PDA

View Full Version : Windsor Beach fatal accident

cola
07-31-2004, 10:32 PM
Windsor south side launch ramp closed sat. night. We had to use the north side. Didn't find out any info on what happended.
GOD SPEED

Sweet Addiction
07-31-2004, 10:38 PM
Hope all is well. Don't want anyone on the water getting hurt.

PlyaPlya22
08-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Did anyone find out what happened?

essexjet
08-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Went to launch on Saturday night. The south ramp was closed. Got out of the truck to see and saw a boat (unkown what kind) and the dock in the middle of the launch ramp. Saw the cops pick a body out of the boat and put it in a body bag on the docks and then put the body bag into a law enforcment boat.

Kilrtoy
08-01-2004, 06:32 PM
This is starting to become a weekly thing out there.
PEOPLE WAKE UP AND BE CAREFUL

H20Advantage
08-01-2004, 08:35 PM
California man dies in boat collision
By Gary Weiand
Sunday, August 1, 2004 10:01 PM MDT
Alcohol was a factor in a violent boat crash that killed a 32-year-old California man on Lake Havasu Saturday evening, law enforcement authorities said Sunday.
Lance Furman of Norco died in the 9 p.m. collision that critically injured his wife, Wendy, 33, and 11-year-old son, Nicolas. Two other children, Ashley, 9, and Bryce, 15 months, were unhurt, according to Sgt. Tim Smith, a spokesman for the San Bernardino, Calif., Sheriff's Department.
The operator of the vessel that collided with Furman's 21-foot Skimaster boat, William Wayne Anno, 35, of Downey, Calif., was charged with manslaughter involving a vehicle and boating under the influence with injury. He is being held on $500,000 bond at the San Bernardino County jail, Smith said.
The sheriff's office said investigation indicated that alcohol was a factor in the collision.
A preliminary investigation indicates that Anno's 21-foot Crusader boat was southbound at about 30 mph north of Havasu Landing Marina when it struck the Furman vessel, which was eastbound at an unknown speed. In conflicting statements, witnesses told rescuers from the Lake Havasu City Fire Department that Furman's boat may have lost power, and may have been sitting in the water with no navigation lights, according to a city media release.
Sgt. Smith said that Anno's boat struck Furman's in the left front, went over its top, killed the driver, and then exited diagonally at the right rear. Anno's boat sank after the collision, the city media release said.
Anno, who was not hurt in the accident, stated that he didn't have time to avoid the collision, Smith said.
A woman passenger in Anno's vessel received minor injuries and was treated at Havasu Regional Medical Center, the city media release said.
The other four victims also were treated at Havasu Regional, the city release stated. Wendy and Nicolas Furman were later air evacuated to University Medical Center in Las Vegas.
Passengers on a boat that was accompanying Anno came to the assistance of the victims on both vessels, according to fire Battalion Chief Dennis Mueller.
Wendy Furman was reported Sunday in serious condition at UMC, while Nicolas was in critical condition at the same hospital.
Smith said that Anno, who also was found to have an outstanding warrant for his arrest for driving on a suspended license, will probably be arraigned today or Tuesday in Needles, Calif.
The collision is still under investigation by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Boating Accident Investigation Team, the Mohave County Sheriff's Office and the Lake Havasu City Police Department. Rescue crews included two LHCFD fire engines, a fireboat and three ambulances from River Medical.

jbtrailerjim
08-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Wow that sucks.:( Everyone please be careful out there.

roln 20s
08-01-2004, 08:53 PM
This is horrible. I hate to hear stuff like this. I wish the survivors the best and a speedy recovery. My heart sinks with stories like this. Lets all be super careful.
Roln 20s

mbrown2
08-01-2004, 09:06 PM
That really sucks...we were out there yesterday and I actually thought the traffic was kind of lite....just sad to hear of another family broken apart due to doing something they enjoy as a family...

