PDA

View Full Version : Any Ford Mechanics In Here ??

Hallett19
07-22-2004, 11:50 AM
I am having a problem with a friend's 95 Ranger. The starter makes a loud CLICK sound when you try to start it, and it doesnt move, sounds like it is hitting up against the flywheel . Anyways, someone told him it was the battery, that wasnt it. I replaced the solenoid on it, that wasnt it, replaced the starter, that wasnt it, put all the old stuff back on, bypassed the solenoid (tied both leads together with a screwdriver) and it started every time !! What the hell could this be ??? Sorry I posted it in sandbar, but I know this gets the most foot traffic and would probably be answered pretty quick.
And please refrain from Ford jokes untill I have an answer, I have probably heard them all by the way :D And that means you Wes !!

gramps
07-22-2004, 11:52 AM
no Ford mechanics here............they are all working overtime!

Hallett19
07-22-2004, 11:53 AM
ha ha :yuk:

Keithb87
07-22-2004, 12:03 PM
If it's not the starter, or the solonoid, have you checked the ignition switch on the top of the steering column?
My buddy had this same problem on his 1990 F350 there is a switch on the top of the column with a rod that goes from the key switch to the starter switch. I belive you can get it at any auto parts store for around $15 to $20.00 but you have to drop the column to change it.
Keith(hope I'm right)B87
:D

Bre
07-22-2004, 12:06 PM
If you don't get help from anyone on here let me know and I can give you Andy's sisters husbands number. He is a mechanic

Hallett19
07-22-2004, 12:11 PM
just for a dumb switch ?? sheeeitttt. Let me call my friend and tell him "good luck"
Yeah, Bre, that would be cool if I dont find out soon.

Jrocket
07-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Some of the F series trucks,older ones had a recall for the key switch being bad.Probably the same for the rangers.

Keithb87
07-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Or he can run the wires through the firewall to a "old time" push button type starter switch. just have to have the keys in the column to unlock the steering wheel. :D
Not the nicest looking setup, but it will work. :eek:

Hallett19
07-22-2004, 12:19 PM
is that how they do it in AZ ?? :D

Bre
07-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Pm me tonight if you don't find out. Then I will call him and let him know you will be calling.

Keithb87
07-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Hallett19
is that how they do it in AZ ?? :D
In some parts, yes. :D
I know this guy, but he's from Kentucky, we call him Hillbillie. You should of seen his truck.
It took 3 hands to start it. :eek:

hboldno7
07-22-2004, 12:32 PM
I replaced the ignition switch on My 88 Bronco this past weekend. Two bolts and the column comes down far enough to get it out.

BOBALOO
07-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Sounds like not enough voltage/amperage getting thru the solenoid.
Alot of times goofy problems can be traced back to poor grounds. There is a small ground on the radiator support or inner fenderwell that gets loose or corroded and causes all sort of gremlins on fords. I have fixed everything from poor running cars to dim lights just by cleaning this one ground. It will be about a 1/4 diam wire.
Dont know if it helps but it's free to check.

HP350SC
07-22-2004, 04:08 PM
I am having a problem with a friend's 95 Ranger. The starter makes a loud CLICK sound when you try to start it, and it doesnt move, sounds like it is hitting up against the flywheel . Anyways, someone told him it was the battery, that wasnt it. I replaced the solenoid on it, that wasnt it, replaced the starter, that wasnt it, put all the old stuff back on, bypassed the solenoid (tied both leads together with a screwdriver) and it started every time !! What the hell could this be ??? Sorry I posted it in sandbar, but I know this gets the most foot traffic and would probably be answered pretty quick.
And please refrain from Ford jokes untill I have an answer, I have probably heard them all by the way :D And that means you Wes !!
Loud click tells me ign. switch and neutral safety/clutch switch is fine. When you say you tied 2 wires at solenoid are you talking about the starter relay on fender or the solenoid on the starter?
Basically the small red/blue wire is the trigger wire from the ign. and it goes to the starter relay on fender. The starter relay will connect the 2 larger wires on the relay studs and send power down to the solenoid trigger wire at the starter. Make sure you have power on both studs while someone holds key in crank position. IF all this is working properly, then you either have a bad engine ground or what is common on Ranger and Explorers is the positive cable "rots" out inside the battery terminal. It is the larger gauge red wire at the battery terminal. The smaller one going over to the starter relay will still allow current flow which is why everything else still works. Replace the pos. cable to fix it right, but you can replace the pos. cable end at the battery with one of the universal clamp down types, will last awhile.
If you have a test light I'll walk you through it:)

gramps
07-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by HP350SC
Loud click tells me ign. switch and neutral safety/clutch switch is fine. When you say you tied 2 wires at solenoid are you talking about the starter relay on fender or the solenoid on the starter?
Basically the small red/blue wire is the trigger wire from the ign. and it goes to the starter relay on fender. The starter relay will connect the 2 larger wires on the relay studs and send power down to the solenoid trigger wire at the starter. If all this is working properly, then you either have a bad engine ground or what is common on Ranger and Explorers is the positive cable "rots" out inside the battery terminal. It is the larger gauge red wire at the battery terminal. The smaller one going over to the starter relay will still allow current flow which is why everything else still works. Replace the pos. cable to fix it right, but you can replace the pos. cable end at the battery with one of the universal clamp down types, will last awhile.
It looks to me that we finally have a Ford Mechanic in the house!!!!!

HP350SC
07-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Yep:) 17 years with Ford. Sure is hard to explain what to do by typing though. 10 second diag. if it's in front of me;)

intense
07-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by HP350SC
Basically the small red/blue wire is the trigger wire from the ign. and it goes to the starter relay on fender. The starter relay will connect the 2 larger wires on the relay studs and send power down to the solenoid trigger wire at the starter. Make sure you have power on both studs while someone holds key in crank position. IF all this is working properly, then you either have a bad engine ground or what is common on Ranger and Explorers is the positive cable "rots" out inside the battery terminal. It is the larger gauge red wire at the battery terminal. The smaller one going over to the starter relay will still allow current flow which is why everything else still works. Replace the pos. cable to fix it right, but you can replace the pos. cable end at the battery with one of the universal clamp down types, will last awhile.
That's exactly right!:D

Hallett19
07-23-2004, 08:55 AM
Well, unfortanatley, we replaced the + cable and that didnt do anything. We put on a Conrad (cheapy) fender solenoid (relay) and that didnt do anything either. When I say I jumped the solenoid, I put a screwdriver on the two large posts of the fender relay and it started fine every time. I will check the grounds, but I dont think that is it considering it started just fine each time with jumping the solenoid. You guys are always a plethora of knowledge and I appreciate it more than you know ! Especially you HP, why do you have a 350, should be running the 351 :D

Froggystyle
07-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Especially you HP, why do you have a 350, should be running the 351 :D
Dude... read his post. It is self explanatory. Fix Fords for income, drive Chevys to work. Drive Chevys for fun.
Fix Fords = $$$
Drive Chevys = :D :D :D
Simple equation.

BOBALOO
07-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Did you check to see if the 12v source to the relay (small terminal) was getting a full 12v?
Try jumpering the large 12v battery side to the small ign trigger wire terminal with a small wire.
Or since I am going to Pasadena in 1/2 hour to pick up some stuff and am off all day waiting on my wife to get home so we can leave for Havasu,give me a call and I will see if we can figure it out.
PM on it's way