PDA

View Full Version : Back from Powell...

ahhell
07-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Got back from Powell friday, Had to leave Deb and Matt there to have fun without us. Water was DOWN and dropped daily, occaisonal water hazard and monsoon (i've never been bruised by rain before!) here are some pix
Matt, pissing behind the boat:eek:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1518109_0929-med.jpg
our freind Steve exploring a 10ft wide canyon
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1518109_0935-med.jpg
water level down a bit!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1518109_0904-med.jpg
sunrise out the motorhome window
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1518sunrise.jpg
sunset on the rock
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1518108_0877-med.jpg
cant wait for next year, maybe more water too!!!

dmontzsta
07-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Very nice pics, I want to go there bad, that is a great looking lake.

RiverOtter
07-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Very cool pics. I have got to get out there before it drys up :D

fat rat
07-25-2004, 12:01 PM
I was out there a couple of years ago, the place is awsome......wish I had more time on the water.
Are they draining the lake or what?

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by fat rat
Are they draining the lake or what?
Well in a way yes. Because of the drought, the lake is being pulled. When ever the drought cycle breaks the lake will get re-filled (barring any interferance from enviro-wackos).

fat rat
07-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
Well in a way yes. Because of the drought, the lake is being pulled. When ever the drought cycle breaks the lake will get re-filled (barring any interferance from enviro-wackos).
I've heard they want to do away with it, because of structual issues with the dam.

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2004, 12:25 PM
I've heard they want to do away with it, because of structual issues with the dam.
Don't believe everything you hear. :D
There are several enviro-weenies that want to drain the lake for no better reason than it's been a bug up there ass since it was built.
There has been several threads on it here recently.

Floatin'
07-25-2004, 03:27 PM
How was the weather ? Did you get much rain ? What were the nights like, hot ?

Dr. Eagle
07-25-2004, 04:03 PM
Just like they want to do away with logging in the Northwest by using the spotted owl as an excuse. The enviro-whackos worked hard to keep the dam from being built in the first place, so now any excuse is good enough for them.

Some Kind Of Monster
07-25-2004, 04:28 PM
The Lake Powell tailwater below the dam is some of the best trout fishing on earth. There would be a very big problem with the fishermen and the rec users of lake powell, not to mention the electricity that the dam creates. I've heard that thwy want to take it down due to the native fish that live there. They should have thought of that before the dam was built. The area below lake powell (glen canyon) is now full of silt and will never look like it did before the lake was built. Give it up sierra club. It aint gonna happen.

RiverOtter
07-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
WE HAD 4 BOATS IN HERE;)
That is Too Cool.

gramps
07-25-2004, 05:14 PM
is that a spare prop and first aid kit in front of the motor home in the first pic????????

Dr. Eagle
07-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Cool stuff T&B... I wanna go there too!~:D

dmontzsta
07-25-2004, 06:02 PM
How choppy does the lake get?
also, how crowded on the weekends?

mmered8299
07-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Where did you camp at with auto access? And where did you find that cave?

Big_Gunz_
07-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Looks like a great time. Looking to do a week or so up there soon. Is it better to camp on the shore or rent a houseboat?

fat rat
07-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by dmontzsta
How choppy does the lake get?
also, how crowded on the weekends?
I had a rental from the lodge.............so I didn"t care, but it got pretty rough in area's.

FMluvswater
07-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Great pics. :) I particularly like the scenery shots of the sunset and the sunrise. :cool:

gramps
07-25-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Big_Gunz_
Looks like a great time. Looking to do a week or so up there soon. Is it better to camp on the shore or rent a houseboat?
if there is ANYWAY you can,,,,,, do the houseboat...........and go at least 70 miles up the lake.............it's a whole different world once you get a few miles past Danglin' Rope!!!!!!

LASERRAY
07-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Great pics T&B. Thanks for sharing!:)

Big_Gunz_
07-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by gramps
if there is ANYWAY you can,,,,,, do the houseboat...........and go at least 70 miles up the lake.............it's a whole different world once you get a few miles past Danglin' Rope!!!!!!
Thanks for the info. I have two other families that wish to go, so we'll leaning toward the houseboat. We just have to figure out how the get of our boats up river with the houseboat.

gramps
07-25-2004, 07:25 PM
it's very easy to tow with the houseboat..................we usally put two boats behind the houseboat!

