PDA

View Full Version : Omega jet boats?

JOESHOW
05-10-2001, 02:09 PM
Hello. I am new to jet boating and was hoping someone could provide me with some information. Over the winter I purchased a 1979 Omega 21' open bow with a big block Chevy and a Jacuzzi w-series pump. I'm looking for any information and/or opinions on this set up. I will be using this boat for pleasure boating but would still like to get it to top out at an honest 60 mph (if that's possible.) I have ran the boat one time and it was clocked at 48 mph with a 396cid (.60 over)that was runnig rich and with a miss, also the place diverter was all of the way down. I do not remember the rpm. I am having a 454 built (450-475 hp) which I will be getting back in two weeks. With this engine and pump (which I was told is fresh and has a B impeller) do I even have shot at achieving my goal or should I just set my sights lower. The only advice that I have gotten is from a couple of guys in town that have told me not to bother putting money into anything that has a Jucuzzi pump. Any opinions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank You.

Jim
05-10-2001, 09:38 PM
with 475hp and b empeller place deverter 3/4 way up you should be close, one person in boat. Jim Brock

dcraig
05-11-2001, 08:36 AM
With the Jacuzzi, its hard to achieve the top end goals you have. You'd be better off with a mixed flow pump (i.e. Berkley, American Turbine, or Dominator). American Turbine sells a conversion kit for the Jacuzzi but its expensive. However, overall performance would be much better with this change.
The other factor is to make sure the bottom of your boat is strait without any hook

Eric
05-11-2001, 11:34 AM
The Jacuzzi wj IS a mixed flow pump. The yj/eagle is an axial flow.
With a little work the WJ can run.
Since you're running a place diverter one thing you should do is cut the nozzle off of the jacuzzi bowl. The place diverter has its own nozzle so unless you cut the original off of the bowl you are running two inline nozzles (not something a jet pump likes).
Eric
[This message has been edited by Eric (edited May 11, 2001).]