PDA

View Full Version : Marine Polish...3M vs Meguiar's

HammerDown
07-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Anyone tryed 3M Marine Finesse-it Polish?
I've been using Meguiars Boat + RV, just wondering if the 3-M might work/hold out better.
Thanks for any feedback.

Dr. Eagle
07-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Personally I like the 3-M stuff better. I have used Meguiars for years, but the 3-M cleaner wax, color restorer and finese it seem to work much better IMO.

HCS
07-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by HammerDown
Anyone tryed 3M Marine Finesse-it Polish?
I've been using Meguiars Boat + RV, just wondering if the 3-M might work/hold out better.
Thanks for any feedback.
Never tried the 3M.
I Use the marine Meguiars. Then during the summer
between waxing I'll use Zymol.
It's good shit. It's a super wax that's easy to use.

Dr. Eagle
07-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Hardcore, you ought to give the 3-M stuff a try. I used Meguiars for a long time, but this stuff seems to really clean and protect better. Just my $.02;)

gramps
07-28-2004, 10:41 AM
I just my boat with Meguiars oxidizer remover #49 then their boat polish #45 and finished it with their "clear coat" wax. This is the first time I've had to do all three, my boat is 10 years old. Now it looks damm near new again. I used a buffer/polisher for the first two steps, that made a HUGE difference.

HammerDown
07-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Agreed the 3 steep is awsome when needed, and I've done that.
Just wondering about the 3M Finesse-it Polish.
2 step keeps my 1983 Daytona looking fresh.
I've also been using the 3M Marine Paste Wax along with the Meguiars RV/Marine Polish...Think I'll give the 3M a spin.;)

K9Blitz
07-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Spend the $8 for a bottle of NuFinish. Rated #1 by consumer reports for it's shine and most of all durability. You want a wax to last through the wipe downs regardless if your using vinegar/water mix or a spray wax.
Super easy to apply. Sun or shade, no problem. Save a buck or two.

Dr. Eagle
07-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by K9Blitz
Spend the $8 for a bottle of NuFinish. Rated #1 by consumer reports for it's shine and most of all durability. You want a wax to last through the wipe downs regardless if your using vinegar/water mix or a spray wax.
Super easy to apply. Sun or shade, no problem. Save a buck or two.
Ive used that stuff off an on for years... I do like it, it is a good polish for topping off all the rubbing polishing and swirl removing...

HammerDown
07-28-2004, 11:57 AM
I've used that years ago, but if I recall it didn't do very well on the black Gel colors on the boat.
Regular polish richen up the colors more and gave a deeper black, maybe more oil's in the polish that my gel coat needs.

rivercrazy
07-28-2004, 12:40 PM
I've used 3M Finesse it III and IMO, its the polish I've used to date. Say goodbye to swirlmarks, small scratches, etc. And it buffs to a high mirror shine. Use a good quality buffer or orbital and you won't be disapointed.
But do small areas at a time. If you let it dry too long, its hard to remove

KACHINA KEN
07-28-2004, 04:50 PM
where can you find it, west marine?

HammerDown
07-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by KACHINA KEN
Don't know if you have a Boaters World out west but their price was 5 smakers less than West Marine...for the same size 3M Polish that is :cool:

Dr. Eagle
07-28-2004, 07:12 PM
Believe it or not, I found it at Wal Mart in Westminister...

HammerDown
07-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Not so lucky at mine...different WalMarts carry different products.

KACHINA KEN
07-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Ill brave a trip there for my boat, the wal mart around my place is a zoo.

Dr. Eagle
07-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Ill brave a trip there for my boat, the wal mart around my place is a zoo.
Westminister is too... billions and billions of people!

phebus
07-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Westminister is too... billions and billions of people!
True, but you can see right over the top of most of them. :D

KACHINA KEN
07-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by phebus
Snicker...Snicker...Snicker...

Dr. Eagle
07-28-2004, 09:09 PM
I wasn't gonna say that....... BUT I WAS THINKING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod-64
07-28-2004, 11:13 PM
You guys wax your boats???????
Mine is protected by Budweiser spray.............good protection and no swirl marks..........just a golden tint!:p

LOWRIVER2
07-29-2004, 12:07 AM
Or try Meguiar's #9 swirl remover with buffer or orbital depending on condition, then wax with Meguiar's #20 polymer teflon. Nothing beats it for durability. Only the new hammerhead stuff Warlock 25 is selling matches it.

HammerDown
07-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Just tryed 3M Marine Finesse-it 2 Polish on areas of my black gel coat. To my surprise it did NOT work as well as the Meguiar's #45 boat/RV polish.
What I mean by this is, Polish vs Polish the Meguiar's product pulled out a deeper more wet look color vs the 3M leaving a haze in the black. (this is just the polish side by side).
When a coat of 3M Marine Ultra Performance Paste wax was used over top...they both looked pretty good but the edge(ever so slight) still went to the side with Meguiar's polish underneath.
Interesting...I wonder even though the 3M poilih didn't work as well if the 3M polish and 3M Paste wax would hold out/last longer in color fade resistance vs the Meguiar's and 3M Paste Wax?
Regardless (as of this time) I've never used anything better than the 3M Marine Ultra Paste Wax for a top coat.

Mandelon
07-31-2004, 11:58 AM
Oh shit, who is the rascist now....? :D :D

moneypit
07-31-2004, 12:28 PM
I stongly suggest that you try Tobtek's new wipe down spray.... It doesnt take the wax off. I just got some the other day...

gramps
07-31-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by moneypit
I stongly suggest that you try Tobtek's new wipe down spray.... It doesnt take the wax off. I just got some the other day...
where do you get it?????????? please!!!!!!!!!!

ahhell
07-31-2004, 01:15 PM
stevey, where did you get the maguire #45 and #49 my black gel is a dull grey......kinda like my brain
:rolleyes:

TheEduKATor
07-31-2004, 05:22 PM
West Marine has a three pack of McGuires cleaner, polish and a pure wax for $25. I detailed the boat out and it worked pretty good and got rid of some minor scratches and really brought some life back to the color of the boat

gramps
07-31-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ahhell
stevey, where did you get the maguire #45 and #49 my black gel is a dull grey......kinda like my brain
:rolleyes:
I got it at the auto body paint shop on Bluff Street...............right around the corner from the sadle shop.............next door to where the new spa place is...........a cpuple of doors down from the coffee place...........shit its just 27 miles from my driveway ............... you know where now?
p.s...........for a price I could get it for my "favorite" son-in law....
p.p.s.s.s.................notice I didn't make ANY mention about your "brain"!

GlastronGuy
07-31-2004, 06:53 PM
I use the 3M for cleaning and Meguiar's for polishing.

ahhell
07-31-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by gramps
I got it at the auto body paint shop on Bluff Street...............right around the corner from the sadle shop.............next door to where the new spa place is...........a cpuple of doors down from the coffee place...........shit its just 27 miles from my driveway ............... you know where now?
p.s...........for a price I could get it for my "favorite" son-in law....
p.p.s.s.s.................notice I didn't make ANY mention about your "brain"!
let me check around here first before i become MORE indebted to you.....we need to come over for a visit:rolleyes:

prop check
07-31-2004, 07:00 PM
I have always used mark 5 carnuba and teflon paint sealant it shines better than pledge and stays for a few trips they are in corona california.