PDA

View Full Version : Proper and improper apostrophe usage...

HighRoller
07-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Okay, I can't stand it any longer. I'm sick of seeing TRUCK'S on sale in the paper, people saying there are more PHOTO'S somewhere else, or telling me everything has IT'S purpose. Did the schools stop teaching english in the last ten years? Did they tell you that someone will not FAIR well in the world without a good grasp of the language? Or that 150mph is TO fast for a lake boat? It's not just here, either. I've seen poor english in the paper, on ESPN, even on FOX News scrolled along the bottom of the screen. WTF? These people are college degree holders and can't punctuate correctly? I have a public school education and only two years of community college and I noticed this. Anyone else notice, or am I just overly sensitive?

bigerich
07-22-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
Or that 150mph is TO fast for a lake boat?
I do notice, and hope you were making a point there??? You know it should be "TOO fast", right?

Jordy
07-22-2004, 09:39 PM
The one that gets me is:
your: possesive
and
you're: contraction, short for you are. As in you're an asshole. :D

MagicMtnDan
07-22-2004, 09:40 PM
While we're at it:
Your = something that belongs to you (a person's; one's)
You're = you are (it's a contraction of you are)
Please stop using "your" when you mean "you're" :)

Jrocket
07-22-2004, 09:40 PM
dude like just chill bro..like like uhhh like uhh whats the dealio bro?sounds like yous needs to just kick it bro and its will be ok bro.like like im always juss chilln
Do you mean like that?

Jrocket
07-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
As in you're an asshole. :D
Somebody call'n me?

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-22-2004, 09:44 PM
no that would be me.. LOL!!:D

Jordy
07-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
While we're at it:
Your = something that belongs to you (a person's; one's)
You're = you are (it's a contraction of you are)
Please stop using "your" when you mean "you're" :)
Sorry MMD, you're a day late and a boat short... :p

MagicMtnDan
07-22-2004, 09:54 PM
It was only a minute but I am still one boat short :D

HighRoller
07-22-2004, 09:59 PM
No, like some people don't know what THEIR talking about.

Jrocket
07-22-2004, 10:02 PM
No, like some people don't know what THEIR talking about.
Well fock..here we go again.

fourspeednup
07-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Doesn't really piss me off too much but sometimes it will actually change the context of a post.....very easy for the reader to misinterpret what the poster is trying to convey.
---four(((scored a 760 on the english portion of the SATs)))speed:cool:

HighRoller
07-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Don't worry, JR. I'm not going their. I know its been to much drama on the boreds already so I won't stir the pot.

Blown 472
07-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Don't worry, JR. I'm not going their. I know its been to much drama on the boreds already so I won't stir the pot.
And then there is the ****ing spelling,,,,,boreds??? wtf??:D :D :p

cigarette1
07-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Okay, I can't stand it any longer. I'm sick of seeing TRUCK'S on sale in the paper, people saying there are more PHOTO'S somewhere else, or telling me everything has IT'S purpose. Did the schools stop teaching english in the last ten years? Did they tell you that someone will not FAIR well in the world without a good grasp of the language? Or that 150mph is TO fast for a lake boat? It's not just here, either. I've seen poor english in the paper, on ESPN, even on FOX News scrolled along the bottom of the screen. WTF? These people are college degree holders and can't punctuate correctly? I have a public school education and only two years of community college and I noticed this. Anyone else notice, or am I just overly sensitive?
Your trippin'
;)

Jrocket
07-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Hell I dont care,just more stuff too read for me. :D

HighRoller
07-22-2004, 10:30 PM
472, that post was in jest. Go back and search all of my posts on this site. You'll find that probably one word in 5,000 is misspelled.

Blown 472
07-22-2004, 10:33 PM
472, that post was in jest. Go back and search all of my posts on this site. You'll find that probably one word in 5,000 is misspelled.
Dang it, hear I thought I had some thing on use.:D :D

07-22-2004, 10:39 PM
No, like some people don't know what THEIR talking about. Isn't it "they're" instead of "THEIR"? jus' askin.:D

HighRoller
07-22-2004, 10:40 PM
you don't no what your talking about:D

DaveA
07-22-2004, 10:47 PM
So your spellchecker failed...relax! It's only a .0005% error rate. At least you use one (the one in your head). Good for you. Maybe this will heighten awareness of basic spelling/proofreading. Uh...***boat....are you listening? Oh, that's right. Brett Bayne does that for you.
One of my favorite columns on the newspaper's editorial page is James Kilpatrick's "The Writer's Art". He'd suffer apoplexy if he spent any time here!

