PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - Are they good cars...

RiverOtter
07-31-2004, 11:56 AM
I'm buying one for my mom and would like to know if they are dependable cars. Shes 70ish and only drives 5,000 miles / year or so. Does anybody have one? Are you happy with it?

dmontzsta
07-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Its a domestic car so reliability is a little shakey the fact that it is a chrysler is even scarier. Most things usually end up being cosmetic, things falling off. Convertible just adds to more that can go wrong or be ugly.

HCS
07-31-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by dmontzsta
Its a domestic car so reliability is a little shakey the fact that it is a chrysler is even scarier. Most things usually end up being cosmetic, things falling off. Convertible just adds to more that can go wrong or be ugly.
Being how I'm in the car business I would agree. Some people don't like to hear it. But buy Japanees. You can't go wrong with a Nissan or Toyota, I don't care for Honda. My Wife drives a Nissan and it has 295,000 miles on it and it runs perfect. After my Mother went through a Ford and a Dodge I finally convinced her to get a Nissan Altima. Now she drives a trouble free car.
There perfect girl cars. And there warranties are good too. They stand behind there products.
IMO.
Good luck!

RiverOtter
07-31-2004, 12:33 PM
I forgot to mention that she wants a convertible. Kinda narrows our options. I totally agree with the import thing. I drive one myself and have no complaints. My question is will thing hold together only putting 5,000 or so / year on it.

HCS
07-31-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by RiverOtter
I forgot to mention that she wants a convertible. Kinda narrows our options. I totally agree with the import thing. I drive one myself and have no complaints. My question is will thing hold together only putting 5,000 or so / year on it.
Putting that few miles on it, it should be fine. I think.
:rolleyes:
I really don't like covertibles. Iv'e seen way to many proplems with
them. But people like em so what do ya do. Water leaks, motor problems,
and I've seen some that tear. As long as it's under warranty you'll be fine.
But once you have to pay out of pocket to fix them it's$$$$$$$$$$$$.
We sell the convertible 350z. We have had to replace several tops
this year do to tearing. Lucky for the customers they were under
warranty. They cost $3000.00 to replace.:eek:
Hopefully if the manufactures have a problem like that they have
a fix.

Boozer
07-31-2004, 12:59 PM
The Sebring will be fine. I believe it was 98 and below model years that had some problems. The motor was not very powerful and the transmissions sucked. In 99 they put in a new motor and tranny. Now it has a bigger motor. So I say go for it. The price of the Sebring cant beat when you compare it against other convertibles.

dmontzsta
07-31-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Being how I'm in the car business I would agree. Some people don't like to hear it. But buy Japanees. You can't go wrong with a Nissan or Toyota, I don't care for Honda. My Wife drives a Nissan and it has 295,000 miles on it and it runs perfect. After my Mother went through a Ford and a Dodge I finally convinced her to get a Nissan Altima. Now she drives a trouble free car.
There perfect girl cars. And there warranties are good too. They stand behind there products.
IMO.
Good luck!
yup.
I have a 92 Nissan Maxima SE 5 Speed (190hp) version. It has 290k+ miles and still runs high 14 1/4 miles. I have another engine I am getting ready to put in and with that a turbo set up to follow.
Also, I have a 97 Nissan Maxima with 180k+ I cant complain.

HCS
07-31-2004, 02:15 PM
yup.
I have a 92 Nissan Maxima SE 5 Speed (190hp) version. It has 290k+ miles and still runs high 14 1/4 miles. I have another engine I am getting ready to put in and with that a turbo set up to follow.
Also, I have a 97 Nissan Maxima with 180k+ I cant complain.
If you need any factory parts let me know. I'll set ya up.

Mod VP
07-31-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm a service advisor at a Chrysler dealer.They're decent cars.Especially at her age and low miles per year.I'd tell her to get what "she" wants...:)

RiverOtter
07-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Mod VP
I'm a service advisor at a Chrysler dealer.They're decent cars.Especially at her age and low miles per year.I'd tell her to get what "she" wants...:)
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I'm about to pull the trigger on ebay. 00 model.