Dr. Eagle
07-25-2004, 07:26 PM
it's very easy to tow with the houseboat..................we usally put two boats behind the houseboat!
I have had as many as 5 boats staggered behind a houseboat. Turning was interesting...:D

phebus
07-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
Great pics. :) I particularly like the scenery shots of the sunset and the sunrise. :cool:
Here's one from our trip:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1753Powell__04_085-med.jpg

Big_Gunz_
07-25-2004, 07:48 PM
How far apart do you put them?

Dr. Eagle
07-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Big_Gunz_
How far apart do you put them?
As I remember we put two off each side of the houseboat... and one in the middle behind the others. We hooked the rear boat to the boat in front of it. You had to be careful making even a minor turn, and when it came to crank a turn into a cove we hopped in the boats and pulled away. But it was quite effective in getting the fleet around.

Big_Gunz_
07-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
As I remember we put two off each side of the houseboat... and one in the middle behind the others. We hooked the rear boat to the boat in front of it. You had to be careful making even a minor turn, and when it came to crank a turn into a cove we hopped in the boats and pulled away. But it was quite effective in getting the fleet around.
Thanks Dr Eagle.
We were thinking of towing one boat with the houseboat, driving another one and towing the last boat with it. But I think we'll just tow all three with the houseboat, kind of in the same way you did. I'll remember to hop into the boats before making any sharp turns.

RiverKitty
07-25-2004, 08:08 PM
This pic reminds me of the last time we went to Powell. We pulled the houseboat over so we could hop on the innertubes to cool down from the summer heat. We parked the houseboat on the opposite side of the canyon wall when all of the sudden the entire canyon wall broke loose and fell into the water. :eek: It was an incredible site to see! About 5 minutes later we had waves that were 5 foot swells and I must say, we had one hell of a innertube ride! I wish I would have had my camera handy, it was quite a site. All I kept thinking after it happened was man, I'm sure glad we weren't parked by the canyon wall....it would have been our last trip....ever!

FMluvswater
07-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by phebus
Here's one from our trip:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1753Powell__04_085-med.jpg
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that! :cool:

FMluvswater
07-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by RiverKitty
This pic reminds me of the last time we went to Powell. We pulled the houseboat over so we could hop on the innertubes to cool down from the summer heat. We parked the houseboat on the opposite side of the canyon wall when all of the sudden the entire canyon wall broke loose and fell into the water. :eek: It was an incredible site to see! About 5 minutes later we had waves that were 5 foot swells and I must say, we had one hell of a innertube ride! I wish I would have had my camera handy, it was quite a site. All I kept thinking after it happened was man, I'm sure glad we weren't parked by the canyon wall....it would have been our last trip....ever!
I'm glad you weren't too! :eek: I also wish you'd had your camera .. I know you would have captured the perfect shots. :)

ahhell
07-25-2004, 10:25 PM
they told us 3" a day,sorry we missed you we got their at dark on thur,and it was killer ,we got some pics i'll post on mon .AND I DIDN'T EVEN BREAK MY LIVER THIS TIME,ALMOST:D
Yeah, we had to leave early, my oldest son was in a firemans (explorer)muster on saturday, he's been training a year for it, couldnt miss
as for the camping, lone rock beach is awsome if you dont mind dry camping, next year maybe a house boat ?!?!?

dmontzsta
07-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Is this place small boat friendly?

HighRoller
07-25-2004, 10:53 PM
Towing the boats is not a problem, just tie one on the left side with 50' of rope and one on the right with 100' and that leaves you room if you have a SeaDoo to tow it between them on a short lead. Aside from turning, there is another important thing to remember: When you stop in the houseboat, do it slowly. If you just stop suddenly, the boats being towed will end up all over the place and maybe even collide with the houseboat. We usually slow down to a crawl, just enough to keep the towed boats away from us, and a person swims to each boat to disconnect the line and drive it. IMO this is better than "reeling in" the boats because you have no chance of your boat slapping against the houseboat. Plus it's a nice swim:D
I agree with going at least 70-100 miles up lake, the traffic thins considerably and you can take advantage of many wonderful coves and narrow channels. At least that's how it was..who knows now.

gramps
07-26-2004, 05:27 AM
I have trid many different distances and cannot come up with anything that makes any difference. I would keep the boats that are beint towed staggered by at least 25 - 30 feet. That way when you stop they are easier to catch one at a time. An automatic bilge pump is also a nice thing to have when yo are towing...............
Ahhell..............houseboat next year...............I wanna go!!!!! I'll drive & cook.

