PDA

View Full Version : Conquest Fire Hazard

TIBURON
07-21-2004, 11:54 AM
Just got a letter from Group One that the mirror in the head/storage closet on my deck boat can reflect the suns rays and burn the interior, maybe even my boat.
Actually happen to someone. Big burn marks in their interior.
Check it out...

MudPumper
07-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Had this happen to my buddies 50' Yacht. We were installing a section of mirrored lexan and had it out on the rear deck wich has removable carpet. We smelled something burning and the sun had reflected onto the carpet and burnt a hole right through it.

Danhercules
07-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Saw it in a local watering hole once. Bar stool was smokin!!

Keith E. Sayre
07-22-2004, 08:36 AM
We've been installing these mirrors for 10 years and all of a sudden 2 boats showed up with the burn marks. Our owners
said take them all out and give them a pouch to hold their cds
or keys in! The porta potti room lid has to be open to have it
happen and the boat has to be facing exactly the right direction
and the sun has to be low enough in the sky to be able to hit the mirror which is very high in the porta potti room. It's a one in a
million deal but it looks like the sun heats up the mirrored surface enough to warp it, then it turns into a parabola and concentrates the heat on the far wall.
If you have one, get it changed out or keep the lid closed when
you're parked.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

phebus
07-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Keith E. Sayre
The porta potti room lid has to be open to have it
happen and the boat has to be facing exactly the right direction
and the sun has to be low enough in the sky to be able to hit the mirror which is very high in the porta potti room. It's a one in a
million deal but it looks like the sun heats up the mirrored surface enough to warp it, then it turns into a parabola and concentrates the heat on the far wall.
Just market it differently, and call it a tanning booth. :D

hoolign
07-22-2004, 08:53 AM
That would be a good sell point if you could adjust it to burn off bikini straps..or melt the stereo beside you that has the same disc in half the day:D

RobR.
07-22-2004, 08:56 AM
On my old boat I had the deck lid open and my buddy yells to me that the carpet on the back side of the deck lid was on fire. We put out the small fire with a wet towel. Standing there talking about what had just happened it start up again in another spot.
The sun was reflecting off the stainless spark arrestor like a magnifing (sp?)glass. After that I would cover the spark arrestor with a towel when the decklid was open.