RiverOtter
07-31-2004, 05:02 PM
Putting that few miles on it, it should be fine. I think.
:rolleyes:
I really don't like covertibles. Iv'e seen way to many proplems with
them. But people like em so what do ya do. Water leaks, motor problems,
and I've seen some that tear. As long as it's under warranty you'll be fine.
But once you have to pay out of pocket to fix them it's$$$$$$$$$$$$.
We sell the convertible 350z. We have had to replace several tops
this year do to tearing. Lucky for the customers they were under
warranty. They cost $3000.00 to replace.:eek:
Hopefully if the manufactures have a problem like that they have
a fix.
I have a G35 Coupe 6 speed. My friend has the 350 Z Convertible. I love both. I had to buy the Gcoup because it has back sets. My friend bought the 04 350Z Conv and he hasn't mentioned any probs with the top. Thanks for your advise.

wsuwrhr
08-01-2004, 06:45 AM
EBay? A car on EBay? You got balls.
Go for the Sebring. Bitchen cars, decent power. If that is what your Mom wants, get it for her.
I love those cars.
As far as safety, I rolled one in AZ a few years ago and lived to tell about it. It was still running when everything stopped moving!!!:eek: :eek:
Brian

HCS
08-01-2004, 07:09 AM
I have a G35 Coupe 6 speed. My friend has the 350 Z Convertible. I love both. I had to buy the Gcoup because it has back sets. My friend bought the 04 350Z Conv and he hasn't mentioned any probs with the top. Thanks for your advise.
The G35 Coupe is one hot cookie.:cool:
Tell him to look for seams comming apart in the rear corners where
all the stress is. We've had quite a few of them.

erieboater
08-02-2004, 09:05 AM
I have a 2000 Limited Conv. with 92,000 miles on it and have had no problems besides the normal wear and tear. Also had a 96 Seibring hard top that was great with over 185,000 before I sold it. Don't think you will go wrong with it as long as you have it checked out.

RiverOtter
08-02-2004, 09:10 AM
The G35 Coupe is one hot cookie.:cool:
Tell him to look for seams comming apart in the rear corners where
all the stress is. We've had quite a few of them.
Your referring to the 350Z??

RiverOtter
08-02-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by erieboater
I have a 2000 Limited Conv. with 92,000 miles on it and have had no problems besides the normal wear and tear. Also had a 96 Seibring hard top that was great with over 185,000 before I sold it. Don't think you will go wrong with it as long as you have it checked out.
Very good to know as I said she'll only put 5,000 miles on it a year.

HCS
08-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Your referring to the 350Z??
Yep. G35 might be the same.

RiverOtter
08-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Yep. G35 might be the same.
You mean rear fenders welds??

HCS
08-02-2004, 09:39 AM
You mean rear fenders welds??
Had to check with the tech dept. to be sure.
Basically your just checking the seams any where around the back and the rear bow on the top. Inspect the seams and keep an eye on them.
The 2003 350z they replace the whole top. The 2004 350z they replace the material only.
I don't know why the difference between 2003 and 2004.
They must have made an upgrade in 2004.

RiverOtter
08-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Had to check with the tech dept. to be sure.
Basically your just checking the seams any where around the back and the rear bow on the top. Inspect the seams and keep
an eye on them.
The 2003 350z they replace the whole top. The 2004 350z they replace the material only.
I don't know why the difference between 2003 and 2004.
They must have made an upgrade in 2004.
Thanks for the info. Glad I bought the G coupe now.

KACHINA KEN
08-02-2004, 09:42 AM
WHATEVAH, Chrysler , fine good stuff, I have all kinds of MOPAR shit, it's ths maintenance that determines the longevity of your ride, not the make. Unless you are talking about Yugo's or something, yeah they're shit;)