and in 4 months I lost 20 pounds. I knew on the Atkins diet you usually lose the weight pretty fast, but I was affraid to put it back on after the hard work and discipline. I worked out (walk fast/run, or ride my bike) for 45 min - an hour. I cut out all the bad and in the nutrition label only at things w/ 5 or less fat grams. Totally cut calories and at smaller portions. I lost 1-2 waste sizes depending on the brand and am finally in some bathing suites from High School so that was worth it to me :) It is amazing how you feel even after 10 pounds off your body. I have stuck to the eating plan and I always have allowed 2 free nights a week to eat what ever I want for dinner. If any of you are sketchy of the Atkins and only have 20-30 to lose, this could work but it would take longer that Atkins. But I have not put anything back on at all and can stil enjoy many foods. Happy Dieting!

AngryJosh
07-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Hey, I have an idea... Go to the gym!!! Truthfully, I think Atkins is an unhealthy way of losing weight. But, I sort of speak from inexperience since I go to the gym and dont have a weight problem. Good luck;)

mirvin
07-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Atkins is not a substitute for excersise. It is however a very good alternative for those of us whose body and metabalism were just not working correctly on the high carb, low fat diets. Most people who are unable to make a standard diet work could really be helped by strait out giving up processed sugars and starches.
THat's what atkins has done for me. It's taught me what to eat instead of processed sugars and starches.
Make sure you eat lots of fiber, and don't depend solely on metamucil.
mirvin

spute
07-20-2004, 11:40 AM
i was in the induction phase for 2 weeks. i lost nearly ten pounds. i went to parker for the weekend, abandoned any sense of the diet by flushing beer, eating a moderate amount of pasta, a few chips, and only 6 slices of bread all weekend and put nearly all the weigh back on. i was a little surprised it could happen that easily and frankly i got very discouraged about the process. so, i am back at but with a little trepidation that it may be a lifestyle that is too retrictive for me.

LASERRAY
07-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by AngryJosh
Hey, I have an idea... Go to the gym!!! Truthfully, I think Atkins is an unhealthy way of losing weight. But, I sort of speak from inexperience since I go to the gym and dont have a weight problem. Good luck;) Hey Josh. I Loved the gym! Free weights, and machines. But I freekin' HATE doing cardio!:yuk: I packed-on 40 pounds of muscle in the last 3 years going to the gym everyday, taking copius amounts of Protein, creatine. and Andro. But I had to stop lifting about a year ago because of severe arthritis in my shoulders. I had surgery on my dominant shoulder and never went back to the gym.:( I was a solid 305 when I quit working-out. I'm now at 268. Some of that muscle turned-to fat but I still have ok tone for a big guy. The gut is what's killing me.
When I do get down to my goal wait, I WILL rejoin the gym and just avoid overuse of my shoulder.:cool:

HammerDown
07-20-2004, 04:38 PM
38 lbs so far...just when I thought things slowed down I got on a scale and 12 more were gone.
I Stick with it except for one day a week...pizza day (thin crust pepperoni) or I'll eat a (little) pasta instead of a big dog bowl:p

spute
07-20-2004, 04:50 PM
I should weigh no more then 192 lbs.:eek: Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me.
It's an easy diet to do ( as far as diets go ) and I find that i'm enjoying it, as it's not a typical lo-fat, rice cake, celery stick eating nightmare. My appetite is diminishing and I have a clear head.
I started reading the book the day I started the Atkins and only have a few chapters left.
:cool: [/B][/QUOTE]
Laserray- are you drinking beer at all?

HammerDown
07-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by spute
It's an easy diet to do ( as far as diets go ) a
Not a diet...a different way of eating:cool:

Jbb
07-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Diet Sprite tastes pretty close to the real thing also...

LASERRAY
07-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by spute
I should weigh no more then 192 lbs.:eek: Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me.
Laserray- are you drinking beer at all? [/B][/QUOTE]
No beer at all. Alcohol is forbidden during the induction phase.

07-20-2004, 06:29 PM
Do NOT do Atkins without reading the book first. Not only it will give you a better understanding why the diet [lifestyle change] works but you will eat properly and stay healthy if you follow the instructions. I lost 50 lbs, my blood pressure dropped to 114/74 and my cholesterol dropped to 138 and thats 5 years after having a heart attack. I feel better now than I have in the last 10 years.

bigq
07-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
I'd go as far as to say that the book is a must! I had alot of misconceptions about atkins UNTIL I read the book. It explains all of the "hows and whats" that you need to know to really understand the approach. I was going to jump-into the book at the Induction" chapter but decided to start at the beginning. A wise move I might add.;)
As far as keeping a low carb approach even after reaching my goal weight, I'm all for that. Sugar is unnecessary and I can live without-it. ;)
Congrats on actually reading the book, explains a lot doesn't it?It helps to understand the science. I have not read Atkins book, but did another one called "The Protein Diet". I started eating this way 4 years ago I would guess. I had high BP at 33 and was 35lbs over.
i don't even think about the way I eat now till you get a weird look from someone when you yank all the sugars off the plate.

LASERRAY
07-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by bigq
Congrats on actually reading the book, explains a lot doesn't it?It helps to understand the science. Absolutely. It's a schematic for the whole Atkins approach and is a must if one is serious about succeding on the plan.:cool: