PDA

View Full Version : Photo-Enforced Intersections

EliminatorJet
07-24-2004, 08:20 PM
I got a ticket for one of these the other day. Plain as day - pic of my truck in the intersection and the light is red above me. :mad: Anyone ever got a ticket like this before?

Dr. Eagle
07-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Nope... not yet anyway...
I think its unAmerican...:rolleyes:

Outnumbered
07-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by EliminatorJet
I got a ticket for one of these the other day. Plain as day - pic of my truck in the intersection and the light is red above me. :mad: Anyone ever got a ticket like this before?
Post it:cool:

dego red
07-24-2004, 08:50 PM
No, hav'nt had one either. But we do have the damn things here too. I think they cost $144.00. red

Dr. Eagle
07-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by dego red
No, hav'nt had one either. But we do have the damn things here too. I think they cost $144.00. red
I believe in California the fine is $270 and I seem to remember that they were planning to raise that to balance the budget...:mad:

Wakker
07-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Don't run red lights:rolleyes:

NorCal Gameshow
07-24-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Wakker
:D :D :D 'specially if that hottie next to you isn't your wife;) :D

XtrmWakeborder
07-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Well yah thats just common sense, but id rather have a cop there to pull me over so i could tell him what happened..."last week i ran a red light because my accelerator pedal got stuck..thank god the intersection was empty" instead of having to go to court which will probably be harder to convice him of the truth

EliminatorJet
07-25-2004, 12:33 AM
it was one of those situations where I either brake hard as hell and end up stopped a few feet into the intersection, or I continue following the car in front of me, and I am through the intersection before anyone reacts to their light changing. I still ran the light, but I probably wouldn't have been pulled over if there was an officer there. BTW that ticket is $351 :eek!:

JustMVG
07-25-2004, 12:35 AM
There was a story on these camera lights, and that the local agency has the right to set the timer on the system to whatever they want it to be , at a certain intersection in Beverly Hills, they have the system "delayed" it will go and take the picture but only after the light has been red for more than second or two, and then you should get a ticket any way, but other cities or agencies are setting the timer to go off as soon as the yellow goes out and the red comes on, there's a bit of time in there that i think is being unfairly used, it's a very small bit of time but if you see the yellow, and you know the camera's are there you might as well stop, you get rear ended i guess you could sue for being too safe.
Sucks but thats how some of the towns and cities make the budget deficit's up.
Mike VG

EliminatorJet
07-25-2004, 12:52 AM
here's what I got in the mail
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~agentx85239/redlight.jpg
- Forgot the cameras were there until I went through, then pounded steering wheel whole way home :mad:

Outnumbered
07-25-2004, 12:58 AM
here's what I got in the mail
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~agentx85239/redlight.jpg
- Forgot the cameras were there until I went through, then pounded steering wheel whole way home :mad:
That sux. I wonder if they would have got you if you had no front plate? What about those polarized clear LP covers?
OL

Wakker
07-25-2004, 01:01 AM
Come on, not to be a prick, but it says you crossed the line nearly 2 seconds AFTER the red... seems to me like you might have been day dreaming or something to not see the yellow and stop, or your like me and get greedy and just blow through it. Either way, that stuff is why I have no front plate on my truck, I would rather get a fix-it than a red light violation...

EliminatorJet
07-25-2004, 01:05 AM
Probably not paying attention. The bottom caption on the license plate pic is cut off but it says "Front or rear of vehicle, with license plate" so i'm guessing they have the ability to capture either one.

Wakker
07-25-2004, 01:09 AM
Probably not paying attention. The bottom caption on the license plate pic is cut off but it says "Front or rear of vehicle, with license plate" so i'm guessing they have the ability to capture either one. I think if they could pull your rear plate I would have had a few tickets by now:D I think its bullshit that they can use a damn machine to cite you, I want to know if I got a ticket for something WHEN it happens, not 2 weeks later...

Boozer
07-25-2004, 01:15 AM
2 seconds? You guys make it sound like 2 seconds is an hour and a half.
Those cameras are bullsh*t. Colorado did photo radar. They set up vans on the side of the highway. You speed you get an $80 ticket in the mail. But $351!!! That's a crock of shit! I'm sorry but that amount of money is totally unjust. $351 for me or most of the people on this board big f*ckin deal. But then I have to think about someone like my cousin who has a wife 2 kids and makes 45K a year. They are paycheck to paycheck tot he point that every penny counts, if he got nailed with something like that it would totally devastate his budget. That would be $351 worth of groceries and diapers he could not provide to his kids. I agree that the photo lights make sense because ultimately they will prevent accidents but it sounds to me like they arent using them to prevent accidents they are using them to generate revenue a LOT of revenue. So that is so unjust it sickens me. Fine somebody $80 for running the light not $351

Boozer
07-25-2004, 01:20 AM
I think im going to go get one of those tickets now just so i can send a photo back to their return adress with a picture of my own a big ass bird and we're not talkin about the birds that can fly.

JustMVG
07-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Too bad you can't have a front plate that read Cams Suk and then be wearing a gorilla head and just run red lights while giving them the bird that won't fly, and have a rear plate witt the polarized cover that is supposed to be photo proof, just a weird thought at 2 30 am

HighRoller
07-25-2004, 01:39 AM
I'm sorry Boozer, but that's ridiculous. It is your cousin's responsibility to follow the posted speed. If he doesn't, he gets what's coming to him. If he doesn't care enough about his family to drive responsibly, that's not the government's fault. It sounds like he could benefit from the increased fuel mileage, reduced wear, and lower insurance rates that slower driving will bring.
I love seeing dumbasses get popped for speeding! They all act like "victims"...What the hell is so hard to figure out about obeying the speed limit(within reason)? Cruise control 5-7 mph over and forget about it! It's worked pretty good for me, and I think I'm qualified as an "expert" in this arena.....

Boozer
07-25-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by HighRoller
I'm sorry Boozer, but that's ridiculous. It is your cousin's responsibility to follow the posted speed. If he doesn't, he gets what's coming to him. If he doesn't care enough about his family to drive responsibly, that's not the government's fault. It sounds like he could benefit from the increased fuel mileage, reduced wear, and lower insurance rates that slower driving will bring.
I love seeing dumbasses get popped for speeding! They all act like "victims"...What the hell is so hard to figure out about obeying the speed limit(within reason)? Cruise control 5-7 mph over and forget about it! It's worked pretty good for me, and I think I'm qualified as an "expert" in this arena.....
I'm not talking about speeing. I'm talking about the red light cams i only used the speeding photo radar as an example.
You sound like Corporate America High Roller. You are obviously a very educated person and you pose some VERY VERY strong arguments, arguments I will often not try to rebuttle because I know that no matter how logical my argument is you will stomp it. This time I'm going to rebuttle.
Due to your "corporate America stand you leave no room for error for the common man. You probably have an intilect that is somewhere in the ballpark of maybe 2% of most people. People get in rushes or whatever people do things for reasons we wont understand as we do things for reason other people wont understand. Maybe you being the "perfect" citizen doesn't make the mistakes that most common men make. Maybe you being the "perfect" citizen allows you to afford a $351 traffic ticket with no sweat.
The REST of America isnt you. The common man isn't you because you are NOT the common man. You are well aware of this. You are well aware of the fact that your intelect supercedes that of most people and that is why you use your intelect to smash people in debates. However, your intelect doesn't change the fact that 98% of America isnt you and can't live up to your standards. You being the patriotic American who stands by his country as a full fledged conservative should also be standing by your people. YOUR people need someone who has the intilect that you have to deffend them against unjust things like a $351 ticket for being half way out of an intersection 2 seconds after the light turned red.
Instead you waste it. You waste it deffending BS laws that work against the common man. BS laws that make it almost illegal to breathe.
No matter how much money we have or how smart we are we should still look out for common man. I'm not talking about welfare crack ***** moms who use the system to collect food stamps get section 8 housing and make more babies so they get bigger checks either. That isnt common man that is trash. Common man is your neighbor who busts his ass 65 hours a week so he can put food on the table for his family he never sees them because he works so much but he does what he has to do to BARELY make ends meet.
You dont see the common mans perspective because you arent him. Maybe you once were but you lost site of him. Most people on this board have lost site of common man. As much as we have on our boats and the luxuries we can afford MOST can not. Thats a fact. We cant lose site of those people. When we do lose site of them we lose site of everything. Common man is what 98% of the economy is. He works his ass off for peanut shells compared to what we are use to making. Would you do his job?