HighRoller
07-22-2004, 10:56 PM
I don't believe in spellcheck because if you say "you don't no what your talking about" it will pass. To many peeple rely on spelcheck to make sure they're work is accurate.

DaveA
07-22-2004, 11:02 PM
I don't believe in spellcheck because if you say "you don't no what your talking about" it will pass. To many peeple rely on spelcheck to make sure they're work is accurate.
Read again...it's a Compliment regarding the one in your HEAD. It works well. Congratulations.
See? :D

Boozer
07-22-2004, 11:14 PM
I think your all f*ckin crazy its just typing and like its really that important. You need to get you're crazy obsessive compulsive disoders under control or your going to kill yourself's worrying to much about this stuff. Its just typing. Sheesh.

HighRoller
07-22-2004, 11:19 PM
I caught your comment DaveA. Thanks. I take pride in representing myself well in word and on paper. I was just saying that too many peeps rely on spellcheck. Laziness and poor education I guess. I was taught that it was important to spell, add and write well in our country.

Essex502
07-23-2004, 07:17 AM
"its" or "it's" both are correct when used properly.

91nordic29
07-23-2004, 07:19 AM
now, correct me if i am wrong...
whenever our weather guy on channel 3 is out on location, at the bottom of the screen they have this ...Brad's Live!
it bugs me to death. that means that brad owns a live? shouldnt it be ...Brad, Live!...???

Jordy
07-23-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
now, correct me if i am wrong...
whenever our weather guy on channel 3 is out on location, at the bottom of the screen they have this ...Brad's Live!
it bugs me to death. that means that brad owns a live? shouldnt it be ...Brad, Live!...???
I believe in that case it's a contraction for Brad is live. ;)

91nordic29
07-23-2004, 07:26 AM
i know that is (i mean that's) what they want it to mean but i dont (i mean don't)think proper nouns are supposed to be (is this a word?;) contractualized.:cool:

plaster dave
07-23-2004, 07:34 AM
ok take a look at this i recieved as an email a while back i thought it was funny.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht
the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses
and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn
mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe
:D

Mrs. Psycho Squid
07-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by plaster dave
ok take a look at this i recieved as an email a while back i thought it was funny.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht
the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses
and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn
mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe
:D :D

dicudmore
07-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by 058
Isn't it "they're" instead of "THEIR"? jus' askin.:D
yes, thats probably why he capitalized it for us all as an example :rolleyes:

FRENCHIE
07-23-2004, 08:00 AM
FUC'# IT ALL!:p ;)

Mrs. Psycho Squid
07-23-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by dicudmore
yes, thats probably why he capitalized it for us all as an example :rolleyes:
thats or that's!! :p

N2Lake
07-23-2004, 08:12 AM

N2Lake
07-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Shit is, uh I mean Shit's hitting the fan over here.

Rexone
07-23-2004, 08:25 AM
What the hell are you guy's talking about. I havent noticed many spelling error's on ***boat.

HighRoller
07-25-2004, 09:13 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what percentage of the verbage/punctuation/spelling errors are caused by intoxication!

Rexone
07-25-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what percentage of the verbage/punctuation/spelling errors are caused by intoxication!
verbiage
So what kinda beer you drinkin Webster?

HighRoller
07-25-2004, 09:28 PM
JD and Diet Coke....just gettin warmed up, and got some Silver tall boys in the fridge!

Petrofied
07-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Stay down and don't make noise, It's the punctuation Police.............LOL :D

HighRoller
07-25-2004, 09:34 PM
So what kinda beer you drinkin Webster?
Actually, to tell the truth I noticed I hadn't made an error in 4,954 words so I had to get it out of the way before I got too hammered...:D