PDA

View Full Version : Can We Get a Little Privacy Please

Floatin'
07-27-2004, 09:25 PM
My neighbor just finished a 2nd story room addition and also added a balcony deck off of their upstairs master bedroom, now they look directly down into my backyard and my hot tub. We have absolutly zero privacy in our backyard now. We like to hang out in the backyard and BBQ and relax in the hottub at night without feeling like we are being watched all the time.
Anyone have any suggestions on privacy shrubs or someway to give us some privacy?

plaster dave
07-27-2004, 09:28 PM
turn off your backyard lights. lol :D

MagicMtnDan
07-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Put up a couple of tall poles and tie a big white sheet to it. Get out a projector and hook it up to your DVD player and play movies on the sheet. Depending on your mood and how badly you want to piss them off will determine what movie you watch and listen to (make sure you bring out your big speakers hooked up to the amp). A few showings of some heavy metal concerts or Terminator or Matrix movies ought to not only keep their doors and windows closed it'll give you and your guests something to watch and listen to while partying!

summerlove
07-27-2004, 09:33 PM
termites!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-27-2004, 09:35 PM
You poor city people. My nearest neighbor is about 500 yards away on one side and 2000 yards away on the other. Lucky me. :D We can have sex in our front yard and no one would be able to tell (except us LOL).

ratso
07-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Floatin'
My neighbor just finished a 2nd story room addition and also added a balcony deck off of their upstairs master bedroom, now they look directly down into my backyard and my hot tub. We have absolutly zero privacy in our backyard now. We like to hang out in the backyard and BBQ and relax in the hottub at night without feeling like we are being watched all the time.
Anyone have any suggestions on privacy shrubs or someway to give us some privacy?
Do you have a hot wife?
If so just take it as a compliment.:D
I do like the spotlight idea though...

EliminatorJet
07-27-2004, 10:07 PM
My parents bought a 10x10' canopy for that exact reason. Good for keeping the sun from beating on the cover too.
Something similar to this:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000VJAGY.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

LASERRAY
07-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Patio cover, shade canopy, um, uh, you could invite Earnest Borgnine over for some hot tubbing.:)

PlyaPlya22
07-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Patio cover, shade canopy, um, uh, you could invite Earnest Borgnine over for some hot tubbing.:)

Tyson Ross
07-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Extend wall to 20'?:eek: :mad:

Kilrtoy
07-27-2004, 10:30 PM
We like to hang out in the backyard and BBQ and relax in the hottub at night without feeling like we are being watched all the time.
Are you doing the nasty back there

THATJEFFGUY
07-28-2004, 12:07 AM
I can make a canopy to fit around your hot tub...with mesh sides even !

ahhell
07-28-2004, 05:21 AM
invite this guy over for a little skinny dip...they may poke their own eyes out:D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/25Morninguy.JPG

Wally_Gator
07-28-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by ahhell
invite this guy over for a little skinny dip...they may poke their own eyes out:D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/25Morninguy.JPG
Now that is just plain wrong...

RiverOtter
07-28-2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by ShockwaveBob
Get one of those spotlights and shine it directly into their eyes. ;)
Nice
:D

HCS
07-28-2004, 05:42 AM
My neighbors added a room on their house that has bedroom
windows that face right into my back yard.
When I piss in my back yard I make sure I'm facing their windows.
Now they put up blinds and keep them closed.

Mandelon
07-28-2004, 06:05 AM
The canopy idea is probably the quickest and easiest. You could also have a more permanent one built out of wood.
Another thing we have done for people who want more privacy is to set two or three 4x4s in the ground, and attach redwood lattice to them. Then grow plants on the lattice work. "Jasmine" works well, thick foliage and a nice smell from the flowers.
Its fairly affordable and if you use presssure treated posts, it can last a long time. We usually use 10 foot posts, set in a 2 foot deep hole.
Since its not a fence the code doesn't apply to it, but I dont' know if you have any neighborhood restrictions. You might want to check first.

welk2party
07-28-2004, 06:19 AM
How about planting trees that hinder the view.

Seadog
07-28-2004, 06:48 AM
Install torche' style lights around certain areas and they cannot see past the glare, but it will not affect your vision. Combine with some strategic screening, it will give you the feel of being open without them being able to see.

nodigg
07-28-2004, 09:20 AM
We have a similar situation. We are covered now by four pvc pots with 6' trelleses covered in vines. We get a nice back drop and have not blocked out our view of the lake one bit. (The neighbors lake view is a bit impeded now), but no more worries about being watched in the hot tub!:D

PHX ATC
07-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Burn their house down.
Okay, not really, but I like the canopy idea. That's what I would've done.

dirty old man
07-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Can't we all just get along?
Really, whats up with you and your neighbor?

BarryMac
07-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Let em watch, then maybe they'll let you watch, then you'll have one big swingers party...:D :D :D
gjb

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-28-2004, 09:56 AM
:eek: :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by dirty old man
Can't we all just get along?
Really, whats up with you and your neighbor?
How much longer are people going to keep quoting that idiot? He's not worthy to go down in history with a quote.
Sorry, off topic--just my rant:p

totenhosen
07-28-2004, 10:20 AM
Didn't you get a notice from the City to approve their plans of building a second story. I know in PAsadena they have a hearing to discuss approval of the building permit etc.

Liberator TJ1984
07-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Mrs. Sportin' Wood
You poor city people. My nearest neighbor is about 500 yards away on one side and 2000 yards away on the other. Lucky me. :D We can have sex in our front yard and no one would be able to tell (except us LOL).
I have the same problem as you:rolleyes:
I can go outside and piss at cars going by and have no worries , even run outside in my undie's....girlfriend says they look just like baggy shorts from the road:D
a cover sounds the best or build som type of Gazeebo around it with lots of trees and plants :confused:

victorfb
07-28-2004, 10:39 AM
have your wife go talk to the wife of the nieghbor, informing her that her husband is watching your wife in the hot tub while she is away. (girl talk). the husband will deny it of course, but im betting the wife will pay for a screen, gazeebo, ANYTHING to keep her husband from watching again.:D
i may not know much, but ive learned a little on how women think and react to these issues. :p