PDA

View Full Version : Boat registration?

prop check
07-23-2004, 08:52 AM
In California if you buy a new boat is there a grace period before it has to be registered?

jbtrailerjim
07-23-2004, 08:59 AM
I'd register the boat in Arizona. So, you don't have to pay property tax on it every year.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
I'd register the boat in Arizona. So, you don't have to pay property tax on it every year.
Yeah, what he said.

Havasu Cig
07-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Make sure you do an out of state delivery or else California will still come after you.
On my last DCB I did an out of state delivery, the boat was never used in California, the boat was registered to my house in Havasu, and I payed AZ sales tax on it at the time of purchase.
Well California still came after me for sales tax because I am a California resident. They ended up dropping the demand for $$$ after I provided them with all the above info, but the bastards still tryed.:mad:

clownpuncher
07-23-2004, 09:32 AM
I know this has been beat to death already, but I forgot what the outcome was........It's getting that age for me.........
I store my boat in AZ, probably always will. Don't have a house there yet but I keep it in a boat storage in Parker.
Can I re-register in AZ and be on the up-n-up?

phebus
07-23-2004, 09:34 AM
As long as you use that boat 51% of the time in Az.

clownpuncher
07-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Yep. It's either Parker, Blythe or Havasu on 99% of the trips. Thanks

Essex502
07-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
I know this has been beat to death already, but I forgot what the outcome was........It's getting that age for me.........
I store my boat in AZ, probably always will. Don't have a house there yet but I keep it in a boat storage in Parker.
Can I re-register in AZ and be on the up-n-up?
Yep...100% legal and free from assessment of CA property tax. Be sure to have the boat out of state on Jan 1 of wach tax year to be 100% compliant.

prop check
07-23-2004, 10:17 AM
I am doing an az reg legit. but I wanted to run it in Ca. after I pick it up just to check it before I ship it to Az.

phebus
07-23-2004, 10:21 AM
No problem, you can use an Az. registered boat in Ca. It just has to be used 51% of the time in the state it is registered in.

RiverForUs
07-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by phebus
As long as you use that boat 51% of the time in Az.
I believe it's covered in the Coast Guard manual as wherever you use your boat most of the time.
Let's say you boat out of Laughlin, Needles, and Havasu. If you boat in Nevada 33% of the time, California 33% of the time and Arizona 34% of the time you're legal to register it in AZ even though you're not at 51%. :D :D
I know, I'm being technical, but I'm just trying to clear things up.

Excessive Force
07-23-2004, 10:48 AM
So this Az deal only really benefits those with expensive a** boats?:confused: isnt it 1% in calif of boats worth.

Essex502
07-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Excessive Force
So this Az deal only really benefits those with expensive a** boats?:confused: isnt it 1% in calif of boats worth.
Your CA property tax rate on boats is 1% annually on the value. Value should decrease each year.

plaster dave
07-23-2004, 11:46 AM
ya well 1% of $75,000.00 is still more than an out of state reg. from fish & game of az. whice is $150.00 i think it was.

Boatcop
07-23-2004, 11:51 AM
To answer the original question, it's 15 days.

Stealth Marine
07-23-2004, 12:41 PM
If its not too late, there really are some substantial financial incentives to registering your boat in Arizona rather than California.
#1.
Your trailer registration is good for life.
You pay only once for the tags and plates.
#2.
Your boat registration is pretty cheap.
"Nonresident Pleasure"
The fee is $20.00, plus the “license tax” of $2.90 per foot or fraction thereof up to 18 feet and $5.50 per each foot or fraction thereof over 18 feet.
#3.
There is no luxury tax on boats in Arizona.
#4.
There are no noise limits on exhaust.
#5.
Your total sales tax is usually lower.
#6.
Arizona does NOT require you to be a resident to register your boat!.
They allow non-resident registrations

Boatcop
07-23-2004, 02:21 PM
#4. There are no noise limits on exhaust.
Don't count on it, Bucko! :D
Arizona Revised Statutes
5-336. Muffling devices
A. Every motor driven watercraft shall at all times be equipped with effective equipment, in good working order and in constant operation, to prevent excessive or unusual noise except as provided in subsection C.
B. It is not the intent of this section to prohibit the use of any type of exhaust system or exhaust device, including those systems and devices which do not discharge water with the exhaust gases, if such system or device complies with subsection A of this section.
Arizona Game and Fish Commission Rules:
R12-4-516. Watercraft Sound Level Restriction
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a watercraft upon the waters of this state under any condition or in any manner that the watercraft emits a sound level in excess of 86 decibels on the "A" weighted scale when measured from a distance of 50 feet or more from the watercraft.
5 outa 6 isn't bad, though.

Excessive Force
07-23-2004, 02:38 PM
If its not too late, there really are some substantial financial incentives to registering your boat in Arizona rather than California.
Here in Cali we have PTI for the trailers. Dont recall if its a one time deal or not. But trailer would definitely have to be registered here. My "Tax collector" aka lux. tax? bill is like $146.00 (yes my boat isnt worth jack), in AZ it would be $60.25 for a 19.5 ft boat?

Stealth Marine
07-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
Don't count on it, Bucko! :D
5 outa 6 isn't bad, though.
What we have here is a case of "Reality vs. Theory".
You cite the correct law, but the enforcement of it, as a general rule, for most of the people most of the time, simply doesn't exist.
There are always exceptions, and if you manage to get in someone's face, they can certainly go after this infraction.
But I think the real issue is going to be the change in the california noise law and the coming enforcement. The overlapping jurisdictions will no doubt reek havock with us.

prop check
07-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Ok, Here is the written law with refrences Per Ca. Vehicle code 2000 ed. Division 3.5 starting on page 269 (synopsis)
1. Vessel is to be registered in state of principle use.
2. If the boat is registered in AZ the owners county of residence has no right to any taxes on it per. Division 3.5 chapter 2 article9869 page 276..
Thank you all for your help I hope I have returned some :)

Boatcop
07-23-2004, 03:49 PM
You cite the correct law, but the enforcement of it, as a general rule, for most of the people most of the time, simply doesn't exist.
Tell that to the couple dozen or so folks who've gotten cited for it over the past year here on the Strip.
I'm sure you'll get all kinds of stories from others who have in other places in AZ, too.

prop check
07-23-2004, 04:08 PM
did you say I had a fifteen day grace period before it had to be registered?? for instance it should not be a problem to run it on elsinore saturday if I am registering it in kingman on tues?

Ion
07-25-2004, 08:11 AM
If any of you decide to change your registration over to AZ numbers, I'd be happy to do the lettering for you. All airbrushed enamel. Check my website for numerous examples of my work. http://www.burdesign.com

Mr.Havasu
07-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Looks good ION,
Welcome to the boards.:cool:

Doug H.
07-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Don at "burdesign" did my boat last week or so and did a bitchen job, i moved from Cali to Az.