Wakker
07-25-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Boozer
I'm not talking about speeing. I'm talking about the red light cams i only used the speeding photo radar as an example.
You sound like Corporate America High Roller. You are obviously a very educated person and you pose some VERY VERY strong arguments, arguments I will often not try to rebuttle because I know that no matter how logical my argument is you will stomp it. This time I'm going to rebuttle.
Due to your "corporate America stand you leave no room for error for the common man. You probably have an intilect that is somewhere in the ballpark of maybe 2% of most people. People get in rushes or whatever people do things for reasons we wont understand as we do things for reason other people wont understand. Maybe you being the "perfect" citizen doesn't make the mistakes that most common men make. Maybe you being the "perfect" citizen allows you to afford a $351 traffic ticket with no sweat.
The REST of America isnt you. The common man isn't you because you are NOT the common man. You are well aware of this. You are well aware of the fact that your intelect supercedes that of most people and that is why you use your intelect to smash people in debates. However, your intelect doesn't change the fact that 98% of America isnt you and can't live up to your standards. You being the patriotic American who stands by his country as a full fledged conservative should also be standing by your people. YOUR people need someone who has the intilect that you have to deffend them against unjust things like a $351 ticket for being half way out of an intersection 2 seconds after the light turned red.
Instead you waste it. You waste it deffending BS laws that work against the common man. BS laws that make it almost illegal to breathe.
No matter how much money we have or how smart we are we should still look out for common man. I'm not talking about welfare crack ***** moms who use the system to collect food stamps get section 8 housing and make more babies so they get bigger checks either. That isnt common man that is trash. Common man is your neighbor who busts his ass 65 hours a week so he can put food on the table for his family he never sees them because he works so much but he does what he has to do to BARELY make ends meet.
You dont see the common mans perspective because you arent him. Maybe you once were but you lost site of him. Most people on this board have lost site of common man. As much as we have on our boats and the luxuries we can afford MOST can not. Thats a fact. We cant lose site of those people. When we do lose site of them we lose site of everything. Common man is what 98% of the economy is. He works his ass off for peanut shells compared to what we are use to making. Would you do his job? ... And walks uphill 12 miles both ways, in the freezing winter heat with no shoes...

HighRoller
07-25-2004, 02:46 AM
Oh Boozer....you are so mistaken about me. You think I'm some kind of corporte CEO or something? Well, let me tell you bout me. I work an average of 12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week as a truck driver. I take home about 2000-2500 a month for my 60-70 hours a week. Before that, I was an independant owner operator(just like your dad) trying to compete against the 3000 truck fleets out there. I grossed 100-150K a year and was lucky if I took home half of it. In exchange for that money I had to work 300 days or more a year at an average of 15-18 hours a day. 60 hour weeks? Boo-F&%king Hoo... I worked 100+ hours a week for almost five years, sometimes working up to 7 or 8 weeks in a row without a day off. So I'll ask you politely not to lecture me about the common man's work ethic until you've walked in my shoes.
Since when does avoiding a speeding ticket require you to be "perfect"? It doesn't. All it requires is a little common sense and some discipline. I'm no brain surgeon, Boozer. Yet somehow I managed to drive almost 700,000 miles in 48 different states without ever being cited for speeding. Does that mean I'm perfect? No, it just means I was careful and paid attention to what I was doing. I have no immense intellectual or financial advantage the over other humans you referenced.
I can no more afford a 351 dollar ticket than your brother. That's precisely why I do everything in my power to AVOID getting that ticket!!!! Don't get me wrong, I have the same urge to drive fast as the next guy. I get impatient as much as other people. But I also know that in our current climate, insurance companies will seize any opportunity to jack up your rates 20%. Additionally, every time YOU get a speeding ticket, others absorb the cost in higher rates.
Speeding is a choice, Boozer. I choose not to subject myself to the risk of high insurance and a bad driving record. That doesn't make me BETTER than you, just different. Having a good record is a priority for me because I make my living with my license and therefore I have a lot more to lose than your cousin. No amount of rhetoric will make me feel guilty for my good record either. I plan on going my whole life without a speeding ticket because to me it's not worth it. You can choose to speed if you wish, I don't care either way. But don't whine when you get a ticket like the man is picking on you. If you can't afford a big ticket, just slow down......what's so hard about that?

