PDA

View Full Version : Performance Tuner

izquik72
07-28-2004, 01:53 PM
Ok fellow boaters here is the question. Getting a great price on the Diablo Predator for a k2500 Duramax. This tuner has been on a vehicle before. How do i know it will also work fo my vehicle after it was taken off of another truck? On Diablo's website they say it can not be used on more than one vehicle. Can somebody shed some insight to this? I appreciate all help in advance

AngryJosh
07-28-2004, 02:04 PM
I think you answered your own question

Cheetin Brad
07-28-2004, 02:07 PM
The tuners program can't be in more than one truck at a time but once downloaded from one truck, it can be uploaded into another. You should make sure the tuner will work on your year or model. Sometimes the manufacturers wil make a change mid-year and some chips/tuners won't work.

Nubbs
07-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Not positive on this, but I think you can use the tuner on another vehicle if you put your factory program back in your pickup first. If you have already programmed your pickup, the tuner will expect to see that "program" you entered. If not, the tuner will not work. If you put the stock program back in your truck, the tuner will not care what program it sees next time you connect it.
I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Jordy
07-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on another tuner. They are more of a pain in the ass than they're worth. :rolleyes:

izquik72
07-28-2004, 03:26 PM
WEll guys thanks for the input but it is looking like the Tuner memorizes the VIN when it first flashes and you can not delete it without disassembly at the Factory. This is for the Predator anyhow.
I just want a Tuner that I can reset to Factory without voiding my warranty. i am thinking that the Edge with attitude is the tuner of choice. BUt won't the factory notice the little hole you drill in your exhaust?

Jordy
07-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by izquik72
BUt won't the factory notice the little hole you drill in your exhaust?
There isn't anything wrong with drilling a hole and mounting a pyro. Personally I think the factory should do it with the EGT's that these trucks are running today from the factory, bone stock. That would at least give you some idea of your EGT's before you burned it up.

gramps
07-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on another tuner. They are more of a pain in the ass than they're worth. :rolleyes:
yup what he said.................are you sure you really to "tune up" a duramax?????

izquik72
07-28-2004, 04:00 PM
WEll it is not like i really need it but com'on it is sure nice to have. Especially when a PS pulls up next to you and starts blowing smoke then. you flog the dmax and cruise on bye.
Thanks for that informative post AngryJosh. I just got done spending 5 years in the Marine Corps and it was people who were high up that had responses like yours is why I got out!

Jordy
07-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by gramps
yup what he said.................are you sure you really to "tune up" a duramax?????
Mine's tuned up, but I kicked the tuner to the curb because the shutting it down, flashing the chip, and then firing it up and having to change it everytime I was doing something different was a pain, plus I would get service engine light illumination on a pretty regular basis.
Went with the Edge/Attitude and haven't looked back (other than to see the Come-aparts and Powerchokes in my dust). :D

PHX ATC
07-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Check out the Edge products. I've theire products on both my diesels and love them. A couple of Chevy owners that I know have them and like them. A buddy that has a Ford has the entire Banks package and it keeps frying the computer chip that controls the entire unit. Banks said, "it's a hot weather issue."
Duh, we live in AZ.:rolleyes:

Cheetin Brad
07-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Check out West coast diesel 909-260-5205.

Rexone
07-28-2004, 09:15 PM
I don't know about Predator, but the Hypertech Power Programmers 3's only allow use on one vehicle at a time. You can only use it on a different vehicle if you first set the first vehicle back to stock using the tuner. I'm guessing all the manufacturers handle this in a similar manner. It's a security measure built into the product, otherwise no one would ever buy a tuner they'd just use their buddys. But you knew that. :D