Coach
08-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Lance Furman of Norco died in the 9 p.m. collision that critically injured his wife, Wendy, 33, and 11-year-old son, Nicolas. Two other children, Ashley, 9, and Bryce, 15 months, were unhurt, according to Sgt. Tim Smith, a spokesman for the San Bernardino, Calif., Sheriff's Department.
This is my worst fear on the water. 3 kids now without a father and possibly without parents. :( This just makes me sick. Oh what a surprise this asshole had a warrant out. ****ing scum bags need to be shot.:mad:

KACHINA KEN
08-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Even though I am tending to believe the loss of power thing in the 21' only because of the time of accident and where it happened that Anno gentleman is soooo ****ed now, hope everyone make it through OK, 11 year and a 15 month old on board too this sucks:(

bigkatboat
08-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Wakeless speeds 30 minutes after sunset. That law refers to, GOING SLOWLY when the sun goes down. You are at fault, if you are going faster that "wakeless speeds" 30 minutes after sunset. If you have a "total electrical failure" make one person your 'look-out', and try to make some kind of light (any color). Even a mirror will reflect light back to an on coming boat.

Kilrtoy
08-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Why do people continue to get wasted and drive.
Jesus christ, get a person who is sober or stay sober yourself:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

locogringo
08-02-2004, 12:15 AM
this is really really sad. In the report I read conflicting statements. It started off saying that Lance had died but at the end said that his wife and he were air evacted out later.
Anyone know for sure? I'm hoping for the family's sake that he makes it!

LUVNLIFE
08-02-2004, 02:20 AM
It was the mother and a son that were airlifted not the father.

Seadog
08-02-2004, 05:18 AM
We had a all too frequent tragedy happen on Grand Lake last week. Two guys (60 & 61) left a local lounge, in the town near the dam, in a 23' Fountain and ran into a 28' Trojan in the dark. The Trojan made it into the marina, but the Fountain sank instantley. They found one of the guys hangin on to a fender and some debris in the dam wall. The other guy probably got sucked through the gates or generators.

GreatWhite007
08-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Hey Gang,
This sport of ours (boating) is gonna go bye-bye at this rate, killing a person every couple weeks ain't gonna cut it.
Lets be honest, the public has a dim view of 'sport boaters' already, and this adds fuel to the fire.
I never see a boat pull into the marina for food or water, it is always a group of dehydrated, sunburned young people buying beer!
Ok, I know I am stereotyping to a degree, but if you are honest, it is not that much of a stretch.
BE CAREFUL, but mostly BE RESPONSIBLE and we can all have fun!
Great White

MagicMtnDan
08-02-2004, 05:54 AM
What a tragedy! An entire family devastated while boating because of a POS operating a boat under the influence. You're right, it's not surprising that this low-life had an outstanding warrant out for his arrest. It's a shame that he wasn't behind bars instead of out boating while intoxicated changing the lives of an entire family forever. :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

HavasuDreamin'
08-02-2004, 06:14 AM
Our sport/hobby is going to cease to exist if this sh*t doesn't stop.
God speed.

BADAXE
08-02-2004, 07:29 AM
I don't get how people think it's safe to go fast at night. And by fast I mean anything fast enough to be on plane.
Just in case I want to, or get stuck having to, boat at night I always have a big spot light that works off of ac power stored on my boat. And I have a big Mag lite flash light as a back up if I lose power. The first thing I do if I lose power at night is grab my flash light and my flare kit and be on close look out. If I see or hear any boats I'm shooting a flare and waving the flash light like a wild man.
Please if you are going to boat at night BE PREPARED!

