PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Sequoia

Rod-64
08-01-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm thinking about getting a 2002 TS.........Does anyone drive one? Any pros or cons?
Thanks

Kilrtoy
08-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Dude its a TOYOTA, They dont get built any better, BUT
how big is that baja......

Rod-64
08-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Dude its a TOYOTA, They dont get built any better, BUT
how big is that baja......
Baja is 18 1/2 feet..........My Jeep Grand Cherokee pulls it fine but it's getting older and I want more room...........It always gets packed to the roof when I go to Costco.:D
The Toyotas hold their value more and this limited one has all the toys like my Jeep limited.

HighRoller
08-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Why would you buy a Toyota if you want a truck? They make nice cars but their trucks are for girls. The largest V8 they make is smaller than the biggest 6 cylinder GM! Get a REAL truck...i.e. one that is made in America!

Kilrtoy
08-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
Why would you buy a Toyota if you want a truck? They make nice cars but their trucks are for girls. The largest V8 they make is smaller than the biggest 6 cylinder GM! Get a REAL truck...i.e. one that is made in America!
he is pulling a 18' boat.
If they ever made a truck that could pull some serious weight, I would dump the ford in a blink of an eye.
That truck would work great for you...
AND NEVER BREAK DOWN

HighRoller
08-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Funny...my Dad pulls a 10,000lb travel trailer. Since buying his 03 F250HD last year he has been from Cali to New York and all over the east coast spending up almost 10,000 miles. Recently he went from Cali up to Alaska and back, a trip of almost 11,000 miles without a problem towing the trailer. He gets almost 13MPG and has never broken down. I guess a Toyota would do better....

Kilrtoy
08-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Funny...my Dad pulls a 10,000lb travel trailer. Since buying his 03 F250HD last year he has been from Cali to New York and all over the east coast spending up almost 10,000 miles. Recently he went from Cali up to Alaska and back, a trip of almost 11,000 miles without a problem towing the trailer. He gets almost 13MPG and has never broken down. I guess a Toyota would do better....
No a TOY could not do it,
That is what I said they dont build trucks that can tow anything heavy....

Wakker
08-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Highroller,
GM's biggest V6 is 4.3L while toyota's V8 is 4.7L

HighRoller
08-02-2004, 01:30 AM
I never said V-6.....GM's inline 6 puts out 275HP while Toyota's V-8 puts out 245....If you want a TOY truck buy a TOYota. Have fun downshifting.

Bow Tie Omega
08-02-2004, 04:25 AM
I have pulled my 21 ft boat with a Tundra, a 2002, plenty of power, I have pulled it with my friends 6.0 Diesel also. WHile the Diesel did a better job, there was not that much of a difference. And while you will only get about 150,000 miles out of a Ford, Chevy or Dodge(Unless it is a diesel), you will get 300,000 out of the Toyota (that Tundra just hit 200,000 and passed its smog check with brand new car numbers). So, in my opinion, it comes down to simple economics. You can listen to all of the band wagoners bash Toyota, but the results speak for themself. Big deal if you have to take it out of overdrive going up the Cajon, I have had to in every other vehicle I have towed with as well. For your needs, towing an 18 1/2 foot boat, you will be very pleased with the Sequoia. And another nice thing, Toyota (besides for the name) is as American built as any other of the manufacturers, I know that the Tundra Factory is in Idaho.

HighRoller
08-02-2004, 05:12 AM
I know that the Tundra Factory is in Idaho.
But the dollars still go to Japan so don't try to pretend Toyota is an "American" truck. If you drive around towing nothing or a tiny boat you should buy one no doubt. They are comfy for medium sized people. But if you really need some weight towed and are taller than 6 feet, get a Chevy or GMC. Fords are too small for big guys too.

MagicMtnDan
08-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Toyota and Honda make the best vehicles in the world. The Sequoia is up to pulling that boat. Buy it and relax knowing that you'll get years of satisfaction.
But the US makes are doing much better in terms of quality and certainly will tow like no others.
Toyota's next pickup ought to be a full-size beast capable of competing with Nissan's Titan and the American's too. Here's a look at their conceptual version of it - looks good!
http://www.autogeek.com/Graphics/%7B87659911-B71D-40B9-A9DE-AC5D57AAB77E%7D_MVC-021S-normal.jpg

rivercrazy
08-02-2004, 08:34 AM
I wonder where all the domestic trucks are built and assembled - its sad but they are ALL built in Mexico and Canada. All the Tundras are made here in the US. Yea some of the money made from the Tundra's gets sent back to Japan. However, think of all the salaries that are paid by making them here. If you compare that to all the money paid out to other countries to make the domestic trucks, what gets sent back to Japan PALES in comparison.....And where does the profit go for the domestic trucks? To high paid management and the stockholders. Not th the common man that needs a job......Just food for thought.
As for the towing ability of the 4.7L V8 in the Tundra/Sequoia, they do a great job. I've put 131,000 hard miles on my Tundra and it runs as good as new. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it. It pulled my 21 foot 4,000 pound boat like it wasn't even there. I've been pulling my 25 foot 5,500-6,000 pound boat with it for over two years now and it pulls it very well. I've also rented a number of 18 - 21 travel trailers and pulled very steep grades in the mountains and it also does fine with those loads.
A 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck its not. But its a top notch 1/2 ton truck for medium towing duty. I wouldn't buy any other truck in the 1/2 ton range. Toyota's are bulletproof......

