PDA

View Full Version : rebar sand spike

Phat Matt
07-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Who uses them and why? My boat got ****ed up by one at the Sandbar a little over a week ago. It scratched the shit out of my gel. It looks like someone keyed my boat. :mad: :confused:

clownpuncher
07-21-2004, 06:40 PM
That sucks.
Rebar= cheap=ghetto
Sandspike = cool/functional
RD's billet/powdercoated sandspike (if he ever makes some) = the shizzle - off the bling scale

Phat Matt
07-21-2004, 06:50 PM
The thing was under the water with out a bouy marker. What if someone fell on it and impaled themselves. Who would be responsible? :confused:
I had my box anchor holding the bow and a slide anchor holding the stern. We would move the boat back as the water level dropped. Another boat who I don't know tied up to my slide anchor, but I didn't care. We went for a walk and when we came back the boat tied up to my slide anchor was gone and the slide anchor was laying in the water. My boat drifted into the rebar on the side and rocked back and forth with the waves until I got back. I knew it was bad and really didn't even want to look at it until I pulled it off the water because it would have ruined my day and it was still early. When we was the boat the next day on the trailer I was pissed. Who can I blame though? The guys with the rebar? The guy I let tie up to my slide anchor? Or me for taking a walk? I guess it can all be fixed and nobody killed themselves on it.

Kilrtoy
07-21-2004, 06:50 PM
How did this happen, did they not tie a bouy off the top of it to alert people to its presence....

Phat Matt
07-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
How did this happen, did they not tie a bouy off the top of it to alert people to its presence....
I just posted the story. :)

SeaRayPat
07-21-2004, 06:53 PM
You have to come straight out of the trailer or rental lot to use rebar as a sand spike if i ever saw one i would cut the line ..so many good people out there have had there gel coats Fxxx up and one more thing is the assholes that leave there broken pop up shade tents on the river ....such dicks:mad:

Kilrtoy
07-21-2004, 06:54 PM
You were reading my mind.
I cant believe someone who was unprepared , did this too you. They tie up to your stuff and then leave and screw your stuff up.
Granted the rebar may be GHETTO, his stuff was still in place... Can't blame him

Phat Matt
07-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
You were reading my mind.
I cant believe someone who was unprepared , did this too you. They tie up to your stuff and then leave and screw your stuff up.
Granted the rebar may be GHETTO, his stuff was still in place... Can't blame him
I know. It just one of those situations where you get screwed. I guess that is what you get for being nice. :(

cc322
07-21-2004, 07:05 PM
That really suck's. I for one will not leave my boat when I am at the sand bar, at least not very far. I have left for a walk but someone is always with my boat. The guy that tied up next to you really had no business useing your anchor (imo) he was the one that more than likely did not secure it when he left, dont be to hard on yourself take it as a lesson learned and maybe contact your insurance co, depending on your deductable :frown:

throwerb
07-21-2004, 07:07 PM
The people that rent boats and houseboats use the stupid rebar and half the time the people who rent leave them. My daugter cut her foot on one last year at Mohave. The least the rental places could do is paint them a bright color. Sorry about your boat.:(

TheEduKATor
07-21-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm always a little aprehensive to leave the boat alone at the sandbar. The last time we were out with you at the sandbar Matt a family with a huge and nice eliminator that was in front of us left their boat to go on a walk. He had a box anchor in front and a sand spike that either he didn't set properely or the current pulled it up because all I remember hearing was a thud and I looked up to see my sponsons over his transom. Our boat never moved with our box anchor but his sure as hell did. I pulled his boat up and set the anchor a little further foward and deeper so it wouldn't happen again. No damage though, but it could have been a lot worse with the current and winds. Nothing like seeing your boat up against the rocks or up against another boat when when you walk back with your family.
The guy who tied up to your slide anchor should have at least made sure he didn't untie you when he was leaving. Common sense is not so common these days. Just leave Buddy on the boat he'll take care of it when you are walking around.

Toomstone
07-21-2004, 08:44 PM
we were at the sanbar recently and were walking around but still looking back at the boat. then a chapparal deckboat came up next to us and we hurried back. luckily the people were really nice and cared about there boat like i do. so they tied off the front and the back also. you can never be to careful. it only takes one idiot parked next to you and you got yourself a messed gel coat.

