PDA

View Full Version : What wakeboard to buy 11 yr old girl.

bohica
07-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Need to pick up a wakeboard for my 11 yr. old daughter. She'll be a newbie at it, but is very athletic and picks up things fast. What should I buy her and what size?:D

summerlove
07-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by bohica
Need to pick up a wakeboard for my 11 yr. old daughter. She'll be a newbie at it, but is very athletic and picks up things fast. What should I buy her and what size?:D
I have twin girls and when I bought their board they were 11 as well. They get up quick and most likely a mid range board should be ok. Pass on sports authority/big 5 and the like and go to a water sports store. Bring her n and get her fitted for the board, bindings, etc. We got a CWB that is not a beginner board but one that will last for a few years. The bindings are expensive as you need to change when the feet get too big.
You'll also need a wakboard tow rope - the ski ropes have too much stretch in them, and the wb ropes are tight, and expensive.
It's cool to watch them improve - mine are now catching air and have also moved on to a wake skate (a wake board with no bindings). Good luck, it'll set you back about 3 bills for the board, bindings and tow line.

Powerquestboy
07-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
I have twin girls and when I bought their board they were 11 as well. They get up quick and most likely a mid range board should be ok. Pass on sports authority/big 5 and the like and go to a water sports store. Bring her n and get her fitted for the board, bindings, etc. We got a CWB that is not a beginner board but one that will last for a few years. The bindings are expensive as you need to change when the feet get too big.
You'll also need a wakboard tow rope - the ski ropes have too much stretch in them, and the wb ropes are tight, and expensive.
It's cool to watch them improve - mine are now catching air and have also moved on to a wake skate (a wake board with no bindings). Good luck, it'll set you back about 3 bills for the board, bindings and tow line.
Thats good advise! Get them something they can grow into. A good non strech rope helps a ton, its expensive to get into at first but if you buy good stuff you will have it forever. Dont be scared to get them a decent size board that they can grow into. You might have to get small bindings and change those when they get older. Try ebay.

chub
07-23-2004, 10:45 AM
bohica, are you going this weekend or what? I know you don't be a cheap a## on this and get the good stuff for once. :D Will you be sportin the new ride for my birthday shindig the 14th? Can't wait for a ride.

simple
07-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Two important facts you need to know:
1/ Length of board
2/ Weight of board
Connelly (CWB) makes a perfect size wakeboard for kids. it is 123 CM long & very light. The good thing about it is it has great boots that are EZ on & off. We bought for our kids (9 & 12) & it works great. We paid $165 on sale.

bohica
07-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Any particular makes and models I should be looking for?

summerlove
07-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Any particular makes and models I should be looking for?
try CWB. they are of a higher quality than the chain store variety. Like I said before, take her to the store with you and have the professionals help you select the boards that is right for her...

lucky
07-23-2004, 01:28 PM
any one she wants :)

bohica
07-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Any good referrals to a good ski/wakeboard shop around the Diamond Bar/North Orange County area?:D

summerlove
07-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Any good referrals to a good ski/wakeboard shop around the Diamond Bar/North Orange County area?:D
water ski world in santa ana (714) 667-0331
Water Ski World (http://www.waterskiworld.org/index.html)

bohica
07-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Perfect, Thanks a bunch.:D

summerlove
07-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Perfect, Thanks a bunch.:D
let us know what you end up with. Besides the CWB, also look into Liquid Force...

RiverForUs
07-23-2004, 02:09 PM
J P Watersports off the 57 fwy. at Yorba Linda Blvd. Ask for John.
Or, WakeSports Unlimited in Orange on Katella between the 57 and 55 fwys. I think it's on the NorthEast corner of Katella and Glassell.

bear down
07-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Duane,
We purchased our Wake Board 2 years ago from Sports Chalet In Glendora, there is one in Chino Hill off of Peyton Dr. They were pretty much in line with everyone else in $$ and had a great selection. I picked up a Hyperlite board that was a competition board a year earlier for $349. I came with a Video,rope and boots as well (nice ones at that).

iparky
07-23-2004, 02:34 PM
John at JP Sports is the man, he wont bulls#@* you and sell you a board that is crap. Make sure she goes with you, he has videos in the store to help instruct first time riders and pullers(the driver) speed is the crucial element for the driver:D

crazyeric
08-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
how do you start out on a wakeskate?

Coach
08-03-2004, 07:09 AM
I got all of our stuff from Wake Sports Unlimited in Orange off of Katella near the Pond. It is in the same shopping center as Marie Calendars.
The guy who use to mangage the store was awesome, but is not there any more.

Coach
08-03-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by RiverForUs
J P Watersports off the 57 fwy. at Yorba Linda Blvd. Ask for John.
Or, WakeSports Unlimited in Orange on Katella between the 57 and 55 fwys. I think it's on the NorthEast corner of Katella and Glassell.
I have not been there but from what I have heard they are great.

Coach
08-03-2004, 07:13 AM
I found this web site a few years back and have had friends order boards from them. They have great prices and have many good deals. I have talked with the guy and he is very knowledgeable and friendly.
Grizzly-Sports (http://www.grizzly-sports.com/)

summerlove
08-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by crazyeric
how do you start out on a wakeskate?
they get up on it just like a wakeboard, but it's harder. If you are pretty good at getting up on a wake board I don't think the wake skate will prove too difficult. Good luck.
This is the one my girls ride....go to www.liquidforce.com and click on wakeboards and then wake skate.
http://www.liquidforce.com/images/skate_melissa_bot.jpg