PDA

View Full Version : lavey craft oweners

plaster dave
07-26-2004, 01:30 PM
my buddies has a 20.8 skier that rides like shit sorry but it does. is their anything that he can do so it want dig the nose all the time??? thank you

RiverOtter
07-26-2004, 01:35 PM
This one will probably get me banned but I just can't resist.
(Sigh)
Tell him to trade it in on a Chaparral :D

CARGUY
07-26-2004, 01:37 PM
My buddy also had a 98 20.8 Sebring and it is a hard riding bottom. I spent several rough days at Havasu on that boat and it was not fun. He played with trim, speed, driving habits, and the only thing that worked was trading it on a 25 foot cat.
No dis-respect to Lavey as I have one of their 26's and it is an awesome well laid out boat, but that Sebring is only good in certain conditions. But when the water is right it is a rush to ride in.

phebus
07-26-2004, 01:38 PM
I haven't heard that complaint mentioned on the Lavey before. Is he trimming it correctly, and loading it with the boat balanced? It may be a rough riding boat, but it shouldn't want to bury the bow.

plaster dave
07-26-2004, 01:44 PM
well i've tried to tell him how it should be trimmed and he says it is, but i just thought some lavey huys might know something about changing the ride plate pos.????

plaster dave
07-26-2004, 01:47 PM
carguy thank you that is the truth :D well he might not have a choice do to his wife was riding in my 26 howard cat so they might trade it in who knows lol

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by plaster dave
carguy thank you that is the truth :D well he might not have a choice do to his wife was riding in my 26 howard cat so they might trade it in who knows lol
Send him over Dave.Ill have it fully buffed and detailed.I even have a number for good insurance rates now.If he buys it Ill give ya a kick back,dont tell though.:D

plaster dave
07-26-2004, 01:55 PM
lol i will see if hes ready for it. but make sure shes clean this time lol j/k o ya i hit 100 finally this weekend in parker :D :D :D

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 01:57 PM
lol i will see if hes ready for it. but make sure shes clean this time lol j/k o ya i hit 100 finally this weekend in parker :D :D :D
Sweeeeet..Ill have it fully dialed in if he wants her.You find me a buyer and Ill kick ya some cash!

dmontzsta
07-26-2004, 03:45 PM
He needs to get it dialed in, exactly how is it riding like shit?

TOBTEK
07-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by CARGUY
My buddy also had a 98 20.8 Sebring and it is a hard riding bottom. I spent several rough days at Havasu on that boat and it was not fun. He played with trim, speed, driving habits, and the only thing that worked was trading it on a 25 foot cat.
No dis-respect to Lavey as I have one of their 26's and it is an awesome well laid out boat, but that Sebring is only good in certain conditions. But when the water is right it is a rush to ride in.
My brother currently has a 20.8 sebring/open bow with a 300pm on the back, and my last boat was their little 18.10 sebring with a 2.5 all I can say is good about the boats...period. NOW, with that said YOU said something about HAVASU on rough days several times....yes, your gona get beat up in a 20 ft boat. I thought we were going to die last month in our 22ft DCB on a rough water day without any wind. POINT BLANK, that lavey is a great boat, but not ment for big Havasu water. Like I learned, you need atleast a 26 for havasu.

plaster dave
07-26-2004, 04:56 PM
ok tobtex but at local lakes or at parker is where we were this last weekend so now what???
but i agree with u about havasu with a 26 boat size

dmontzsta
07-26-2004, 04:58 PM
He doesnt know what rough is until he drives a flatty all day (if he hasnt already). :D

TOBTEK
07-26-2004, 05:04 PM
ok tobtex but at local lakes or at parker is where we were this last weekend so now what???
but i agree with u about havasu with a 26 boat size
parker is also some gnarley rough water! Just the water MBROWN displaces would sink me:) have you guys played with the trim-tabs on the back? I did with the 18.10 and it made a world of difference. IF the tabs are to far down forcing the nose down it will ride "HEAVY" or rough. Get a straightedge and run it along the bottom out under the tabs, See where the tabs are set. You maybe set up all wrong.......MAYBE

Jordy
07-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Sweeeeet..Ill have it fully dialed in if he wants her.You find me a buyer and Ill kick ya some cash!
You selling it again? :D :D :D

plaster dave
07-26-2004, 05:20 PM
look i have driven flat bottom but this is a tunnel it should ride better.

plaster dave
07-26-2004, 05:23 PM
tobtex i will tell him to check that i just told him to get adjustable one but thanks for the tip :D

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 05:53 PM
look i have driven flat bottom but this is a tunnel it should ride better.
More trim and more throttle is his only choice.Or sell it,thats the way it goes.Tunnel boats ride on top of water not through it.Theres not much he can do dave.

Jrocket
07-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
You selling it again? :D :D :D
Always for sale.:D

RiverToysJas
07-26-2004, 10:59 PM
The Sebring ModVP is totally different than all other boats in the Lavey line-up. Although it looks just like a Stoker in many ways, I've been told by many that the bottom is different than the Stoker. I have heard only great things about the Stoker, and mixed reviews on the Sebring. Even though, I feel your problem most likely lies in set-up and expectations - both being a little off.
I believe that is the least sold model in the current Lavey line-up (or at least it was a couple of years ago, and I don't think much has changed). There's always at least a few at the Regatta, and I will seek out the opinions of some owners this year to get a better feel for what the real story is with this hull. If possible, I'll try to bum a little ride too.... ;) :D
BTW, my 21' XTSki runs AWESOME in most conditions and is the only boat my wife has ever "loved"!
RTJas :D

WILD LAVEY
07-27-2004, 12:33 AM
my father inlaw use to own one. that boat likes trim and like jrocket said more throttle. once the boat got on top of the water it rode pretty smooth, but this boat is not made for rough water at all.

Mr.Havasu
07-27-2004, 07:43 AM
The 20.8 sebring is the worst boat I have ever had PERIOD! The thing ran like shiit in water that appeared to be smooth. I speared a wave once going about 20 mph and almost decapitated myself.
Something is diffenently wrong with that bottom. The boat was beautiful and the gel and rigging was perfect. I don't want to bad mouth Lavey, they build a top notch boat, But something is deadly wrong with that hull. I heard they discontinued it, but I don't know for sure. If they havent, they should it's dangerous.

Huckleberry
07-27-2004, 08:32 AM
As has already been said, the 20.8 is a tunnel. The only way to smooth it out is throttle up and get on top of the water. That being said, it is still only a 20-foot boat, and will not do well in the rough stuff...period! Warlock 25 is right, Lavey discontinued this hull many years ago. Perhaps they too knew something!?!????

dmontzsta
07-27-2004, 08:36 AM
They should have kept making flatties. :D

RiverToysJas
07-27-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Huckleberry
Warlock 25 is right, Lavey discontinued this hull many years ago. Perhaps they too knew something!?!????
When I bought my 21 less than two years ago, they said they had the molds and would build one if someone wanted it. I don't know how many, if any are still sold though.
It's also still listed on the their website (http://www.laveycraft.com/the_boats/20.8sebring/frames-page.htm) .
RTJas :D