BonzaiFry
08-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Im sorry to hear this horible information. I was on the waterfront at crazyhorse and saw the lights flashing at the ramp at windsor. didnt know what had happend but was aware that something was going on. I did see another incident from the channel. A big plume of smoke towards windsor. Anyone have info on that?:(

Havasu_Dreamin
08-02-2004, 07:44 AM
These types of accidetns continue to happen you will see a serious ccrackdown on boating, be it from very strict enforcement of drinking and drivign laws to mandatory licensing. Believe me, the gov't will step in if we as boaters can't make the changes on our own.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by BonzaiFry
I did see another incident from the channel. A big plume of smoke towards windsor. Anyone have info on that?:(
A 26 Howard Cat caught fire on Saturday, about 4:45. Don't know what caued it though.

dmontzsta
08-02-2004, 07:47 AM
I never drive if I drink. I treat the boat just like the car.

Essex502
08-02-2004, 08:04 AM
I switch a coupla' years ago to almost strickly to drinking water if I'm driving the boat that day. Plenty of time to get a buzz when I'm back home and I don't need the problems associated with drinking and driving. Plus...I don't like the feeling when I had even a little buzz and trying to get back to the marina at the end of the day with all of the chop, boat traffic and assinine lake lice.

THOR
08-02-2004, 08:10 AM
Tragedy. :(
I honestly dont understand how folks cannot use a little brain power.
1- slow down when going close to other vessels
2- proceed with caution at night
3- dont get tanked up on the water and drive
It really doesnt take that much stay safe.

bigkatboat
08-02-2004, 08:42 AM
The Howard cat was a friend of mine's. 5 people on board, coming back to the channel. Other boaters reported 'flames' coming out of the carbs, while cruising at aprox. 40 MPH. The motor "coughed once and died". The flames just came forward and the passengers got out OK! Other boaters tried to help the captain fight the fire, but he was overcome by smoke and was 'pulled' off for his own safety. Passengers were picked up by other boats and for all those who came to help, I say "THANK YOU!!!" I have spoken to a family member of the captain, and everyone was "shaken up" but unhurt. The captain is suffering from toxic smoke inhalation, but is up and 'going'. THANK YOU! again, to those of you who are willing to 'jump in and help', when help is really needed.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by bigkatboat
The flames just came forward and the passengers got out OK!
Good to hear! I heard that all of the other boats were throwing the boat in question their extinguishers to try and get the fire out.
Would an automatic halon system have prevented this? We have one and I encourage everyone else to get one. Best $250 we ever spent!

cigarette1
08-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
These types of accidetns continue to happen you will see a serious ccrackdown on boating, be it from very strict enforcement of drinking and drivign laws to mandatory licensing. Believe me, the gov't will step in if we as boaters can't make the changes on our own.
For some crazy reason .... I'm not going to have a problem with that.
With all the yahoos getting boats these days, this shizat is getting out of control.
G

BoatFloating
08-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Would an automatic halon system have prevented this? We have one and I encourage everyone else to get one. Best $250 we ever spent!
I'm not sure in this case. We saw the boat that caught fire after the fire dept was on scene and it had a blower on it and by the way it sounds it backfired thru the carbs and caught the interior on fire. The halon would of helped if it was in the engine compartment. I'm sure it couldn't of hurt. A sad saturday at the lake.:(

Dr. Eagle
08-02-2004, 10:48 AM
The Howard cat was a friend of mine's. 5 people on board, coming back to the channel. Other boaters reported 'flames' coming out of the carbs, while cruising at aprox. 40 MPH. The motor "coughed once and died". The flames just came forward and the passengers got out OK! Other boaters tried to help the captain fight the fire, but he was overcome by smoke and was 'pulled' off for his own safety. Passengers were picked up by other boats and for all those who came to help, I say "THANK YOU!!!" I have spoken to a family member of the captain, and everyone was "shaken up" but unhurt. The captain is suffering from toxic smoke inhalation, but is up and 'going'. THANK YOU! again, to those of you who are willing to 'jump in and help', when help is really needed.
If the engine is in a closed compartment, a halon system would probably have put the fire out before the whole boat went up...

havalen
08-02-2004, 12:33 PM
the boat had halon system one on each side the fire was so hot it kept coming back

Essex502
08-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Maybe I have it wrong or misunderstood...I thought Halon fire extinguishing systems worked only in fairly tightly sealed compartments where the chemical reaction of the Halon can disrupt the chemical process of the fire. Having an open compartment or one that is well ventilated reduces the effectiveness of the Halon extinguisher...true? If others could see the flames popping from the carbs that seems to me to indicate an open compartment or at least one that wasn't adequately sealed to allow the Halon system(s) to work. Or am I wrong on this assumption?