BrendellaJet
08-02-2004, 08:43 AM
But the dollars still go to Japan so don't try to pretend Toyota is an "American" truck. If you drive around towing nothing or a tiny boat you should buy one no doubt. They are comfy for medium sized people. But if you really need some weight towed and are taller than 6 feet, get a Chevy or GMC. Fords are too small for big guys too.
You are stupid. The factory employs AMERICAN people. Its better for our economy than having the truck built in FOcking mexico. Just because the dollars go to Japan, doesn't mean that they dont get taxed first. Please move to Canada, Im trying to get all the idiots out of this country.

RiverDave
08-02-2004, 08:58 AM
HighRoller, long story short..
Three potential tow vehicles in my family.
Navigator
BMW X5 (4.4 litre)
Toyota Tundra..
The Navi is at the bottom of the list for towing.. :(
The X5 is at the top believe it or not, and the Tundra falls somewhere in the middle.
RD

LLGirl
08-02-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm proof that not all of the money goes to Japan. As an associate at Toyota HQ here in Cali, some of that money goes toward my river house and my family's enjoyment on the river;)
Oh yea - the Sequoia is an awesome SUV! One of my co-workers tows her 21' Warlock with no problems.

MAINEVENT
08-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Rod-64
I'm thinking about getting a 2002 TS.........Does anyone drive one? Any pros or cons?
Thanks
My dad traded his F-350 for one and it pulls his boat cherry only 18ft ski boat, only had one problem with a axle leaking but warranty covered it he totally digs it, I had two toyota's and couldn't break um if i tried they were strong trucks, now i have a Chevy Sub 3/4 ton and it pisses me off when my dad flies by me up cajon pass
Toyota :D They are good trucks

superdave013
08-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Toyata trucks are made in Princton Indiana.
BTW, I am from Anderson Indiana, home of closed down GM plants.
I think those peolpe in Princton are happy to have the job.

eliminatedsprinter
08-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
he is pulling a 18' boat.
If they ever made a truck that could pull some serious weight, I would dump the ford in a blink of an eye.
That truck would work great for you...
AND NEVER BREAK DOWN
I agree...Toyota's are built to be more reliable...

Rod-64
08-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Went today and it's 31k with 49k miles.
Will test drive tomorrow and see what their bottom price is.
They are asking high kbb.

MagicMtnDan
08-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Rod-64
Went today and it's 31k with 49k miles.
Will test drive tomorrow and see what their bottom price is.
They are asking high kbb.
If it's a private owner, don't pay KBB (let alone high KBB). If it's a dealer, don't pay KBB (let alone high KBB). There are a zillion used vehicles out there that people can't sell. It's a used car buyer's market and unless it's a collectible or special vehicle, you should be able to get whatever you want at less than KBB.

ROZ
08-02-2004, 04:54 PM
You should be able to get a better price than that through a Toota fleet department. I got a deal on a new sr5 for a friend of my wife's from my uncle's dealership for 32k the year it came out...
My cousin has the TS limited on 22 that pulld a 20th boat plus a s h i t load of gear with 2 children and 6 adults with no problems at all....
I'd love to have one. :)

78sleekcraft
08-02-2004, 07:52 PM
My family is very Toyota loyal. You just have to rember that every truck has its place, I have a 92 Toyota truck that I bought to drive to college in 1995 It now has 206,000 miles no repairs other than maintance( brakes, shocks, tune ups, belts, and hoses) and how many people know a teenage boy that drives nice. My wifes car is a 1997 toyota camry with 190,000 miles. Dad has two work trucks a 1989 toyota truck that has surived two sixteen year old drivers myself and my younger brother, and a 1994 toyota 4X4 that has 160,000 miles which he bashes thorughly. And my mother has a 2004 toyota highlander. two months old 7,000 miles. The 1989 and 1992 toyota trucks spent many sundays at the 1/8 mile strip before "import tuning was cool" . Every vehicle has its place I would not try to pull a 21 foot boat with my Toyota but I do with my Nissan!

Slib77
08-03-2004, 12:51 PM
I never said V-6.....GM's inline 6 puts out 275HP while Toyota's V-8 puts out 245....If you want a TOY truck buy a TOYota. Have fun downshifting.
Here are the specs.
GM
I-6 4.2L on the Trailblazer
275 HP
275 lbs
6000 lbs max towing
4 speed auto
2WD
Toyota Sequoia
V-8 4.7L
240 HP
315 lbs
6500 lbs towing
4 speed auto
2WD
Lets go with the 4Runner if you really want to compare something in the same class as the Trailblazer.
4Runner
V-8 4.7L
235 HP
320 lbs
7300 lbs towing
5 speed auto.
2WD
I thought tourque was the main determining factor in pulling.
Your the one who wanted to compare it to the I-6.
Not trying to stir $h*t. Get what makes you happy.
-Proud owner of two Toyota 4Runners
1988 4WD V-6 OG owner. almost 300k
2003 4WD V-8 Limited