Boozer
07-25-2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by HighRoller
Oh Boozer....you are so mistaken about me. You think I'm some kind of corporte CEO or something? Well, let me tell you bout me. I work an average of 12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week as a truck driver. I take home about 2000-2500 a month for my 60-70 hours a week. Before that, I was an independant owner operator(just like your dad) trying to compete against the 3000 truck fleets out there. I grossed 100-150K a year and was lucky if I took home half of it. In exchange for that money I had to work 300 days or more a year at an average of 15-18 hours a day. 60 hour weeks? Boo-F&%king Hoo... I worked 100+ hours a week for almost five years, sometimes working up to 7 or 8 weeks in a row without a day off. So I'll ask you politely not to lecture me about the common man's work ethic until you've walked in my shoes.
Since when does avoiding a speeding ticket require you to be "perfect"? It doesn't. All it requires is a little common sense and some discipline. I'm no brain surgeon, Boozer. Yet somehow I managed to drive almost 700,000 miles in 48 different states without ever being cited for speeding. Does that mean I'm perfect? No, it just means I was careful and paid attention to what I was doing. I have no immense intellectual or financial advantage the over other humans you referenced.
I can no more afford a 351 dollar ticket than your brother. That's precisely why I do everything in my power to AVOID getting that ticket!!!! Don't get me wrong, I have the same urge to drive fast as the next guy. I get impatient as much as other people. But I also know that in our current climate, insurance companies will seize any opportunity to jack up your rates 20%. Additionally, every time YOU get a speeding ticket, others absorb the cost in higher rates.
Speeding is a choice, Boozer. I choose not to subject myself to the risk of high insurance and a bad driving record. That doesn't make me BETTER than you, just different. Having a good record is a priority for me because I make my living with my license and therefore I have a lot more to lose than your cousin. No amount of rhetoric will make me feel guilty for my good record either. I plan on going my whole life without a speeding ticket because to me it's not worth it. You can choose to speed if you wish, I don't care either way. But don't whine when you get a ticket like the man is picking on you. If you can't afford a big ticket, just slow down......what's so hard about that?
I commend you. You work harder then most for a lot less then most yet you still stand beside the system that has no regardst for you or people like you. That takes a lot of pride and I commend that.

HighRoller
07-25-2004, 03:12 AM
Well, don't get carried away....I don't agree with a lot of the rules on the road....but I know that if I don't follow them I'll still pay the price. Like the man said, civil disobedience is still disobedience:D

clownpuncher
07-25-2004, 04:30 AM
Sorry about your ticket e-jet. That does suck big time.
I gotta say one thing to all the experts in the house..................
All y'all gotta get off the "the cops give tickets for revenue" bandwagon. That's just plain ignant. The traffic laws are written and enforced for overall public/traffic safety and to reduce loss of property and life. Period.
Don't believe me? Go for a ride-along with your favorite police officer or fire company for a while. You'll see first hand what happens when traffic rules are violated. The revenue generated by traffic fines is a drop in the bucket to the general fund of most agencies. It ain't about the $$$$$, trust me on that one.

Rexone
07-25-2004, 04:38 AM
I hear ya CP. But many won't. It's all about the man keepin em down. It's all fine when they need a cop or a fireman but as soon as a law is enforced (that was designed for everyone's safety) oh holyshit now here come the victims of unfair and overbearing government. The dollars collected from traffic fines don't even begin to cover costs of police or fire protection even at $400 a pop.
I did alot of thinkin about this last year when the upland fire almost torched my house. We had about 50 trucks on our 2 block stretch, 3 in my driveway with about a dozen or so firefighters in my backyard sprayin shit down with foam. The cost of that effort (that goes on constantly) is just huge. Police and fire everywhere. So when I get dinged for a $400 ticket (if I ever do) I probably won't bitch and moan about it too much because I've personally seen the upside right up close and personal. Our whole block would have been toast without those guys in there.
Same thing on the 4th of July. It pisses me off to no end to see people shootin off crap in areas that it's prohibited due to fire danger. Happens all the time though.
sorry got a little off target here... :o

clownpuncher
07-25-2004, 04:41 AM
I once read an email about a guy who got a "photo" ticket. The photo he recieved in the mail showed him running a red light and an had an attached form requesting 40 dollars as a fine. The guy decided to turn the tables and promptly took a photo of 2 twenty dollar bills and sent it to the Police Station. A week later he recieved a reply in the mail from the police station. It was a photo of a pair of handcuffs. He then paid the 40 dollars.
DOH!!!

Rexone
07-25-2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
I once read an email about a guy who got a "photo" ticket. The photo he recieved in the mail showed him running a red light and an had an attached form requesting 40 dollars as a fine. The guy decided to turn the tables and promptly took a photo of 2 twenty dollar bills and sent it to the Police Station. A week later he recieved a reply in the mail from the police station. It was a photo of a pair of handcuffs. He then paid the 40 dollars.
DOH!!!
:D :D

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2004, 05:26 AM
... And walks uphill 12 miles both ways, in the freezing winter heat with no shoes...
LMAO. :D

HammerDown
07-25-2004, 05:46 AM
In the photo it clearly shows you smiling having a good time(doing something)...it also shows only one hand on the wheel:D

MagicMtnDan
07-25-2004, 06:13 AM
Count out two seconds...one-thousand-and-one...one-thousand-and-two...
That's how long after the light turned red that you went through it.
Sorry to say this to you but I have no sympathy. Ever seen anyone run a red light and hit another car or someone crossing in the sidewalk? It happens all the time.
Do any of you drive in towns that don't have separate traffic lights for left turns? In Burbank they've been putting new lights in but fockers are running red lights all day long and it makes for some harrowing driving through intersections.
I'm not a fan of red light cameras at all but I like folks who run red lights a whole lot less.