Essex502
08-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
I'm not sure in this case. We saw the boat that caught fire after the fire dept was on scene and it had a blower on it and by the way it sounds it backfired thru the carbs and caught the interior on fire. The halon would of helped if it was in the engine compartment. I'm sure it couldn't of hurt. A sad saturday at the lake.:(
No flame arrestor on the carbs? Sounds like that.

HavasuDreamin'
08-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
Maybe I have it wrong or misunderstood...I thought Halon fire extinguishing systems worked only in fairly tightly sealed compartments where the chemical reaction of the Halon can disrupt the chemical process of the fire. Having an open compartment or one that is well ventilated reduces the effectiveness of the Halon extinguisher...true? If others could see the flames popping from the carbs that seems to me to indicate an open compartment or at least one that wasn't adequately sealed to allow the Halon system(s) to work. Or am I wrong on this assumption?
As I understand it, a halon system kills the fire by neutralizing the oxygen in the area. No oxygen = no fire. If you have an open engine compartment, a halon system won't work. To me it sounds like he had a closed engine compartment, but perhaps the carbs and blower were sticking up through the hatch........thus the fire was outside the hatch, rendering the halon system useless.
HD

havalen
08-02-2004, 01:07 PM
yes the carbs and arester came up thru the hatch now we know

Kachina26
08-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Wakeless speeds 30 minutes after sunset. That law refers to, GOING SLOWLY when the sun goes down. You are at fault, if you are going faster that "wakeless speeds" 30 minutes after sunset. If you have a "total electrical failure" make one person your 'look-out', and try to make some kind of light (any color). Even a mirror will reflect light back to an on coming boat. Wakeless? Even with a full moon? I checked Boat Cop's site and he said this.
BoatCop
Reasonable and Prudent
Tue Mar 12, 2002 13:50
Ah, Yes. The Old Standby - "Reasonable and prudent for the given situation, taking any and all conditions, circumstances, and hazards into account."
There is no set speed limit at night, just as there isn't (generally) during the day. The general rule is to go no faster than you are able to stop the boat in 1/2 of the distance you can clearly see ahead.
As an example: You are going up the River at 40 MPH on Saturday night, Memorial Day weekend, it's pitch black, no moon, heavy traffic, and you run into (over?) an unlighted PWC. Who is at fault?
Answer: Both of you. Him, for not having lights, and you for speed not reasonable and prudent. When boating at night you should expect things like floating debris, unlighted boats, and other hazards, and proceed at a safe speed. Especially if you are a regular on that particular Lake or River. In conditions such as those, maybe 20-25 would be too fast.
At the other end of the spectrum, you're boating on a Tuesday night, full moon, no boats around, calm water. Maybe 40 or 50 MPH isn't that unreasonable.
It all depends on the area you are boating and the conditions existing at that time. It could vary from day-to-day, Lake-to-Lake.
We stop boats at night that we feel are going too fast, just to advise them to slow down. We seldom issue a ticket, unless it's really blatant speed, like WOT, with no regard for the boats around them.
Also, don't use a spotlight for night time navigation. In order to run safely at night you have to have good night-vision, and even a brief exposure to white light of that intensity can make the driver essentially blind, not to mention blinding any boaters that are coming at you.
Alan

Riverready
08-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Here are 2 pics of the Howard fire at Windsor. This was at about 5:00pm. A sad site to see.