Big_Gunz_
07-26-2004, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the info highroller and gramps. I'll keep all this in mind when we plan our trip.

Dr. Eagle
07-26-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that! :cool:
Beauty, Eh?;)

Sleek-Jet
07-26-2004, 06:17 AM
San Juan arm. :D
...or better yet, go above Halls about 20 miles (or at least above Hanson Creek), you'll have the whole place to yourself.

Sleek-Jet
07-26-2004, 06:21 AM
If you stay out of the main channel, yes. Watch our for afternoon T-strms, especially this time of year. By noon or 1:00 pm you need to either be off the water, or have found yourself a nice sheltered cross canyon. Usually by about an hour before dark you can go enjoy the glass again.

gramps
07-26-2004, 07:40 AM
I have gone from Wahweap to (what is now dry) Piaute Farms, about 120 miles in a 18' Bass boat. No problem as long as you keep your eyes open and watch the weather and tour boat wakes. As far as the weather, carry enough "stuff" with you so that if you have to beach the boat you might have to spend the night.............

Big_Gunz_
07-26-2004, 07:44 AM
I have gone from Wahweap to (what is now dry) Piaute Farms, about 120 miles in a 18' Bass boat. No problem as long as you keep your eyes open and watch the weather and tour boat wakes. As far as the weather, carry enough "stuff" with you so that if you have to beach the boat you might have to spend the night.............
Is there a certain time of the year that you don't have to watch the weather? Or does the lake have it's own climate and weather, you just never can tell.

gramps
07-26-2004, 07:54 AM
I've done it in Feburary, March, April and September. The early spring is known for bad weather but I've had very good and VERY BAD (snow & wind). Mid summer can still produce some bad afternoon storms. You just need to be ready and try not to get caught in the narrows when everyone is going through there.

Reaper1
07-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Good info. guys. We're going August 15th on a houseboat and we will have 3 other boats. A 26' Cat, a 28' cat and another fishing/wakeboarding boat. I'm a little worried about this towing thing. What exactly are you guys saying when you put a boat on each side. wouldn't they just come together in the back? Any suggestions. I don't want my baby to get thrashed.

Sleek-Jet
07-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Reaper1
Good info. guys. We're going August 15th on a houseboat and we will have 3 other boats. A 26' Cat, a 28' cat and another fishing/wakeboarding boat. I'm a little worried about this towing thing. What exactly are you guys saying when you put a boat on each side. wouldn't they just come together in the back? Any suggestions. I don't want my baby to get thrashed.
Tie off to the mooring cleats on either side of the houseboat. Put the drives up on the boats and they should track straight behind where they are tied off. Staggering is a good idea (like has been mentioned).
Don't try towing right out of the marina, go up lake a ways and get away from all the activity, then tie the boats off and enjoy the cruise. Or better yet, let someone else drive the HB and go play on the lake with the boats. :D

ahhell
07-26-2004, 03:26 PM
JUST MAKE SURE TO GET OUT BEFORE THE DAILY 2-4P.M. MONSOON, we watched a 3 story houseboat get tossed sideways in the channel last wednesday, this thing also had multiple "in-tows" luckily it didnt hit anything

Dr. Eagle
07-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
Put the drives up on the boats and they should track straight behind where they are tied off. Staggering is a good idea (like has been mentioned).
Interestingly enough, I found it was far better to put the drives down and centered (straight) otherwise the boats would start to fishtail. Maybe that was just my experience:confused:

Sleek-Jet
07-26-2004, 03:47 PM
Hmmm... everyone I've ever been with puts 'em up??
Of coarse we always go uplake from Halls, the water is smoother so we might not have the same need for directional stability. And we're usually towing smaller boats also (18-20') that might make a difference as well.

