PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit Question??????

FRANK THE TANK
07-29-2004, 05:00 PM
I have installed my amp in my boat and, thanks to you all, I was able to make the darn thing work. I'm running a sub and two 6x9's off my four channel amp (sub running off two channels and the 6x9's each running on a channel each). I have the 12V main power wire connected directly to the battery and the remote wire comes in from the head unit. Everything turns on and off as it should with the key.
Here are the problems:
1. I'm only getting 9.5 volts from the remote wire off the head unit.
2. The head unit cuts out when I turn the volume up high enough. Everything runs fine until the sub hits kind of hard and the whole thing shuts off. The head unit looks like it completely turns off, lights go off and everything, then everything comes back to life about 2-3 seconds later. WTF???????
Could problem number one be causing the issues? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Here's a pick for reference.....
Thanks!
Frankhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/920P6280005-med.JPG

riverbound
07-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Try wiring everything directly to the batts. instead of the key. this should hopefully solve your problem.

Havasu Hangin'
07-29-2004, 05:29 PM
What speakers are you running off your head unit?
Like riverbound said...be sure to run a beefy power wire to the Perko (fused), and a beefy ground to the batteries. Stock wiring is not beefy enough to support anything other than a bilge pump.

FRANK THE TANK
07-29-2004, 05:40 PM
I'll try running a fused wire directly to the batt for the remote wire too.
Thanks again!

Havasu Hangin'
07-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Grounds?

FRANK THE TANK
07-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Grounds?
Those too...... sorry I forgot.
:eek!:

Havasu Hangin'
07-29-2004, 06:39 PM
Did you put a voltmeter on the power post of the amp as the bass hits?
If the amp doesn't dip in voltage, then look toward the head unit, and do the same thing to the power wires.
If you get a dip in voltage, then try a jumper power and ground directly to the battery from the head unit. If that solves it, then the dash wiring is not up to par (off the key).
If that doesn't solve it, I'd look at the speakers wired off the head unit- if you have a blown speaker, grounded wire, or too low of ohm load to that little amp in the head unit, it could produce what you are describing.
If that doesn't work...punt.

1stepcloser
07-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Maybe make sure the battery is charged.....and in good condition.

ROZ
07-30-2004, 08:40 AM
Mabe he's accidentally pushing the power button instead of the volume up button :confused: :p ;) :D

FRANK THE TANK
07-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
Mabe he's accidentally pushing the power button instead of the volume up button :confused: :p ;) :D
Thanks Roz......... :D

FRANK THE TANK
07-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Did you put a voltmeter on the power post of the amp as the bass hits?
If the amp doesn't dip in voltage, then look toward the head unit, and do the same thing to the power wires.
If you get a dip in voltage, then try a jumper power and ground directly to the battery from the head unit. If that solves it, then the dash wiring is not up to par (off the key).
If that doesn't solve it, I'd look at the speakers wired off the head unit- if you have a blown speaker, grounded wire, or too low of ohm load to that little amp in the head unit, it could produce what you are describing.
If that doesn't work...punt.
I have not tried putting a volt meter on the power post. I guess that will tell the whole story.
Thanks HH....