Riverready
08-02-2004, 04:46 PM
The other

Tinkerer
08-02-2004, 05:22 PM
That is why I have RADAR.
And a spot light.
I do run on plane at night and in the fog but always with the tabs down so that I am only going about 20-25 MPH.

monkey rage frank
08-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Wow Lance and Wendy Furman and family. I heard of the very awfull bad news today 8/4. I have known Lance since grade school. He was an awsome person,husband,dad and friend. Lance and Wendy met in Downey at Warren high school, they dated and then married a few short years after and moved to Norco where Lance was in the construction bus. I can't say enough great things about Lance and Wendy. Lance was much like all of us, in to motocross,boats,sports,and just all around trying to live life to its fullest. He will be missed very much. I do know that the rest of the family will be taken good care of,because Lance's Dad is awsome much like Lance was. I will take all of your replies (which will appreciated ) to the family. Please Please Please be safe out there we all like to have a good time,but life is precious,enjoy every minute PLEASE TREAT OTHER BOATERS AS YOU WOULD WANT TO TREATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frank

essexjet
08-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Wow Lance and Wendy Furman and family. I heard of the very awfull bad news today 8/4. I have known Lance since grade school. He was an awsome person,husband,dad and friend. Lance and Wendy met in Downey at Warren high school, they dated and then married a few short years after and moved to Norco where Lance was in the construction bus. I can't say enough great things about Lance and Wendy. Lance was much like all of us, in to motocross,boats,sports,and just all around trying to live life to its fullest. He will be missed very much. I do know that the rest of the family will be taken good care of,because Lance's Dad is awsome much like Lance was. I will take all of your replies (which will appreciated ) to the family. Please Please Please be safe out there we all like to have a good time,but life is precious,enjoy every minute PLEASE TREAT OTHER BOATERS AS YOU WOULD WANT TO TREATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frank
Frank very sorry for your lost and the lost of a fellow IE and boater :frown: I saw them put him into a bodybag at windsor launch ramp around 12:30am. We were all sad to see it and now it has a personel side to the story.

Outnumbered
08-05-2004, 01:27 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the family. This is very sad and tragic. I hope the other driver is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
OL :frown:

JetBoatRich
08-05-2004, 03:01 AM
Very sad to read through this event, lets all be safe out there. Make the right choice and don't drink and drive

BILLY.B
08-05-2004, 05:12 AM
I hope the other driver is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
OL :frown: Yeah right. He'll probably get less then a year and a double "HAND SLAP", while Lance's family is without a father. Maybe, just maybe if one of these judge's and or jury's would throw the book at one of these drunk's that drive there boat around thinking they have it going on this wouldn't happen as often as it does. But just like everything else in our beautiful judical system some group of "JACK OFF'S" would come to his or her defense and say the driver has suffered enough.....PLEASE, give me a BREAK!!!. My thought's and prayer's go out to the Furman family.

Seadog
08-05-2004, 05:26 AM
It is always a tragedy. They just found the body of the other guy involved the accident I mentioned. He was found as a floater at the swimming beach. Now we probably have some little kids that are going to have to deal with nightmares.

Backtanner
08-05-2004, 05:48 AM
I see a 6 month suspended sentence coming down the the pipe.

Mrs. casean
08-05-2004, 07:48 AM
I just don't understand why it is so freakin difficult to have a sober driver... Is it really worth leaving your children parentless or leaving yourself childless becuase you wanted to drink then drive and be a dumbfu...k? Not to mention the suffering and neverending questions of the other victims familes and friends. Drinking and driving is just an accident waiting to happen... I have only been on the forums for a few months now, but seriously .. I have read about at least one accident a week from the places I (we all) love to party @ and have good times at. I just don't understand the stupidity of these jackasses out there who don't give a shit about others or their families and would rather have drinks then put themselves in jepordy as well as others out there just having a good time. Gotta vent after reading about so many accidents. Let's be smart out there.