CrazyHippy
07-21-2004, 09:01 PM
What goo would a marker bouy have done?? No one kicked it, and the bouy wouldn't have saved your boat. I'd be bummed too, but a "real" sandspike would have done damage too, so dont hate the rebar.
BJH:frown:

Phat Matt
07-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by CrazyHippy
What goo would a marker bouy have done?? No one kicked it, and the bouy wouldn't have saved your boat. I'd be bummed too, but a "real" sandspike would have done damage too, so dont hate the rebar.
BJH:frown:
Are you kidding me. A marker bouy would at least let people walking by or running by to catch a football know it was there. What if you or a friend fell on it because you couldn't see it UNDER the water. If it were a real sand spike it would have had to gone through the rubber coating first. :rolleyes:

Ziggy
07-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
Are you kidding me. A marker bouy would at least let people walking by or running by to catch a football know it was there. What if you or a friend fell on it because you couldn't see it UNDER the water. If it were a real sand spike it would have had to gone through the rubber coating first. :rolleyes:
Not my sandspike..Mines 100% Stainless, knurled hammer grip...it'd torn your gel too. Just c rappy luck, its a shame nobody else notice and stepped up to help ya. I've had my boat break loose while a ways away from it and others around got it hoooked back up.....thanked 'em with a few brewskies;) :)

Phat Matt
07-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Maybe I'll just carry these OSHA approved rebar caps in my close box for next time. :)
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/construction/images/rebar_1.jpg
Oh wait, these ones are only approved to stop scratches, not impalement.

TheEduKATor
07-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Do they only make them in orange, I'd like a couple in blue to match.

Phat Matt
07-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by TheEduKATor
Do they only make them in orange, I'd like a couple in blue to match.
I'll get then painted, but only because it's you. :p

Outnumbered
07-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Matt, they are the same ass holes that door ding your new car at the store, leave their trash on the beach, use the back of your pick-up as a trash can in the parking lot, steal your box anchor, etc.
Problem is that most kids have no respect and no manners anymore. Blame it on their parents for raising ass hole kids with no morals.
Old (grumpy) Lavey:D

Phat Matt
07-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Matt, they are the same ass holes that door ding your new car
Yeah, that happened to me too, at Windsor. No note, no beer. It was a little more than a ding though. What are ya gonna do? :rolleyes:

phebus
07-22-2004, 08:27 AM
I think a boat with the name "My Little Friend" left it. :D

RiverDave
07-22-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
That sucks.
Rebar= cheap=ghetto
Sandspike = cool/functional
RD's billet/powdercoated sandspike (if he ever makes some) = the shizzle - off the bling scale
It's in the works right now.. ;) :)
RD

phebus
07-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
It's in the works right now.. ;) :)
RD
Sure, right after I just went out and bought one of the "other" ones. :mad:

RiverDave
07-22-2004, 08:53 AM
I won't have enough of them ready for sale for about a month yet..
I'll have prototypes in a week and a half or so, but I still have to send them out and get them annodized etc.. which takes about a week or two as well.
I'll also annodize them to match your boat as well as cut the name of your boat or CF/AZ #'s into it as well (help to stop thefts) for a couple extra bucks.
RD

superdave013
07-22-2004, 09:09 AM
I use a re-bar style spike. It's worked well for over 15 years so far.
They are free and works as well or better then those high buck ones you guys have.
I don't think it would hurt your gel any more then any thing else.
Anyone who puts any spike under the water is pretty dense if you ask me.

HM
07-22-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
I use a re-bar style spike. It's worked well for over 15 years so far.
They are free and works as well or better then those high buck ones you guys have.
I don't think it would hurt your gel any more then any thing else.
Anyone who puts any spike under the water is pretty dense if you ask me.
I am like Dave, I used, and my family used the rebar "ghetto" spikes for years, only just a few years back, a nice piece of rebar was the sheeit - ghetto was using a rock. I now have a slide anchor. I have to agree, my rebar worked better! But then I carried a sledge hammer as well and didn't have a nice carrying bag.
Bottom line is that it sucks some a-hole left it there - but does not suprise me with all the other trash that is left there. Not as likely for someone to leave a slide anchor, and if they did, it would probably get stolen! Good thing no one got hurt!!
Just one more thing for you guys to look out for!