Rexone
07-25-2004, 06:18 AM
A red light runner killed by grandfather many years ago so I have little sympathy either. Green = keep goin. Yellow = better stop. Red = you're gonna kill someone one day

EliminatorJet
07-25-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by HammerDown
In the photo it clearly shows you smiling having a good time(doing something)...it also shows only one hand on the wheel:D
One hand - that would be because of the manual trans.
smiling - probably before i realized a ran the red

EliminatorJet
07-25-2004, 07:18 AM
A red light runner killed by grandfather many years ago so I have little sympathy either. Green = keep goin. Yellow = better stop. Red = you're gonna kill someone one day
This is not something I make a habit of doing. I screwed up and i'm gonna pay, and if anything I am second guessing now on how long a light is going to stay green for.

Bob Hostetter
07-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Just some trivia on red light camera's in California............
The systems are rarely owned by the city or the police dept. They are owned and maintained by a private company. When photos are taken the photo is sent via the internet to the private company who reviews them. Based on contractual limitations between the company and the city, if they meet the requirements for issuing a ticket, a ticket is then sent to the offending vehicle, not the driver. A copy of the photos are sent to the enforcement agency for additional review.
If you recieve one you can ask the police agency for a review and they will show you the photo stream and discuss the matter with you and possibly cancel the ticket.
If you don't pay the ticket nothing happens. The California Vehicle Code requires you to be cit'ed by a sworn police officer who witnessed the violation. A private citizen or company can not write enforceable traffic tickets, not even on private property, only sworn, POST certified, law enforcement officer can issue tickets. Nonsworn personnel employed by a police agency can only write parking tickets, or enforce Muni Codes. Certain types of CVC's can also be written by nonsworn employees but they are limited to non judgement violations such as "no proof of insurance, CVC 16028 at an accident scene, but they must also be countersigned by a sworn officer after the nonsworn employee swears they verified/witnessed the violation.
Photo enforcement is designed to promote safe driving AND generate cash flow.
The money from the fee does not go to the police agency. The company owning the lights/camera gets a cut, the rest goes to the general fund of the city/county you got the ticket in.

Rexone
07-25-2004, 07:23 AM
I didn't mean that as a bag on you, just a general statement on running reds. I second guess the greens too and it seems some of the yellows are set extremely short these days to trap you almost so you either run it (the short yellow that gets pink) or launch everything in your car onto the floor trying to stop. There should be a better standard of the length of time required for yellows.

Rexone
07-25-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Bob Hostetter
If you don't pay the ticket nothing happens. The California Vehicle Code requires you to be cit'ed by a sworn police officer who witnessed the violation.
So are you saying no warrant can be issued and it cannot go on your record if unpaid like a regular ticket can?

EliminatorJet
07-25-2004, 07:51 AM
On the lower portion of the ticket that I mailed in, there was a section that said something like "This photo information was reviewed by a sworn police officer (insert officer name here)" Also, the truck is in my dads name, so the ticket went to him. There's a form included that will transfer the ticket over to whoever the driver of the vehicle was. Great way to screw with your friends :D I mailed that in a couple weeks ago, and still haven't heard anything yet, maybe they got lazy over there :confused:

coolchange
07-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Ya well I don't dig the big brother shit but until you've been broadsided by one of the " I'm to ****ing important and my time and and life is more imortant than yours or your kids" assholes, then you don't have an opinion. If the lights not green then ****ing STOP. If they'd let me I'd sit at intersections and take the pics myself.

ROZ
07-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by coolchange
Ya well I don't dig the big brother shit but until you've been broadsided by one of the " I'm to ****ing important and my time and and life is more imortant than yours or your kids" assholes, then you don't have an opinion. If the lights not green then ****ing STOP.
Agreed ! Besides, when you're paying attention to the road and what your doing, you can pretty much tell when a stagnet green light may turn yellow... be prepared
BTW, Those of yo who live or commute in the city of Vista, Ca., Watch out. Almost every intersection has a photo camera.

boatnam2
07-25-2004, 09:05 AM
well it tells me you werent paying to much attention to what you were doing the few camera intersections that i have been through i seen a mile away.why would you even think about going thru on a red ,because you didnt see the 10 new poles and 10 cameras then you surley were not paying attention.play the game dont let the game play you.