DogHouse
07-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Interestingly enough, I found it was far better to put the drives down and centered (straight) otherwise the boats would start to fishtail. Maybe that was just my experience:confused:
Nah, it was just the booze!
:D

ahhell
07-26-2004, 04:04 PM
i'm sorry we missed you guys .thats the frist time we ever camped at L/R it is bitchen ,kind of a little zoo at night;) :D
Did the guys to the right of you ever turn off that gawddamm generator...they were two hours off, we yelled at them one nite to turn it off and they yelled back its only 9 oclock, then we yelled back that its eleven oclock.....musta been from Oklahoma or something...:rolleyes: j/k you OK guys, im guessing hawaii:D

Scream
07-26-2004, 05:20 PM
some one moved in between us and them (mormens in 2 big 5th wheels) and sang songs around the camp fire all night:( and they had 5 gens:( they had a special fire ring and everything ,i would have got a pic but i was f**kedddd up:D ;)
Bob, the cowboys kept it cool after the first altercation over gen noise, but the Mormon family (extremely prolific mormon family I might add) had a collection of gens behind thier encampment that took on airs of the branch dividians survivalist montra...whew, I need a drink... Again when they shut off thier power substation we erupted in applause and a few loud farts just for good measure.
Mark, great to camp with you and D for the last 1/2 of the week, too bad Bob missed your brand of dutch oven cookery, it was awsome. Hope we can do it again soon.
We just got back and will be postin up a storm to get caught up.
Gramps is right (what's that all about?) that the farther North you go, the better the lake gets, but no matter where you go on Powell you will not be disapointed, even now with the lower water level.
Scream <---- Gettin back into the rat race.

uclahater
07-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Scream
Bob, the cowboys kept it cool after the first altercation over gen noise, but the Mormon family (extremely prolific mormon family I might add) had a collection of gens behind thier encampment that took on airs of the branch dividians survivalist montra...whew, I need a drink... Again when they shut off thier power substation we erupted in applause and a few loud farts just for good measure.
Mark, great to camp with you and D for the last 1/2 of the week, too bad Bob missed your brand of dutch oven cookery, it was awsome. Hope we can do it again soon.
We just got back and will be postin up a storm to get caught up.
Gramps is right (what's that all about?) that the farther North you go, the better the lake gets, but no matter where you go on Powell you will not be disapointed, even now with the lower water level.
Scream <---- Gettin back into the rat race.
Damn Mormons:D Scream I saw your boat on my way back from St George and I have to say that your boat is off the hook:D :cool:

fat rat
07-26-2004, 05:46 PM
I have gone from Wahweap to (what is now dry)
So that huge ramp near the lodge is no longer usable?

DEEZ NUTTS
07-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Crap. I put up pics on the west side before I looked here.
Here is some for good measure.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830103_0396_Small_-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/830103_0394_Small_-med.JPG

Scream
07-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by uclahater
Damn Mormons:D Scream I saw your boat on my way back from St George and I have to say that your boat is off the hook:D :cool:
Thanks, We tried to go with a motif that would blend in with the environment...LOL
Apparantly there aren't that many boats with a flaming screaming skull on the side...who knew
:D :D :D
Sorry bout the Mormon bashing, but they were very obvious. I don't think what they were doing would have been considered "partying" IMHO. One of the best shows was the Patriarch wearing a hat (not stylish), button up shirt (not stylish), shorts (coulda been in another decade), LLLOOOONNNNGGGGG Black knee socks (What's up with that) and dress shoes. And yes, he was gettin boosom deep in the lake with this garb on... TOOO funny.
Then the sing along was hillarious. I'm pretty happy I couldn't hear what they were singing.

Scream
07-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Good to meet you and your wife, mom, and all your friends on the beach. Thanks for showing us the upper hinter lands on the lake this weekend. We've got to do it again.
Scream.

DEEZ NUTTS
07-26-2004, 06:12 PM
I hope that you guys that hit Powell this last weekend didnt get that floating oily/tar substance on your boat at Wahweap ramp. I think it may be seeping up from the old ashphalt(sp?) ramp that is now shallow and getting hit with the turbulance from props. This is the second time I have run through it and it f-ed up my trailer and boat bad. I have only tried simple green and it didnt work very well. I think WD40 might cut it off. Will try it next time I see my boat.

gramps
07-26-2004, 06:32 PM
So that huge ramp near the lodge is no longer usable?
sorry bout that..............I meant that Piaute is dry.......thats's at the other end of the lake

DEEZ NUTTS
07-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Titties, we are going to try to make the Aug trip. 27-29th full moon also.

gramps
07-26-2004, 06:45 PM
what canyon is that................how far up the lake?

gramps
07-26-2004, 06:49 PM
here is a pic of it from WAY UP HIGH..............
http://elakepowell.com/freds/sanjuan.htm

gramps
07-26-2004, 07:11 PM
SOON

Dr. Eagle
07-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by DogHouse
Nah, it was just the booze!
:D
That's true, I almost has a corona-ary... arr arr!