PDA

View Full Version : 20 hr service, is it necessary

cc322
08-01-2004, 06:11 PM
I am approaching 20 hrs on my boat, I seem to be confused on the correct recommendation on service, My merc manual sayÂ’s to do daily checkÂ’s but no fluid changeÂ’s until 100 hrs or yearly. Than I did a search and there seem to be people that still do it at 20 hrs. I really donÂ’t want to spend 300.00 or more for a 20 hr service when the manufacture doesnÂ’t call for one whatÂ’s everyoneÂ’s opinion on this. Sorry this in in the sandbar but it gets way more traffic

dean51267
08-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Man, we ALL have a lot in our boats, to much not to keep the mantenance up in tip/top condition.
Additionally you may need to change after an extended break in period. Should result in longer engine life.b

Kilrtoy
08-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Look again, it does call for it.
After spending all that cash
DONT BE CHEAP

HighRoller
08-01-2004, 06:26 PM
I would recommend it, especially if you take it to a Merc certified dealer. In addition to changing the fluids, they will check the motor and drive for problems. I think as far as warranty issues down the road, proof of a certified maintenance program goes a long way. If you skip the 20 hr, then your drive goes kaput, you might have a battle getting it fixed for free. Just my 2 pennies....

cc322
08-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Well I did look again, and it dosen't call for it until 100 hrs or yearly. To me just seems like a waste of money .The new engines are so advanced that 20 hrs seem to be a little soon imo, but I more than likely will have it done for peace of mind.

KineticoH20
08-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by cc322
Well I did look again, and it dosen't call for it until 100 hrs or yearly. To me just seems like a waste of money .The new engines are so advanced that 20 hrs seem to be a little soon imo, but I more than likely will have it done for peace of mind.
Then you awnsered your own question!

surfer2001
08-01-2004, 07:34 PM
It's required & also it's a good idea to change your motor oil every 20~30 hours too. I got my own oil removal pump from west marine so I could do it myself. By the way if you have the 496 HO you're looking at 10 quarts per oil change!
As we say THAT'S BOATING

Kachina26
08-01-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm a certified GM tech and I paid to have the 20 done. Mostly for drive alignment and just to say I did. I know that when I do a tune I check for things that a do it yourselfer wouldn't. I know what the typical failures are, so I figure if you're droppin the coin to have me check it out then I'm gonna do just that. Besides what's $300 on a $70k purchase?

Dr. Eagle
08-01-2004, 07:50 PM
K26 hit it on the head. It is as much about changing lubes (and looking for leaks) as it is about making sure the engine and drive are properly aligned and all the systems on the drive are tight and adjusted properly after some use and vibration.
I'd spend the money, I did on all 4 boats I bought new over the years.

Ivan Dan
08-01-2004, 07:50 PM
The 20 hour service is more than just changing the fluids. They pull rethe drive off grease everything including the gimbal bearing and then reinstall the drive and make sure its aligned properly. I'm having the service done right now at Absolute Speed and Marine in Havasu they came highly recommended and actually ended up one of the cheapest price wise.
Magic told me after I do the 20 hour service that I don't need to change the oilh again until 100 hours or once per season. I think more like every 20-30 hours its what I will shoot for.

Jdbuck
08-01-2004, 07:52 PM
The alignment issues is the most important out of the 20 hr service. They should remove your entire out drive unit and make sure everything has broken in properly and is aligned. I have heard horror stories about a bearing in there not being aligned properly and was not corrected. Big time expense for repairs, and that would not be under warranty!
Its a little bit of money to spend to know your boat will last a long time....

Kachina26
08-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
K26 hit it on the head. It is as much about changing lubes (and looking for leaks) as it is about making sure the engine and drive are properly aligned and all the systems on the drive are tight and adjusted properly after some use and vibration.
I'd spend the money, I did on all 4 boats I bought new over the years.
But........................ You have to find the shop that's gonna look for the other stuff and not just change the oil.