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-05-2004, 07:58 AM
News
Sheriff's office sees sharp increase in OUIs
BY MARK HALL
Wednesday, August 4, 2004 11:13 PM MDT
Mohave County Sheriff's Office this year has already exceeded the number of operating under the influence citations it issued in 2003, a lieutenant said Wednesday.
Lt. Randy Johnson said through June deputies on Lake Havasu issued 46 OUI citations.
Johnson said the high totals are not necessarily reflective of a more proactive approach by deputies, but because of the low occurrence of major boating accidents and fatalities this year, and increased visitation to the lake.
"It's been a lot. In fact, that's equal to last year's total," he said. "What's helped over the two holiday weekends (Memorial Day and the Fourth of July) was we haven't had a lot of accidents."
In past years Johnson said high accident totals redirected deputies to perform associated investigations, instead of performing routine patrols on the lake.
So far, the office has only investigated one fatal accident, which occurred in early July after Roy Addington, 28, of Sandy, Utah, was ejected from a boat off the shore of Crazy Horse Beach. Authorities believed alcohol was a factor in the accident.
Additionally, the office's records through June showed that personnel responded to 23 minor boating accidents and 13 injury accidents.
According to Today's News-Herald records, there have been three other boat-related deaths on the lake this year, which fell under the jurisdiction of the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department. All are believed to have been alcohol-related.
One accident resulted in the death of Steven Patchett, 48, and his 10-year-old son, Tyler, both of Simi Valley, Calif. The accident occurred after the boat the victims were on collided head-on with another boat, near Havasu Springs.
The third death took place last weekend, resulting in the death of Lance Furman, 32, of Norco, Calif., after the boat he was driving was struck by another boat near Havasu Landing Marina.
You may contact the reporter at mhall@havasunews.com.
Victim's mother thanks community for its support
BY MARK HALL
The mother of a California man who died in a boating collision last weekend said she's received an outpouring of public support from Lake Havasu City residents.
Rollene Williamson, who has lived in Lake Havasu City for three years, said Wednesday she has received condolences from many people that she knows, and people she doesn't know. Her son, Lance Furman, 32, of Norco, died Saturday after the boat he was driving was struck by another boat.
"I can't tell you the support from the people here," she said. "It's been amazing."
While Williamson struggles to deal with the death of her son, she is anxiously waiting news about her grandson, Nicholas, 11, who was critically injured in the collision and was still being treated Wednesday in the intensive care unit at University Medical Center in Las Vegas.
It's been hard, she said, because a family feud has limited her access to the hospital.
"I can't even get into the hospital to see my grandson, and I'm not leaving until I see him," she said. "I have grandparents' rights."
A boat allegedly driven by William Wayne Anno, 35, of Downey, Calif., struck the Furmans' boat. Wendy Furman, 33, Lance's wife, was also seriously injured in the wreck. The couple's two youngest children were uninjured, authorities said.
San Bernardino Sheriff's Office arrested Anno and charged him with manslaughter involving a vehicle and boating under the influence with injury.
The collision is still under investigation.
You may contact the reporter at mhall@havasunews.com.

Mrs. casean
08-05-2004, 08:04 AM
So sad... & unfortunate for everyone.

Huckleberry
08-05-2004, 08:50 AM
I honestly dont understand how folks cannot use a little brain power.
1- slow down when going close to other vessels
2- proceed with caution at night
3- dont get tanked up on the water and drive
It really doesnt take that much stay safe.
This is so simple it is worth repeating! Well put Thor! :cool:

norcoredneck
08-06-2004, 01:55 AM
I am a neighbor of the Furman family involved in the accident at Havasu. Anyone interested in helping out should go to www.lancefurman.com to get info. He was a hell of a guy with a great family. His wife can use all help given. I hope anybody who uses the waterways can help, and most of all take note how fast a good time can turn to tragedy if people are not responsible boaters. Thanks