Dr. Eagle
08-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
But........................ You have to find the shop that's gonna look for the other stuff and not just change the oil.
And as they say "there in lies the rub".......

jbtrailerjim
08-01-2004, 08:29 PM
At 20hrs after the break in period. The only thing Mercury recomends to do is to; change the oil filters. After that they recommend the oil and fiters changed every 100hrs or anually. According to the manual, you don't have pull the drive and check the alignment until 200 hrs. I don't think I would wait that long to do that though.

Dr. Eagle
08-01-2004, 08:39 PM
That must me a new phenom... every one of the new boats I have bought over the years had a service schedule that looked like this...
Unfortunately I don't have my mercruiser shop manuals here... and this was the best I could come up with right now... but I am sure the 20 hour service is a very comprehensive inspection (to validate installation), including oil in both engine and drive, and oil filterMaint Schedule (http://www.stingrayboats.com/owners/service_guide.html)

jbtrailerjim
08-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
That must me a new phenom... every one of the new boats I have bought over the years had a service schedule that looked like this...
Unfortunately I don't have my mercruiser shop manuals here... and this was the best I could come up with right now... but I am sure the 20 hour service is a very comprehensive inspection (to validate installation), including oil in both engine and drive, and oil filterMaint Schedule (http://www.stingrayboats.com/owners/service_guide.html)
I dunno. I just read it in my maintenance manual and thats what they recommend. I don't agree with only checking the drive alignment only every 200hrs. But who the hell am I. I'm no stinking Mercruiser mechanic.;) :D

Dr. Eagle
08-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
I dunno. I just read it in my maintenance manual and thats what they recommend. I don't agree with only checking the drive alignment only every 200hrs. But who the hell am I. I'm no stinking Mercruiser mechanic.;) :D
I guess they really believe in their products... but that is a change and a recent one at that... My 2000 Eliminator/mercruiser manual required the drive alignment at 20 hours I am almost sure. I did it anyway.

hoolign
08-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by cc322
I am approaching 20 hrs on my boat, I seem to be confused on the correct recommendation on service, My merc manual sayÂ’s to do daily checkÂ’s but no fluid changeÂ’s until 100 hrs or yearly. Than I did a search and there seem to be people that still do it at 20 hrs. I really donÂ’t want to spend 300.00 or more for a 20 hr service when the manufacture doesnÂ’t call for one whatÂ’s everyoneÂ’s opinion on this. Sorry this in in the sandbar but it gets way more traffic
sell the boat ,buy a chainsaw,, if ya cant afford the 300 bucks,you shouldnt have a boat!,the most damage your engine will see(if your not cheap with the oil changes) is the break in period

surfer2001
08-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Lets not forget the impeller; I just replaced mine at 60 hours. It looked a little worn, and I use my boat 2~3 weekends per month. If your boat sits, the impeller can get hard and breakdown rapidly. If you overheat, youÂ’re in for an expensive visit to the shop.

LUVNLIFE
08-02-2004, 02:29 AM
All maintenance is necessary;)

Kilrtoy
08-02-2004, 02:53 AM
Basicially what they are all saying is, Dont be a tight wad, protect your expensive ass invest.
The best sign I have seen in a long time goes somthing like this,
Dont bring in your 300K boat and then complain about a $20 part.
It could be a little off...

cc322
08-02-2004, 04:30 AM
This was just a question, I am buy no means cheap. :yuk: I will do what it takes to keep my stuff running well, if that means getting a 20hr service so be it I will spend the money and do it. I was just looking for some other opinons, Now is lakeland marine any good?

That Guy
08-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Just dealt with the same issue. The manual doesn't call for a 20 hour service. I double checked it and then called Gaines Marine to triple check. I was told that Mercury doesn't require a 20 hour service but Gaines suggested getting it in somewhere between 20-30 hours for all the reasons everyone has stated above. I agree, money well spent......